Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

Rinkside

News Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

They announced at the end of the U.S. Championships today that Mirai is appealing the decision made to keep her off of the team.

Custom Title
    Bad move by Mirai. She has no chance of winning.

Custom Title
    Doubt this happens. I do think she got screwed to an extent but the rules, by way of legal jargon, are that they can do whatever they want. If they wanted Siraj, Zawadski and Forte as the team, that's what it would be. There is no accountability for their decisions. Protesting it is pointless.

We'll see. Andrea Joyce said that Johnny Weir said that Mirai was writing letter to the selection committee. Mirai's problem is that there is no one to appeal to. The rules are clear: the committee can do as it pleases.

Medalist
    There would not be a 3rd spot to fight over if not for Ashley and Gracie.

Rinkside
    Mirai has the right to appeal, regardless of her chance of winning or the ultimate outcome, and I support her. Actually, I feel sorry for Ashley, as she has been placed in a very uncomfortable position, and her addition to the team will place additional stress and scrutiny on her.

Custom Title
    I doubt she'll win, but good for her anyway. She has nothing to lose at this point--what will they do, retaliate against her for the 2018 Olympics? I doubt she's going to that one.

The selection was done poorly. If they want to give an automatic space to say, someone who medals in the GPF, that's fine. But spell it out first and be consistent. It's not like when a spot was held for Nancy or Todd. Ashley wasn't injured. She was just bad.

Custom Title
    Don't think it's a bad move. Why wouldn't you appeal? Doesn't reflect badly or hinder her in any way.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    I think Mirai has people talking in her ear. There was a lot of support from former skaters, Naomi Lang, Bebe Liang, and Christa Fassi. I wouldn't doubt it. She isn't going to win but she has some brass ones.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Bad move by Mirai. She has no chance of winning.
    I'm not so sure it's a bad move. That would suggest she has something to lose by petitioning. I agree that, sadly, I don't think it will do any good, but she's at Nationals with no one to advocate for herself, no one to politick, and it's great that even though she got passed over, she still is showing that agency and personal drive that she had on display all week.

Even if nothing comes of a petition at least this way she'll know she left no stone unturned.

If nothing does come of the petition, I'm still so proud for her with all the work she put into bringing herself to this moment. I hope that we will see the resurgent Mirai continue to move forward and compete at 4CC and at Worlds this year.

Lord knows she deserves it.

Custom Title
    I also do not think her appeal will be successful. However, I say, YOU GO, GIRL!!!

Custom Title
    What's the point of appealing, anyway? What part of the rules would indicate that the selection committee erred? The standard isn't to show that she deserves it more than one of the people on the team, she has to show that the selection committee didn't follow its rules. I'm having a hard time seeing how she will be able to argue that.

go Mirai! yeah why not appeal? she has nothing to lose.

The thing is, what is Mirai going to say, and who is she going to say it to?

"Dear selection committee: I think you should have sent me instead of Ashley."

"Dear Mirai: No, we think we did right by sending Ashley. Thanks for your interest in United States Figure Skating."

Mirai can file a claim at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast