Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

Snapper

Spectator
They announced at the end of the U.S. Championships today that Mirai is appealing the decision made to keep her off of the team.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Doubt this happens. I do think she got screwed to an extent but the rules, by way of legal jargon, are that they can do whatever they want. If they wanted Siraj, Zawadski and Forte as the team, that's what it would be. There is no accountability for their decisions. Protesting it is pointless.

We'll see. Andrea Joyce said that Johnny Weir said that Mirai was writing letter to the selection committee. Mirai's problem is that there is no one to appeal to. The rules are clear: the committee can do as it pleases.

Harness

Rinkside
Mirai has the right to appeal, regardless of her chance of winning or the ultimate outcome, and I support her. Actually, I feel sorry for Ashley, as she has been placed in a very uncomfortable position, and her addition to the team will place additional stress and scrutiny on her.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I doubt she'll win, but good for her anyway. She has nothing to lose at this point--what will they do, retaliate against her for the 2018 Olympics? I doubt she's going to that one.

The selection was done poorly. If they want to give an automatic space to say, someone who medals in the GPF, that's fine. But spell it out first and be consistent. It's not like when a spot was held for Nancy or Todd. Ashley wasn't injured. She was just bad.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Don't think it's a bad move. Why wouldn't you appeal? Doesn't reflect badly or hinder her in any way.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I think Mirai has people talking in her ear. There was a lot of support from former skaters, Naomi Lang, Bebe Liang, and Christa Fassi. I wouldn't doubt it. She isn't going to win but she has some brass ones.

samson

Medalist
Bad move by Mirai. She has no chance of winning.

I'm not so sure it's a bad move. That would suggest she has something to lose by petitioning. I agree that, sadly, I don't think it will do any good, but she's at Nationals with no one to advocate for herself, no one to politick, and it's great that even though she got passed over, she still is showing that agency and personal drive that she had on display all week.

Even if nothing comes of a petition at least this way she'll know she left no stone unturned.

If nothing does come of the petition, I'm still so proud for her with all the work she put into bringing herself to this moment. I hope that we will see the resurgent Mirai continue to move forward and compete at 4CC and at Worlds this year.

Lord knows she deserves it.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
What's the point of appealing, anyway? What part of the rules would indicate that the selection committee erred? The standard isn't to show that she deserves it more than one of the people on the team, she has to show that the selection committee didn't follow its rules. I'm having a hard time seeing how she will be able to argue that.

The thing is, what is Mirai going to say, and who is she going to say it to?

"Dear selection committee: I think you should have sent me instead of Ashley."

"Dear Mirai: No, we think we did right by sending Ashley. Thanks for your interest in United States Figure Skating."

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
What's the point of appealing, anyway? What part of the rules would indicate that the selection committee erred? The standard isn't to show that she deserves it more than one of the people on the team, she has to show that the selection committee didn't follow its rules. I'm having a hard time seeing how she will be able to argue that.

Think about it, yesterday she said she would have to respect whatever decision was made. Now there is a different tune. Some one has to be guiding her.

BarbC

Rinkside
Near, I don't know all of the particulars, but my view is simple: If the USFSA wants to base its determination on past performances, the skater who should be out is Polina Edmunds, as she has *zero* international experience. Mirai Nagasu only finished behind her by three points -- and either way, if you take Edmunds *or* Nagasu, it's a risk and a wild card.

If you pick Ashley Wagner due to her consistency, then you should pick Nagasu because at least she *has* a track record. That's the argument *I* would make, in Nagasu's place . . . she is not likely to prevail, no, but making the argument at least asserts that she won't be anyone's pushover. And by doing this, it may help her in her personal life as she moves forward from this . . . when you do your best and are denied your chance at the Olympics, especially when you've done well at them before, that is a serious problem for most people, which is why I'm *glad* she's appealing on a personal level even though the USFSA is very unlikely to change their mind.

McIce

Rinkside
The thing is, what is Mirai going to say, and who is she going to say it to?

"Dear selection committee: I think you should have sent me instead of Ashley."

"Dear Mirai: No, we think we did right by sending Ashley. Thanks for your interest in United States Figure Skating."

Yeah, USFSA can do whatever they want. The selection criteria is totally up to them to explain, so what can Mirai argue to?

Besides, she may anger USFSA more and doesn't even get the chance to go to the Worlds. Why risk that? Unless, she doesn't care anymore and want to retire right away.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm honestly baffled by the people who think she should not do this. Of course she isn't going to win, but why not try? She has a colorable argument andat least this way, as someone else said, she will know she didn't leave any options open. It looks to me like she's doing something showing she's serious about her career/the sport, which is what so many people here have wished she'd do for years anyway. Why say she shouldn't do this? She's not in favor with USFSA anyway, so no chance of 'burning' that bridge- at this time no bridge exists, and if anything, I think this might say to them she is serious (though again, I don't think she can win.)

I actually really think it's great she is doing this.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Mirai also isn't a particular articulate person. I can't imagine how weak her arguments would be. I mean, I guess she could campaign against Edmunds' non-record and the overblown success of her junior season vs. Mirai's senior since if the selection process applies to one it should apply to all, but that kid has all the political support she needs, Mirai has literally nobody but herself in her corner, it's not an airtight case due to her blowing it at NHK, and in reality - and most importantly - USFSA don't need to respond to anything she has to say since they represent both the judge and jury in this situation.