Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For that matter, according to Twitter Nagasu sent Wagner a message of support and encouragement after the decision was made. Too bad many of Nagasu's fans resorted to the opposite.

Adding to R.D.'s post: the tweet was from ESPN reporter @Bonnie_D_Ford -- i.e., a reliable source. (And it was retweeted by @USFigureSkating.)
. @AshWagner2010 on conference call: " @mirai_nagasu texted me, said 'You belong on the team, good luck, love you.' ''
2:38 PM - 23 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/Bonnie_D_Ford/status/426484050459492352

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Adding to R.D.'s post: the tweet was from ESPN reporter @Bonnie_D_Ford -- i.e., a reliable source. (And it was retweeted by @USFigureSkating.)
. @AshWagner2010 on conference call: " @mirai_nagasu texted me, said 'You belong on the team, good luck, love you.' ''
2:38 PM - 23 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/Bonnie_D_Ford/status/426484050459492352

Aw - Mirai's a real sweetheart. I hope she stays in and improves tremendously next season with the help of Coach Mura. Above all, I hope that she is happy, that she still loves what she is doing.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Per rosewood on FSU, Japanese media reported that Mr. Mura is a temporary coach, and that Mirai had fallen ill before 4CC (after Nationals) and was fervently trying to recover in time. :

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
For a temporary coach, I think that Mr. Mura did a heck of a job with Mirai in the short time between NHK/Rostelecom and Rostelecom/Nationals. Too bad Mirai got sick. Endurance will for sure be an issue in the FS at 4CCs if it was in the SP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Per rosewood on FSU, Japanese media reported that Mr. Mura is a temporary coach, and that Mirai had fallen ill before 4CC (after Nationals) and was fervently trying to recover in time. :

oh no. I hope it isn`t too serious like h1n1 or envyitus. totally different but both very serious.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
2014 Olympic figure skater Ashley Wagner: Mirai Nagasu has been 'phenomenal'

http://www.examiner.com/article/201...shley-wagner-mirai-nagasu-has-been-phenomenal

When pressed to name a specific source of comfort, she cited an unlikely person: 2010 Olympian Mirai Nagasu, who was denied a spot on the Sochi-bound team despite a bronze medal finish at nationals. Wagner called Nagasu's handling of her omission from the team "phenomenal," and revealed that shortly after the three-woman roster that features herself, Polina Edmunds and new national champ Gracie Gold was revealed, Nagasu sent Wagner a text that read "you belong on the team, good luck, love you." Wagner called Nagasu's endorsement "all I needed to feel right" about the sticky selection situation.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
@aftertherain Thank you for posting the link to that article! I'm so glad that it was like a balm on Ashley's soul - to know that Mirai is in her corner.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Is it possible this thread is 44 pages? I know I'm not going to read them. When threads go over say, 20 pages, and have multiple links to news sources, I wish there was a way to get the condensed readers digest version. With ongong competition videos, the best skates to rewatch, one could spend hours keeping abreast of this one situation. I am very happy to hear what Mirai said to Ashley. I assume this means Mirai has no intention to lodge a formal complaint?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Is it possible this thread is 44 pages? I know I'm not going to read them. When threads go over say, 20 pages, and have multiple links to news sources, I wish there was a way to get the condensed readers digest version. With ongong competition videos, the best skates to rewatch, one could spend hours keeping abreast of this one situation. I am very happy to hear what Mirai said to Ashley. I assume this means Mirai has no intention to lodge a formal complaint?

Short version: Johnny blabbed about talking to Mirai and that she would lodge a complaint the day the teams were announced. She never did. We fought about whether Mirai, Polina, or Ashley should stay home. No consensus although there were a lot of hurt feelings.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
try being both a fan of B/S and S/P in 2002 and after...

I was thrilled about the tie and wish is had happened for Nancy. Nancy/Oksana were both great in their day, and I wish Jan Hoffman (was he the German judge who gave Oksana the one tenth extra on artistic mark, thus awarding her gold)? I wish they had tied, tho for me Nancy put down two best of life skates after what she went through.

Tied-Tara and MK in Nagano. Ok so Tara had a superior jumping program, but Lyra is the skate most iconic for the young Michelle. Tie! One skate I feel was impossible to judge without a tie was 96 worlds. Lu Chen is still the best lady to come out of China-a huge country. I really felt they were so close in many ways. MK and Lu. Why can't there be ties?

My question to you Toni...were the fans really fighting in 2002 over that tie? Sounds like boards were not fun. It seemed all lovey dovey for the 4 as they did tv interviews and SOI shows.

wallylutz

Medalist
Thanks for the article! Like Dai, I'm sure Wagner felt bad enough denying Mirai a team spot, but it's good to hear that Mirai still supports her and wishes her well.

Hate to break up this warm & fuzzy feelings but it was pointed out the day USFS issued a statement for Mirai who stated that although she didn't agree with the decision, she accepts it - she re-tweeted something from a friends of her who alledged she got a "gag order". It's buried somewhere in this thread. Clearly, these are contradictory statements and behaviors. I'll let you be the judge.

chloepoco

Medalist
Hate to break up this warm & fuzzy feelings but it was pointed out the day USFS issued a statement for Mirai who stated that although she didn't agree with the decision, she accepts it - she re-tweeted something from a friends of her who alledged she got a "gag order". It's buried somewhere in this thread. Clearly, these are contradictory statements and behaviors. I'll let you be the judge.

I don't see what's so contradictory about it. But then, of course, you are the one who accused Mirai of "lacking class" for becoming emotional during her gala exhibition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Time heals all wounds. Mirai was mad at first, now a little less.

Agreed. She had to appeal, even though it was a shot in the dark, and even though she knew that Wagner was indeed deserving of the team. Hope her fans eventually come to terms with it as Mirai herself has.

chloepoco

Medalist
Agreed. She had to appeal, even though it was a shot in the dark, and even though she knew that Wagner was indeed deserving of the team. Hope her fans eventually come to terms with it as Mirai herself has.

She didn't appeal, though. Thought it was just an inquiry on what the process was for appealing?

leafygreens

Final Flight

A gag order?! Double-U Tee Eff. They can't stop her from speaking.