Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

leafygreens

Final Flight
@aftertherain Thank you for posting the link to that article! I'm so glad that it was like a balm on Ashley's soul - to know that Mirai is in her corner.

I think it's very telling that Ashley had to "advertise" a private tweet between two friends. It's one-sided, and we still don't know how Mirai feels; only Ashley's version of how Mirai feels.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it's very telling that Ashley had to "advertise" a private tweet between two friends. It's one-sided, and we still don't know how Mirai feels; only Ashley's version of how Mirai feels.

"When pressed to name a specific source of comfort, she cited an unlikely person: 2010 Olympian Mirai Nagasu" Doesn't seem like she had to "advertise", nor would she have any reason to lie about a text Mirai sent her. These attempts to continue to vilify Wagner, especially when the ultimate decision was the USFSA's, have gotten rather tedious. Unless you blame Wagner for skating a solid past two seasons that easily eclipsed Mirai these past two seasons... in which case, yes, that is indeed her fault.

R.D.

Record Breaker

That is true - I don't know the context but it sounds to me like Wagner did that to try to calm the storm - " see, even Nagasu herself is supporting me so why can't the rest of you move on already?"

leafygreens

Final Flight
Ashley is trying to justify her placement on the team by stooping as low as possible. "When pressed" she could have named someone other than the person she stomped on to get to the Olympics. Her comment sounds very back-stabby. Mirai being "phenomenal" only shows how classy Mirai is and how Ashley needs re-inforcement to feel good about this unethical decision.

leafygreens

Final Flight
That is true - I don't know the context but it sounds to me like Wagner did that to try to calm the storm - " see, even Nagasu herself is supporting me so why can't the rest of you move on already?"

If Ashley wants to "calm the storm," she should stop talking. Somehow, opening her mouth always causes more controversy. Notice we have not heard a peep from Mirai Nagasu.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner didn't "stomp on" Nagasu - USFS did (if we must use that term).

If USFS chose Nagasu, nothing Wagner could have done but look to 2018. She had little or no power here (I think).

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I'll wait until her teleconference is posted and I can hear it in context before passing final judgment. Isolated quotes in articles can be misleading...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If Ashley wants to "calm the storm," she should stop talking.

EVERY single one of the Team USA skaters going to Sochi has been talking to the media ever since the Olympic team was announced.
The media wants to speak to all of them, and USFS would like all of them to speak to the media.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley is trying to justify her placement on the team by stooping as low as possible. "When pressed" she could have named someone other than the person she stomped on to get to the Olympics. Her comment sounds very back-stabby. Mirai being "phenomenal" only shows how classy Mirai is and how Ashley needs re-inforcement to feel good about this unethical decision.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks lying is better thatn coming across "back-stabby" :rolleye: NOT!

ForeverFish

Medalist

"You deserve the spot, good luck. Love you."

Unless you're suggesting that Ashley flat-out lied during her media conference, I think Mirai's text is about as straightforward as it gets.

ForeverFish

Medalist
If Ashley wants to "calm the storm," she should stop talking. Somehow, opening her mouth always causes more controversy. Notice we have not heard a peep from Mirai Nagasu.

As was mentioned after the Nationals exhibition, Mirai has chosen not to speak to the media. Ashley, on the other hand, is expected by the USFS and the USOC to talk to the press, no matter how much controversy she's steeped in. She's an eloquent woman; she should be allowed to express her side of the story.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Funny, for being stomped on I see no bruises or cuts where the skate blades must have hit her on the photos or videos after the Ladies LP... Mirai is one tough cookie to walk away without so much as a scratch from a fellow skater's "stomping"... :disapp:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hate to break up this warm & fuzzy feelings but it was pointed out the day USFS issued a statement for Mirai who stated that although she didn't agree with the decision, she accepts it - she re-tweeted something from a friends of her who alledged she got a "gag order". It's buried somewhere in this thread. Clearly, these are contradictory statements and behaviors. I'll let you be the judge.

Let it go already. Ashley and Mirai have. You should too Negative Nelly :rolleye:

wallylutz

Medalist
Let it go already. Ashley and Mirai have.

Obviously, not everyone believe this based on the reactions from this thread. Ashley citing Mirai as her inspiration? :unsure: A likely story indeed... I am not allergic to anything except BS.

You should too Negative Nelly :rolleye:

Awesome, I have a new nickname! :laugh: More likely though, pointing the fact that Mirai's statements and reactions are contradictory and inconsistent touched the nerves somewhere. I made no judgement on that, merely pointing out the inconsistency as a matter of fact. Frankly, what Mathman said in response to that made sense, so I'll just leave it at that.

There is a lot of BS flying and PR statements made since Nationals, what doesn't change is results and this recent one : Mirai Nagasu, TES = 48.67 in Free Skate with 3 X < + 1 X <<, finishing last of the 3 U.S. ladies It goes to show USFS was right in not selecting her for the Olympics or Worlds. Once again, her international results showed why.

R.D.

Record Breaker
There is a lot of BS flying and PR statements made since Nationals, what doesn't change is results and this recent one : Mirai Nagasu, TES = 48.67 in Free Skate with 3 X < + 1 X <<, finishing last of the 3 U.S. ladies It goes to show USFS was right in not selecting her for the Olympics or Worlds. Once again, her international results showed why.

Except there's one vital piece to this puzzle that we're still missing: Wagner's result at the Olympic Games.

ETA: Or, if you prefer, Edmunds' result at the Olympic Games.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Mirai's poor showing at 4CCs could result from her traumatic experience at National's or one might conclude that her spectacular comeback at National's was a fluke. Since this is the season's end for her, we have no way of knowing. Will this mark the end of her skating career, or will there be another chapter?

leafygreens

Final Flight
Except there's one vital piece to this puzzle that we're still missing: Wagner's result at the Olympic Games.

ETA: Or, if you prefer, Edmunds' result at the Olympic Games.

Exactly. You can't compare Mirai's results to Ashley's results that don't exist yet. No matter what happens, Mirai's results will get shot down as "performing badly in a weak field" whereas if Ashley performs badly it will be "in a strong field." :rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's pretty rude to suggest Mirai supporters need to get a life. Keep it classy, ptf. If you're even capable of being what constitutes classy. :p

As much as I feel for Mirai, this confirms the USFSA's decision. It's highly unlikely that Wagner only lands 2 triples in Sochi and posts a sub-160 score. To be honest, instead of hoping for Wagner to supremely bomb so they can continue to complain about Mirai being sent, I would hope Mirai's supporters come around and cheer Wagner to do well for team USA.