Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

Gigi13

On the Ice
I'm honestly baffled by the people who think she should not do this. Of course she isn't going to win, but why not try? She has a colorable argument andat least this way, as someone else said, she will know she didn't leave any options open. It looks to me like she's doing something showing she's serious about her career/the sport, which is what so many people here have wished she'd do for years anyway. Why say she shouldn't do this? She's not in favor with USFSA anyway, so no chance of 'burning' that bridge- at this time no bridge exists, and if anything, I think this might say to them she is serious (though again, I don't think she can win.)

I actually really think it's great she is doing this.

I agree I think it's really great she's doing this and I'm not sure she'll win but hey I'll support her through this no matter what, I have to add the Ashley hate is getting annoying to me she deserves to go to Sochi she had an amazing season it's Polina's spot that's questionable. It's that Tara Lipinski thirst lol.

B---

Spectator
Has the Gala happened yet? I wonder what fan reaction will be to Mirai compared to Wagner or Edmunds...maybe she is making her intent to appeal public now to generate audience support in the Gala - which is due to be telecast next week.

rocketry

Rinkside
I think she has a pretty decent argument. Okay, so nationals placements don't matter and Ashley would be on the team no matter what. Here's a comparison between Mirai and Polina's with the criteria USFSA put forth: https://31.media.tumblr.com/2237cd27ad8e7171d6361b3b95dee9e0/tumblr_mzauyrmdDZ1qcnb5ro1_500.png. I don't know if Junior Nationals even count, but Mirai outscored Polina 173.75 to 159.87 last year.

I think it's good she's appealing if only to demand transparency from the process. Lack of transparency within the judging system has always hurt the credibility of the sport. Lack of transparency in the selection process probably looks even worse.

MiRé

Match Penalty
The fact that Mirai is appealing is what matters. She really is a brave women, and she proved that she can do well under pressure (unlike wagner) at Nationals. I'm so heartbroken that she has to go through this.....I mean, she was placed 4th at 2010 Olympics! I bet Wagner would not even make top 5 in current quad at Sochi. I don't want to put a race card, but in this situation, I may leaning towards that just a bit.... Also, Edmund? Senior Debut at the Olympics? Let me guess her Sochi score, SP+FS=140 :rolleye:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Near, I don't know all of the particulars, but my view is simple: If the USFSA wants to base its determination on past performances, the skater who should be out is Polina Edmunds, as she has *zero* international experience. Mirai Nagasu only finished behind her by three points -- and either way, if you take Edmunds *or* Nagasu, it's a risk and a wild card.

I think the "past performances" aspect only factors in when a potential medalist is left off the team because of a poor performance. I don't think it is intended to bump a Mirai/Agnes/Christina ahead of someone like Polina simply because they have medaled on the GP or 4CC. I don't even think if Gracie was 4th she would have been picked ahead of Mirai in 3rd. Again, you are talking about a skater in Ashley who has only once in 3 years not been the highest ranked American in an event she competed in.

It is hard to be "transparent" when the sober truth is sure to raise eyebrows. If the USFSA had been "transparent" and announced before the contest began, "Ashley Wagner is going no matter what she does at Nationals," how would that have played?

(Oh, about like it's playing now. ;) )

samson

Medalist
Per twitter Mirai and Agnes were together watching the Mens free. It looks like those two have really developed a nice friendship.

Kiira Korpi wrote her a sweet message on twitter. Someone who should be able to empathize with unfortunate timing and tough rulings in an olympic year.

minze

Medalist
Appeal Mirai, I support you. I think she does deserve to go to Sochi. I think Ashley deservers to go too, because it is true that she has the best international credentials. I feel for Mirai, but I also feel for Ashley. I think this is not the way she wanted to go to the Olympics by a technicality. Polina was impressive technically, so like she said she proved her self. unfortunately there is only three spots. Hard decision, but if I had to make it I would have sent Polina to worlds

leafygreens

Final Flight
I think she has a pretty decent argument. Okay, so nationals placements don't matter and Ashley would be on the team no matter what. Here's a comparison between Mirai and Polina's with the criteria USFSA put forth: https://31.media.tumblr.com/2237cd27ad8e7171d6361b3b95dee9e0/tumblr_mzauyrmdDZ1qcnb5ro1_500.png. I don't know if Junior Nationals even count, but Mirai outscored Polina 173.75 to 159.87 last year.

I think it's good she's appealing if only to demand transparency from the process. Lack of transparency within the judging system has always hurt the credibility of the sport. Lack of transparency in the selection process probably looks even worse.

I agree. Even if Mirai loses an appeal, attention needs to be brought to this subject. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

AlexaD

Rinkside
This whole thing could have been avoided if Ashley had gone out there like the 2 time champ she is, skated like she has in the past and not with those massive nerves. Not that I don't get it, I would be a wreck out there too knowing it comes down to four minutes, but she has prided herself on thriving when the pressure is on and being the best, etc. Now we have this unfortunate situation that has a ton of people upset. I feel really bad for Mirai the more I think on. She earned it. Casting her aside because she hasn't done well in the past isn't the point of a sport. Ashley's proven herself in the past, but she didn't do it when it counted. Mirai did. I just knew there was no way they would leave Ashley home with her name out there and sponsorship deals though.

File that appeal, Mirai. Stand up for yourself. Your fans support you.

ks777

Record Breaker
anyways, appealing is a good thing for the sport. The USFSA will make sure to let everyone know how they will be selecting skaters for the Olympics at the next Olympic season.

Laybackspin

Rinkside
I was thinking that exact same thing. There was never a question of whether Ashley was going to be on the team or not, the question was who was going to be bumped. I don't think her goal is to replace ashley cause that's not happening, but maybe she wants them to rethink sending Polina.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Could be. But Polina is the U.S. silver medalist, fair and square.

I feel Polina had a HUGE PCS boost compared to Mirai in the SP in particular. I honestly believe, even with Mirai being somewhat out of favor with the international judges, that if they had both skated these same performances on the international stage (and URs or lack thereof had been called the same way), Mirai would have been ahead by some points.

Of course it's could have world have, should have but still.