Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

stella luna

Final Flight
THIS. I find the lack of clarity and consistency in the selection of the US Olympics team incredibly frustrating.

I also find offense with the USFSA for not taking past Olympic experience achievement into account as part of its criteria for selecting the Olympic team. Should the fact that Mirai came in fourth at the last Olympics merit any weight at all? If not, I disagree.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I read that Mirai was in tears before her exhibition and that she received a standing ovation. Does anyone have a link? Or was anyone there who saw it?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Two long standing ovations for our Mirai Nagasu during the gala exhibition - which I could have been there to slap the US fed in the face with my applause.

Here are some tweets from Phil Hersh about the situation. In one he says that Mirai has issued a statement saying, "I am disappointed in the decision. Though I may not agree with it, I have to respect the decision the federation made."

In another, she has asked an athlete's representative to the USOC what the appeals process is if she wants to go over the USFSA's head.

https://twitter.com/olyphil

leafygreens

Final Flight
I also find offense with the USFSA for not taking past Olympic experience achievement into account as part of its criteria for selecting the Olympic team. Should the fact that Mirai came in fourth at the last Olympics merit any weight at all? If not, I disagree.

That's an interesting point. USFSA has decided that an Oly medal gets you a bye to nationals. It may not be a team selection criteria, but it shows that a four-year-old result is still relevant to the federation in some way. Mirai only missed a medal by one spot. Food for thought.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She should go straight to court. During discoveries, her lawyer can demand certain information from the US Fed. We see a lot of "messages" sent to the skaters these past few days. I am certain a good lawyer can pull that information out of the US fed and the judging panel. Imagine that!

Why in the world would Mirai incur legal expenses for a case certain to lose? This isn't a court case because she isn't entitled to anything. The only reason the USFSA flinched on Tonya Harding was because the national champion was automatically named to the team under the old rules. Now, 3rd place only gets you considered among the top 5.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Two long standing ovations for our Mirai Nagasu during the gala exhibition - which I could have been there to slap the US fed in the face with my applause.

Standing ovation in SP and early standing ovation in LP

what kind of queen? :think:

4 Sanding O's in one competition. Record much??? :popcorn:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

If she was anywhere near the form she had in Vancouver she would be going to Sochi as the national champion.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
If this had been some one else, say Agnes who many of you hate, would you care? Or do you care just because it is your favorite?

Hi, momjudy. Well, you landed in a pickle, that's for sure. ;)

Personally, I would rather sign a petition for Mirai to replace Ashley.

thinspread

On the Ice
I support Mirai's appeal, though I don't think it will be successful as long as it ends up on USFSF's table.

Wagner being selected for the team is reasonable, I think. But I do have problem with USFSF's lack of transparency, consistency and accountability in setting or applying their selection criteria. Failing to present a clear-cut and predictable application methods while instead listing vague selection priorities is no different from saying that they will use their own discretion in the process.

USFSF is more like a government than a private enterprise, when it comes to ramifications of their role on the basic rights of the member athletes. Their rules that can have direct relevance on individual members' right to equal treatment/opportunity and right to pursue happiness should pass stricter test, compared to a private enterprise's internal rules interfering with those rights of its employees.

Their rules should be clear and effectively communicated down to the members, with only minimum interference/exception clauses which themselves should be also clearly written and only applicable when such interference/exception are warranted only by the presence of a justifiable cause AND an OVERWHELMING benefit for the whole. In addition, application of those rules should be transparent and accountable. Use of discretion should better be avoided AT ALL TIMES.

USFSF's poor handling of the above-said matters is not fair to the athletes, their families and the fans. Reoccurence of such cases as Mirai's will leave many fans split and disappointed, and would do no good for the sport in the long run, IMO.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
If this had been some one else, say Agnes who many of you hate, would you care? Or do you care just because it is your favorite?

If she came off clean from her latest Grand Prix and did even better in national where her score is the same as the year she went to the 2010 Olympics then yes.

:)

leafygreens

Final Flight

Couldn't agree more with Phil on this: "Was there a formal vote? If so, what was the tally? We apparently will never know, as USFS officials were as vague about such procedures as they were in creating selection rules that allowed body of work over the past year to carry a significant but nonspecific amount of weight." That's right, USFS, we want to know which accomplishments were weighted what. So why don't you tell us?

It sounds like Mirai is wishy washy about filing an appeal. I would really like to see her do it. I'm glad she received such support at the gala.

“There seems to be a little bit of a pattern,” Wagner said, with a laugh. “Hopefully, I got the worst out of my system. I will admit I didn’t pull through at the national championships when I felt pressure. Going into the Olympics, I can just let myself skate without worrying about whether I am going to watch my dreams fall apart.”

Sorry, but Ashley has a lot of nerve saying that. She can't hold it together in the most important situations, yet expects it to magically come together at the Olympics, at the expense of another athlete. What about Mirai's dreams falling apart?

Phil didn't gloss over the elephant in the room:

Oh, yes, and NBC has made Wagner one of its most heavily promoted athletes in the buildup to next month’s Olympics.

cheerio2

On the Ice
If she was anywhere near the form she had in Vancouver she would be going to Sochi as the national champion.

Well, if Ashley were anywhere near the form she had when she won her GP events, she would not have ranked even lower than Mirai at Nationals, no?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, if Ashley were anywhere near the form she had when she won her GP events, she would not have ranked even lower than Mirai at Nationals, no?

Mirai got beat by two skaters, Ashley three. Neither were great here. However, Ashley has been stellar for a few years now relative to Mirai.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Someone started a petition to have Mirai replace Polina on the team. https://www.change.org/petitions/us...s-with-mirai-nagasu-on-the-olympic-team#share

Hello to old friends, I haven't been here since 2008, thought I would drop by to see what I've been missing.

Is not Polina who needs to be replaced (she EARNED her silver medal and thus her spot to the Olympics, legally and legitimate). It's Ashley Wagner who needs to be removed from the Olympic team, if the USFS cares a little bit about their image and believes in the fairness of sport.

p.s. I have nothing against Ms. Wagner, but she herself should make a statement about this whole situation and decline in favour of Ms. Nagasu, who beat her fair and square, and WON her right to go to the Olympics in Sochi.