The Up and Coming Seniors | Golden Skate

The Up and Coming Seniors

macy

Record Breaker
We saw some good talent over the weekend, even though the new/newer seniors didn't necessarily all didn't have clean skates, there's some really good up and coming potential that can be really something in a couple years.

mariah bell
barbie long
ashley cain
hannah miller
franchesca chiera
polina edmunds
leah keiser
angela wang

which girls do you see going far and which girls do you see fizzling out? who stands out and who doesn't? what do you like and what don't you like about their skating? what do they need to succeed?

IMO i see polina (obviously), ashley cain, hannah, mariah, and angela if she gets it together going far. polina already has tons of talent and is an olympian, ashley is a beautiful skater with great edges and her jumps improve every year, hannah came off an injury this year but came back fists flying and will continue to do so. she needs a triple triple and more speed but is on the right track for sure. mariah is so fun to watch and has so much personality but probably let her nerves get in the way this weekend, and angela too let her nerves get the best of her, but she reminds me of MK in her build and general skating. she has so much potential. i also saw barbie was named first alternate to the 4CC team which is a big accomplishment in itself for being your first year senior. she still is boring to me although she has nice jumps.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I really like Ashley Cain. If she can stabilize her jumps, she would be the complete package. Sad to see her bomb the FS, but she was sick after all. I thought Angela Wang had potential but she hasn't really done that well. Wasn't there a thread about Polina awhile back on how she should be on the Olympic team? Who would have thought that would really happen? She seems to have solid jump technique so her chances of surviving puberty are pretty good. I was really impressed with her FS but hate her SP.

macy

Record Breaker
I really like Ashley Cain. If she can stabilize her jumps, she would be the complete package. Sad to see her bomb the FS, but she was sick after all. I thought Angela Wang had potential but she hasn't really done that well. Wasn't there a thread about Polina awhile back on how she should be on the Olympic team? Who would have thought that would really happen? She seems to have solid jump technique so her chances of surviving puberty are pretty good. I was really impressed with her FS but hate her SP.

I'm not a big fan of polinas sp either, or the dress. The choreography fits it so ill give her that and she interprets it well, but her team could have done something to bring out her full potential more. Its too bad Ashley was sick this week, she had a great short and I LOVE her music! She really draws you in and makes you want to watch her. Angela really does have the potential...the consistency just isn't there and she needs to get her head out of the way.

flying camel

Medalist
I like Hannah Miller, but she needs a jump coach. Just about all her jumps were underrotated. I thought Leah Keiser was just adorable, but I don't see her breaking into the top group in the US. I think Angela Wang should switch to Frank. She has great jumps and lovely presentation but no confidence. Barbie Long shows promise, but she needs more difficulty.

noskates

Record Breaker
I watched the Junior women and was encouraged that the US will have a bevy of young ladies to carry on the tradition when some of the current crop retire. I think there isn't one of them who doesn't need either a jump coach, a good choreographer or some more finesse. They are still young but there is so much promise there!

macy

Record Breaker
I like Hannah Miller, but she needs a jump coach. Just about all her jumps were underrotated. I thought Leah Keiser was just adorable, but I don't see her breaking into the top group in the US. I think Angela Wang should switch to Frank. She has great jumps and lovely presentation but no confidence. Barbie Long shows promise, but she needs more difficulty.

Hannah had 3 UR's in her long. Her coach is actually a great technical coach, when I switched to her she fixed many of my jumps back when I was skating. IMO if she had more speed she would get more height, and wouldnt cheat any jumps. She has improved that aspect though.
I'm actually not a Leah keiser fan. I like her jumps and her layback is beautiful but her FS was SO slow and she couldn't keep up with the music.

macy

Record Breaker
I watched the Junior women and was encouraged that the US will have a bevy of young ladies to carry on the tradition when some of the current crop retire. I think there isn't one of them who doesn't need either a jump coach, a good choreographer or some more finesse. They are still young but there is so much promise there!

ITA! so much talent.