The Antidote Thread -- All Positive, Please | Golden Skate

The Antidote Thread -- All Positive, Please

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm finding myself focusing on the negatives about these Nationals, mainly the Olympic and World Team selections, but also some disappointing performances from some of the skaters. And that's a shame, because there were plenty of transcendent moments at these Nationals, too. Since I don't want to remember these Nationals as a watermark low, I thought a way to avoid that might be to note some "bests" or "favorites" from the week.

For me, not necessarily in order:

1) Josh Farris's performances, both programs!

2) Gracie Gold's performances, both programs!

3) I'm with Mathman in being charmed by Felicia Zhang's radiance (he mentioned her expression during their final lift in another thread). She was so appealing during the performances, and also with her genuine tears of joy in the press conference when the Olympic teams were named. And Nate was cute, the way he kept looking over at her ready to pass the microphone to her, but she just kept nodding and tearing up, and he assured us, "She's ok!" (Frenchie noted that moment, too, and it was so endearing.)

4) Jason also was beyond charming in the press conference, admitting he couldn't be quite as calm as Jeremy!

5) Dornbush's short.

6) Jeremy's short. I'm still not overall a fan, but that performance was amazing.

7) Meryl and Charlie, in performance and in the fluff pieces with Michael Buckley. They are relaxing a bit and showing more of their personalities. And Meryl really wants a dog, so that makes her a kindred spirit, being a multi-dog owner myself.

Honorable mention for Max's performances, which I quite enjoyed. Admired his improvement from earlier in the season in terms of convincingly selling the choreo/costuming package. He was fun to watch!

What were your favorite moments? Maybe some of the attendees had some fun meet and greet interactions to share, or standout performances from inside the arena?

It_Is_What_It_Is

Spectator
Alex Shibutani's relieved drop to the ice after his FD. It must have meant everything to him to have a clean performance for that program in Boston, with a trip to the Olys as the icing on the cake.

And seconding Felicia Zhang's expression in that final lift. Utter joy.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Alex Shibutani's relieved drop to the ice after his FD. It must have meant everything to him to have a clean performance for that program in Boston, with a trip to the Olys as the icing on the cake.

Felicia at the press conference was adorable. Nate had to pass her the tissues.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Josh's SP I felt was very underrated. I mean, he had to follow Abbott with that ridiculous score. He could have done a Dornbush, but instead, he very nicely applauded Abbott, turned around, and put in his best SP of the season. And then remembered to wish Max luck as he skated off. Awww. Then afterwards he was saying how proud of Abbott he was and how proud of Lukas (who he described as his best friend). And in the LP he was grinning and applauding Jason too. Basically Josh was ridiculously adorable all weekend.

AND EVERYTHING ABOUT JASON! :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm finding myself focusing on the negatives about these Nationals, mainly the Olympic and World Team selections, but also some disappointing performances from some of the skaters. And that's a shame, because there were plenty of transcendent moments at these Nationals, too. Since I don't want to remember these Nationals as a watermark low, I thought a way to avoid that might be to note some "bests" or "favorites" from the week.

... 3) I'm with Mathman in being charmed by Felicia Zhang's radiance (he mentioned her expression during their final lift in another thread). She was so appealing during the performances, and also with her genuine tears of joy in the press conference when the Olympic teams were named. And Nate was cute, the way he kept looking over at her ready to pass the microphone to her, but she just kept nodding and tearing up, and he assured us, "She's ok!" (Frenchie noted that moment, too, and it was so endearing.) ...

7) Meryl and Charlie, in performance and in the fluff pieces with Michael Buckley. They are relaxing a bit and showing more of their personalities. And Meryl really wants a dog, so that makes her a kindred spirit, being a multi-dog owner myself.

Honorable mention for Max's performances, which I quite enjoyed. Admired his improvement from earlier in the season in terms of convincingly selling the choreo/costuming package. He was fun to watch! ...

rallycairn, thanks for starting this thread.

(A) Really enjoyed Felicia/Nate's FS and what I have seen so far thereafter, e.g, the Kiss and Cry + their post-FS interview. Have not gotten around yet to watching the Olympic presser, but I look forward to doing so.

(B) Glad to read your appreciative comments for Max. With so much at stake, we understandably saw more of "intense" Max and less of the usual "bubbly" off-ice Max.
So I was very happy to see his wink ;) after his SP, when he was receiving a standing ovation. I don't know whether he had spotted his loved ones in the crowd or whether he was trying to thank all the spectators in general. Anyway, I hope/believe that at least for that one little moment, he simply was enjoying the thrill of performing and competing -- and not thinking about scores or placements.

(C) Have not watched the Davis/White fluff yet. But now I must do so, for I too find it endearing that they and their families all are dog-lovers in a big way. Davis has tweeted photos of her family's Portuguese Water Dog (can't remember if they have more than one dog?) as well as lots of other dogs that Davis has befriended. And White/Belbin can't get enough of their dogs. :)

ETA:

(D) I forgot to say that I agree re the Shibutanis -- esp. Alex.

(E) Very pleased for Doug Razzano. And for Mirai -- b/c of her great programs, of course. And ... I'm sure I'm forgetting others ...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, now I have to admit my bias for skaters and coaches who love dogs.
Best moments for me were Gracie and Jason and Mirai. To watch them practice
And succeed made my nats. Honorable mention is watching our top ice dance teams.
Wow.. how do they DO that? Now THAT'S entertainment! Meeting up with GSers was
Pretty special too.

desertskates

Medalist
Thank you, thank you for this thread. We can all have a Tylenol or nice glass of wine and smile. For me, I've not been much of a Gracie fan in the past but she threw it down and won me over! I'm glad Ashley is on the team and hope she achieves her goal is Sochi. Jason Brown was outstanding. All three top men were. The pairs and dancers, bravo! I just want everyone to work hard, do their best, and enjoy this time in their lives!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Endearing moment: watching the skaters' lounge of the eventual other medalists in Men's when Jeremy was done and soaking in the moment(s) of his final nationals skates. Not only was Jeremy teary and emotional, but so were Jason, Josh, and Max...

If nothing else, Champs Camp has engendered a sense of team and cameraderie among the US elite skaters.

Jason Brown's FS was the best performance I have seen by a man in figure skating. Ever.

The quality and complexity of his choreography and transitions. They way pretty much all of the elements were integrated into the program. The way he used his entire upper body. His projections and commitment to his movements.

Unbelievably amazing.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
- Jeremy's SP. I was speechless. Loved Yuka Sato's little "queen of England wave" in the K&C ;)
- Z/B's FS, I was grinning more and more during the performance, and their reaction in the K&C + interview for making the Olympic Team were heartwarming :)
- Mirai Nagasu's LP (so glad to have seen it again without commentaries), the crowd's reaction to it, and her emotions in the K&C
- Jason Brown just before his FS, having to slalom between all the gifts thrown on the ice for Adam Rippon: The stadium speaker said "how about a nice round of applause for the sweepers" and Jason smiled and clapped himself despite the stress and concentration! :) ... and then of course him delivering such a great performance!
- Jeremy Abbott after his FS, taking everything in and letting the emotions out.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Jason Brown's FS was the best performance I have seen by a man in figure skating. Ever.

The quality and complexity of his choreography and transitions. They way pretty much all of the elements were integrated into the program. The way he used his entire upper body. His projections and commitment to his movements.

Unbelievably amazing.

It was wonderful! I would tie it with Shawn Sawyer's 2011 FS at Canadian Nats for performance value, but I'm a huge Shawn fan, and now becoming a huge Jason fan.

It was wonderful! I would tie it with Shawn Sawyer's 2011 FS at Canadian Nats for performance value, but I'm a huge Shawn fan, and now becoming a huge Jason fan.

Yes. I would put it down next to that performance in my 'best figure skating performances ever' scrapbook. :)

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it!

Most of the moments you've all mentioned are my favorites too, especially Felicia Z.'s exuberant final lift and both Meryl and Charlie's programs--and Jason Brown's magical free skate. I also loved seeing both Yuka Sato and Marina Klimova in the Kiss & Cry with their respective skaters. Two favorite skaters of mine, now doing great work with other skaters.

One more. When Christina Gao was standing out on the ice, crying, after her long program, did anyone else notice that Ashley skated over and gave her a quick hug? I was pleased that Ashley broke her focus to pay attention to Gao at that tough moment.

jaylee

Medalist
One more. When Christina Gao was standing out on the ice, crying, after her long program, did anyone else notice that Ashley skated over and gave her a quick hug? I was pleased that Ashley broke her focus to pay attention to Gao at that tough moment.

Yes, I saw that in the arena. That was very sweet and classy of Ashley to take the time to do that.

Other moments:

Jason Brown: the whole performance. I brought a friend, not a diehard skating fan, and the men's had kind of disappointed us until Jason Brown. I gave her a heads up that Jason Brown had a really fun program, but she didn't believe me. By the end, though, yes she did! She was blown away.

During a break during the men's FS, they played "thank you fans" videos from a random assortment of skaters. After Mirai Nagasu's thank you message came on, the audience gave a huge roar.

Angela Wang doing a bit of "gangnam style" dance during the 5-minute warm-up (the song was playing in the background).

Jeremy's emotions after his national title-winning FS.

Rachael Flatt's emotions after her FS.

Mirai Nagasu's gratitude for the crowd's appreciation after her FS.

Ross Miner putting his whole heart into his FS for Boston, even though the jumps weren't all there. The crowd really appreciated it.

gnom

On the Ice

Unbelievably amazing.
Ita!
And I am definitively not a fan of his free skate music. But the program itself and how Jason performed it this time was simply crazy. I have to add I do love his short even more, ok I am a fan of Prince anyway. The way Jason hit every single beat of the music was just adorable. Unique, fresh, innovative! Please, more of that stuff!

eiriene

Rinkside
I loved Mirai's FS, but Jason's FS was just amazing. I really feel like he's the spiritual heir to Daisuke Takahashi.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I really liked Barbie Long's SP. It wasn't the most well-skated, but I thought the way the first bit established that she was a ballerina was simply lovely.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The sweepers were a bunch of little girls in red dresses and one little boy in a dinner jacket and black bow tie for the ladies. For the men's long, they turned it around and had a bunch of little boys and one girl. Too cute.

Jason slapping palms with one of the boy sweepers before he skated
(and of course his programs...but we've listed favorite programs in another thread.)

Ross's Tribute to Boston Strong, the Marathon bombing recovery group. I had heard that skaters can say what they want to have played while they wait for the previous skater's grades. I only noticed 2 particularly. Keegan used Billy Joel's "The Entertainer" for both his short and long ("I won't be here in another year if I don't get on the charts") Ross used his option to have "Sweet Caroline" played, which was the perfect setup for Boson Strong. Before the bombing was the Red Sox opener at Fenway. Sweet Caroline is always sung for the 7th inning stretch. The crowd at the TD center sang it too. The audience was into that program before Ross hit his opening pose, and the program was a hugely moving production even though Ross is still not fully in shape, and his jumps weren't' there.
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/

Boston Strong got Neil Diamond himself to sing it at Fenway this past April's home opener see above youtube) so if you don't know how the Boston sports crowds sing the song here it is, as also done prior to Ross's skate, with the Bom bom bom repetition and the So Good So Good So Good, while waving Boston Strong flags.

Last edited:

meem

On the Ice
Someone beat me to the punch in mentioning Barbie Long. She skated so elegantly, wearing a beautiful costume. I hope the next time we see her she'll be a contender. Doug Razzano - loved his LP. Josh - loved his LP as well. This is encouraging! And, of course, Jason Brown raising the roof at TD Garden. I was at home, on my couch, but I was almost as excited as if I were right there...he's that magical a skater. Z/B's LP had me grinning, thumbs-upping after each successful lift, jump, and their wonderful, thrilling final lift was almost too much for me to handle ;>) This was a fun Nationals. One thing I noticed was the men touching each other on the shoulder as the next one went out on the ice for his program. I don't think the ladies do that. Very kind of Ashley to try to comfort Christina. And last but not least - those little boys in their suits...waaaay too cute. Every sight of them skating out with their big baskets, I just loved it to pieces.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Right before Gracie skated her long program and looked Frank in the eye and said "it's my time." I do love that level of confidence and swagger...