Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

Amei

Record Breaker
Gracie was top 6 in a Worlds without Julia. She can still be top 6 because she now can beat Ashley. She could beat Julia if Julia makes mistakes, but it won't be easy since Julia has home ice advantage.

In every competition that they have competed against each other, Gracie has never beaten Julia.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Gracie isn't going to beat Yuna, Mao, Caro and, I'd venture say, even Akiko, if those skaters are clean. So first all, if even one of those skaters skates clean, no gold for Gold. It's a toss up if she's able to beat Julia and Adelina if those two are clean. (I like Julia's LP better than Gracie's). However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gracie medal. She's the USA champ and she can score BIG. She's in a better position that Rachael was ahead of Vancouver. Rachael's big advantage at the time was her consistency but being able to score big is a better advantage.

In every competition that they have competed against each other, Gracie has never beaten Julia

I'd be interested to see revisit those competitions with that comparison in mind. Did Gracie and Julia both put forward their best?

Becki

Medalist
I doubt it. If it does happen, it's equivalent to Kimmie Messiner winning Gold at the 2006 WC BUT this it the Olympic Games where athletes have prepared "all their lives" to compete. Therefore, I think Gracie will extremely luck if she's on the podium.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Gracie wins Gold, she would be the luckiest skater to have won the Olympics. In most years, there are only 1 or 2 who are truly worth the title. This year, I see a line of great skaters who can win, and should win. And if she does, that means it was the worst skated Olympics ever in term of top contenders bombing.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I would just like to see her skate well and possibly get on the Podium. Winning Gold, well that would be asking a lot.

Franklin99

Medalist
I think she can win silver, esp. if the top skaters have a few mistakes and she absolutely nails her programs. That would be an incredible accomplishment. It's def. possible that the silver fight could come down to her and Julia, if both clean (assuming Yuna is clean to). Not sure how Mao and Caro will do, considering Mao recovering from injury and Caro having switched programs.

According to an article, Sato said Mao's lower back was no good after the Jpn National. It has been recovered OK now she can do sit spin as low as she usually does. So I think is safe to say that, baring a new injury, Mao will be in a much better shape at the Olympics then she was at Nationals.

guanchi

On the Ice
Watching her skates again, I like her LP better than her SP. Her LP tells a story, and while generic, the music is beautiful tchaikovsky, in a fairy tale setting. Gracie is living a fairy tale right now, so it mirrors her life. And it it's grand and dramatic, which fits her style much better than the SP, which is soft, lyrical and interpretive- not her style. She's a power skater. Her sp feels like more of a 69-70 program rather than 72 (I jokingly said her sp might go to 74-75 given nationals inflation this year around the world), so again she would prolly be behind the leaders in the short, putting her in more of a hole going into the long. But boy, that long...if she nails it...

Layfan

Record Breaker
According to an article, Sato said Mao's lower back was no good after the Jpn National. It has been recovered OK now she can do sit spin as low as she usually does. So I think is safe to say that, baring a new injury, Mao will be in a much better shape at the Olympics then she was at Nationals.

They should invent a fingers-crossed emoticon.

guanchi

On the Ice

:clap:
I want every skater healthy going into Sochi- bring it on!

Amei

Record Breaker
Gracie isn't going to beat Yuna, Mao, Caro and, I'd venture say, even Akiko, if those skaters are clean. So first all, if even one of those skaters skates clean, no gold for Gold. It's a toss up if she's able to beat Julia and Adelina if those two are clean. (I like Julia's LP better than Gracie's). However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gracie medal. She's the USA champ and she can score BIG. She's in a better position that Rachael was ahead of Vancouver. Rachael's big advantage at the time was her consistency but being able to score big is a better advantage.

I'd be interested to see revisit those competitions with that comparison in mind. Did Gracie and Julia both put forward their best?

the 2 competitions that I could find were
Junior Worlds:
1 Julia Lipnitskaia Total: 187.05; Short: 63.09, Free Skate: 123.96
2 Gracie Gold Total: 171.85; Short: 58.00, Free Skate: 113.85

Skate Canada:
1 Julia Lipnitskaia: Total: 198.23; Short: 66.89; Free Skate: 131.34
3 Gracie Gold: Total: 186.75;Short: 69.45; Free Skate: 117.20

Layfan

Record Breaker
the 2 competitions that I could find were
Junior Worlds:
1 Julia Lipnitskaia Total: 187.05; Short: 63.09, Free Skate: 123.96
2 Gracie Gold Total: 171.85; Short: 58.00, Free Skate: 113.85

Skate Canada:
1 Julia Lipnitskaia: Total: 198.23; Short: 66.89; Free Skate: 131.34
3 Gracie Gold: Total: 186.75;Short: 69.45; Free Skate: 117.20

It will be interesting to see where the discussion goes after the European Championships this week (yay!). We'll get another good look at Caro, Adelina and Julia.

The times I've seen Julia skate well this season, I've thought, dang, this girl could snatch the gold. She wasn't even at worlds last season but she has somehow already positioned herself as a clear medal threat. If she manages to win Euros, the hype (and the pressure) will go through the roof. For Caro and Adelina too but it would be more expected for them to win and people will still wonder if they can defeat their consistency demons.

(For the record, even though I am so impressed by both Julia and Gracie, and though I like Ashley and Adelina, for sentimental reasons, I must root for Caro and/or Akiko to get their first Olympic medals :biggrin: )

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Gracie definitely has the Gold material in her. Her jumps are superior, probably as good as Yuna's. She has a beautiful body line, she's blond, and pretty face…all can points accumulating factor. She needs to add some level of sophistication in her presentation, and that's all.

Judges have been giving Julia Lip huge scores, why not Gracie, especially when she is clean. In perfect judging, Gracie should receive much more GOE scores in her jumps than Julia. I believe a clean Gracie should beat a clean Julia. I don't think Mao or Caro will be clean at the Oly, since they haven't been for a long time. In a word, I expect something big from Gracie at the Oly.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie definitely has the Gold material in her. Her jumps are superior, probably as good as Yuna's. She has a beautiful body line, she's blond, and pretty face…all can points accumulating factor. She needs to add some level of sophistication in her presentation, and that's all.

Judges have been giving Julia Lip huge scores, why not Gracie, especially when she is clean. In perfect judging, Gracie should receive much more GOE scores in her jumps than Julia. I believe a clean Gracie should beat a clean Julia. I don't think Mao or Caro will be clean at the Oly, since they haven't been for a long time. In a word, I expect something big from Gracie at the Oly.
i agree with everything you just said. Gracie now looks and skates like a lady and has superior skating skills than Julia. Faster bigger jumps and even the one area where Julia is best at in spins Gracie always gets L4 for her spins. But sadly the Olympics are in Russia so Julia will get way over scored. I hate the politics of skating.

Antiloquy

Rinkside
No. Her choreography is empty compared to her top competitors and I haven't even seen Yuna's programs.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Her choreography is empty compared to her top competitors and I haven't even seen Yuna's programs.

Oh you mean like when Julia draws hearts on the ice at the start of her SP. Yes that is choreography at it's finest. :laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I disagree. Gracie can beat Akiko and Kanako even if they all skated clean. Gracie's spins and jumps are much much much better than these two. I think Gracie has a good chance of beating Yuna if Yuna makes a mistake. We'll see. Gracie has improved tremendously in one year. She was already in the top 6 in the world last year. I won't be surprised if it came down to between Gracie and Julia.

ita... frank and grace =gold. cannot wait to crow=anyway, podium is totally possible now.