Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Frank has tweaked and she was beautiful. I wonder how many noticed the homage to "pretty woman" in her SP dress. Exact sweetheart neckline with silver sequins to make it an FS dress. Scott said repeatedly she jumps as well as anyone in the world. They all seem so impressed. I am so happy for this girl. America has two beautiful ice princesses, but Gold is skating like a champion. So glad she was so confident and did what she does everyday. Go Gracie!!!

Peach

Rinkside
Frank has tweaked and she was beautiful. I wonder how many noticed the homage to "pretty woman" in her SP dress. Exact sweetheart neckline with silver sequins to make it an FS dress. Scott said repeatedly she jumps as well as anyone in the world. They all seem so impressed. I am so happy for this girl. America has two beautiful ice princesses, but Gold is skating like a champion. So glad she was so confident and did what she does everyday. Go Gracie!!!

She can certainly jump well, but she's not an artist. I don't see her getting massive PCS even if she goes clean. If all the top contenders skate inadequately and make several mistakes...then yes she has a chance. Otherwise, she probably won't win.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
she's as elegant as anyone out there, and an artist as much as anyone. She is the whole package and has the highest jump content, over all.

Barb

Record Breaker
If The others top skaters skate really bad and she skate her best, may be can get The OGM

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Skateluvr, do you actually get money for each new thread you open?!? :laugh:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
No. She may be able to get on the podium with two lights out programs (depending on how the other contenders skate and the scores they get), but the gold will go to either Yuna Kim or Mao Asada.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
If she skates like she did here, and she has some help, I can see her getting bronze or silver. YuNa or/and Mao will have to practically disintegrate before she jumps ahead of both of them, though.

andyjo24

Medalist
I saw the free skate live and didn't think she was as good as people claimed her to be. She did land the jumps, but some of them looked messy (Her 3lz-3t was also not as big as I imagined it to be...). Her artistry has improved, especially the arm movements, but she has a long, LONG way to go.

But yes, to answer your question, she does have a chance, but others will have to make HUGE mistakes and she needs to be fully clean. So I would say maybe a 0.1% chance. Haha. Aiming for the bronze would be much more realistic.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I am so impressed with Gracie, really. I think she is a formidable opponent and a future "it" girl. But I don't think she is the best of the best just yet. If YuNa and Mao perform their best, I don't think anyone is going to be able to top them, regardless of what they do. And everyone knows if Carolina can deliver, the judges will be over the moon. I wonder how 2014 Nationals Gracie stacks against the two 2014 Nationals Russians…plus they will have home field advantage. Regardless, if Gracie skates cleanly, she will be a contender for top 6 and who knows, maybe can sneak onto the podium…never know! I do think she is most likely to be top placing US Lady. But I would say a very outside chance for Gold, most realistically top 6/if all the stars align-bronze contender.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see gold for Gold in Sochi, but she certainly will be a threat for the World podium if not in 2014, then beyond. She has improved so much in such a short time.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She has a chance. A very slim one.

I saw the free skate live and didn't think she was as good as people claimed her to be. She did land the jumps, but some of them looked messy (Her 3lz-3t was also not as big as I imagined it to be...). Her artistry has improved, especially the arm movements, but she has a long, LONG way to go.

I watched her performance through a television screen and still thought the same thing. Her 3-3 combo on BOTH nights in particular seemed more labored. In the past, they would be completely solid and so fluid, but it was as if she would take quick breaks in between her triple lutz and her triple toe loop (because she landed a little too much forward). Personally, I'd be pissed if she got +1.20 GOE in international competition with that combination--but I'm okay with it here at Nationals.

I honestly thought she and Polina were both overscored in terms of +GOE on their 3-3 combinations and I really hope that just because they were successful at Nationals that intnernational judges don't suddenly give them Yuna GOE for slightly-off jumps. That's just horrible encouragement to keep doing messy jumps.

TripleToe

Rinkside
Realistically She has a chance! Anything could happen, I think She has podium chance. I'm not gonna take "Gold for Yuna/Mao" or anything for granted. 2 days ago everyone thought Ashley was going to land in Sochi as U.S. #1 and now Gracie is the U.S Champion... If I've learned anything from Olympics It's surprises are no surprise.

I believe in Gracie :clap:

cornell08

Final Flight
Technically she can, but I'm not sure what it would say about the level of performance if Gracie wins the OGM. There are too many better choreographed long programs in the ladies' event, and I would HOPE its not a splatfest from Akiko, Yuna, Mao, Caro etc (the only scenario that would make that possible).

guanchi

On the Ice
I think she can win silver, esp. if the top skaters have a few mistakes and she absolutely nails her programs. That would be an incredible accomplishment. It's def. possible that the silver fight could come down to her and Julia, if both clean (assuming Yuna is clean to). Not sure how Mao and Caro will do, considering Mao recovering from injury and Caro having switched programs.

Nadia01

Final Flight
If Yuna, Mao, CaroK, Akiko, Kanako and a whole bunch of others who had better international success than Grace all zamboni the heck out of the ice, while Grace manages to stay upright, yes. Grace can win OGM.

The chances of that happening? Very very small.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Gracie can get top five if she skates like she did at nationals...

It would take several major contenders majorly stumbling/falling to get Gracie all the way to gold.

ks777

Record Breaker
If Yuna, Mao, CaroK, Akiko, Kanako and a whole bunch of others who had better international success than Grace all zamboni the heck out of the ice, while Grace manages to stay upright, yes. Grace can win OGM.

The chances of that happening? Very very small.

I disagree. Gracie can beat Akiko and Kanako even if they all skated clean. Gracie's spins and jumps are much much much better than these two. I think Gracie has a good chance of beating Yuna if Yuna makes a mistake. We'll see. Gracie has improved tremendously in one year. She was already in the top 6 in the world last year. I won't be surprised if it came down to between Gracie and Julia.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I disagree. Gracie can beat Akiko and Kanako even if they all skated clean. Gracie's spins and jumps are much much much better than these two. I think Gracie has a good chance of beating Yuna if Yuna makes a mistake. We'll see. Gracie has improved tremendously in one year. She was already in the top 6 in the world last year. I won't be surprised if it came down to between Gracie and Julia.

I love Gracie, but no. Yu Na, Mao and Carolina get huge PCS scores (even when they don't skate cleanly) that Gracie hasn't come close to in international competition. Julia has edged closer to those scores, but only in Russia---and Sochi is in Russia.

Gracie was top 6 in a Worlds without Julia. She can still be top 6 because she now can beat Ashley. She could beat Julia if Julia makes mistakes, but it won't be easy since Julia has home ice advantage. Next season will be Gracie's big chance to move up to the podium.