Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

ks777

Record Breaker
Gracie definitely has the Gold material in her. Her jumps are superior, probably as good as Yuna's. She has a beautiful body line, she's blond, and pretty face…all can points accumulating factor. She needs to add some level of sophistication in her presentation, and that's all.

Judges have been giving Julia Lip huge scores, why not Gracie, especially when she is clean. In perfect judging, Gracie should receive much more GOE scores in her jumps than Julia. I believe a clean Gracie should beat a clean Julia. I don't think Mao or Caro will be clean at the Oly, since they haven't been for a long time. In a word, I expect something big from Gracie at the Oly.
ITA. I just hope Gracie nails her programs!!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And how big is your bonus if the thread is redundant? ;)

there all different sincere questions. my only forgiveable would be I sometime do forget. However, Why not ask the folks who start Yuna threads (4 in one day) or collboogie -he started I think 3 threads in folder and edge-all mirai, and there was an old one still trending on edge. so tell me what is redundant? usually mods merge...I ask questions to learn, and I am reading wisdom re grace's chances.

Care to answer the topic? TY. I knew you would be kind.:laugh: So many questions and so many skate fans to learn from...:biggrin:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I believe she has 0% chance to beat Yu Na Kim, so no gold is already out (I am not even saying Kim is ensured the gold, but I do feel Gold definitely wont beat her). A medal is possible but she has alot of obstacles to get there. She will likely need to duplicate her great U.S Nationals performances, and receive alot of help to win a medal.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If Yuna and Mao are still ruling these games(don't expect this in Russia, btw) then why bother watch? If Grace can do two performances like she did, She has the 3lutz/3toe -they scaled the size back-she needed control and Frank is helping...then she does double axel, triple toe? I don't remember all this for serious reasons but also I watch for the total performance quality. She has really fast spins and superior Bielmann, and she is a tall majestic young woman, not gawky. Her body is perfect for ballet, dance, skating. She is even pretty.

Her arms are much better than Kwan's. Kim's upper body, lovely arm usage is what some prefer. I am so picky about lines...I have loved Grace from day one. If someone could compare her layouts to the top 2-3 ranked in world, that would be great for us non techies.

She has enough style to win if she goes clean technically. YuNa kim was winning with her fully rotated jumps. Most skaters get edge calls and downgrades-not YuNa. How about Grace?

I'm rooting for several skaters and if veterans get the rep points, well so be it..but even more exciting is seeing great skaters newbies to Oly podium. I hope so, as it would be a fairer world.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie has about 20-40%
the only legitimate skate who can challenge a clean Yuna for the Gold

Nadia01

Final Flight
Gracie has about 20-40%

If Yuna & Grace both go clean, Yuna will still beat Gracie b/c of her PCS.

Compare PCS Yuna gets from her international comps & GG gets from hers. Gracie's not going to get Yuna's PCS overnight just because she won the US Nats once.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Gracie has about 20-40%
You're funny. Gracie Gold is not touching a clean Yuna. She's not going within bowing distance, throwing distance, longbow range distance, whatever.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Yu Na would score higher on TES too. The U.S Nationals is the best Gold has ever skated, and obviously Nationalistic based scoring that would automatically be lower at a Worlds or Olympics, and her TES was still lower than Kim from Worlds last year.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You're funny. Gracie Gold is not touching a clean Yuna. She's not going within bowing distance, throwing distance, longbow range distance, whatever.

Gracie's GOE will probably just be a few points less in total of GOE to Yuna's
while PCS of Yuna will be higher of course
she can be at least close to clean Yuna, maybe not enough to win

she also has like Yuna the speed, distance and power on her jumps ,
an appealing beauty that judges give bonus points for Yuna
Gracie has the Miss USA smile + blonde hollywood look

Selene

On the Ice

Compare PCS Yuna gets from her international comps & GG gets from hers. Gracie's not going to get Yuna's PCS overnight just because she won the US Nats once.

Yuna will destroy Gracie on TES and PCS. Gracie has better spins than Yuna, but her jump quality is lacking in comparison. Gracie may be able to do all the jumps, but her jumps deserve meager GOE. Her jumps do not have flow or ice coverage. I actually thought her jumps in her Nationals free skate were very poor quality. 3-3 was very poor in comparison to Yuna's - no flow and no ice coverage. The same as the rest of her jumps, which are more comparable to Julia Lipnitskaia's than Yuna Kim's.

cooper

Medalist
actually julia is more of a threat than gracie.. but if gracie is clean and managed to do all the jumps then i think she has a chance.. though it will depend how yuna, mao, kostner, akiko, and the russian girls will do..

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
actually julia is more of a threat than gracie.. but if gracie is clean and managed to do all the jumps then i think she has a chance.. though it will depend how yuna, mao, kostner, akiko, and the russian girls will do..

Julia is talented and Julia has a chance to podium but Gracie has edge because of her body type - she looks like a blossomed lady already
she is faster, has bigger jumps thus can rack higher GOE

cooper

Medalist
Julia is talented and Julia has a chance to podium but Gracie has edge because of her body type - she looks like a blossomed lady already
she is faster, has bigger jumps thus can rack higher GOE

yeah.. i give gracie the edge because of her jumps but a clean julia is more enticing.. her lp has a potential to sweep everyone's hearts.. plus it will be held in her home country..

Nadia01

Final Flight
Gracie has about 20-40%

BTW - I forgot to add one more thing --

The only LEGITIMATE SKATER who can challenge a clean Yuna is a clean Mao. That's it.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Gracie can beat the Russians if they all hit (and home ice scoring doesn't inflate the Russian's performances) but she's for sure going to need help from Yuna Kim and Mao Asada imo. Carolina Kostner has looked vulnerable this season - I think she is beatable.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
No American will medal, including Gold. It doesn't matter what she does; there will be at least four or five skaters ahead of her in the final standings. Yuna, Mao and Akiko are skaters she can't touch with a ten-foot pole no matter how they skate, Julia and Adelina's clean performances are already better than her clean performances and they will get higher scores still because the judges will want one of them on the podium, and then there's Carolina Kostner, who may be shaky and inconsistent but will be the darling of the judges and the audience.

I'm sorry, guys, but the question of Gold getting a medal only occurs to American fans. No one else can see it happening.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Well, Gracie it made it no secret that she idolizes Yuna, and now, she will get to compete head-to-head against her idol.

I think as of now, Gracie is better skater than Julia, although Julia will get home bonus points.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Yuna, Mao and Akiko are skaters she can't touch with a ten-foot pole no matter how they skate
I agree with the first two, but not Akiko :confused:

She is not untouchable for Gold, very beatable instead. If Gold goes clean, Akiko need the skate of her life to beat Gold, and their score will go side by side, Akiko for PCS, and Gold for TES

mikeko666

Final Flight
I agree with the first two, but not Akiko :confused:

She is not untouchable for Gold, very beatable instead. If Gold goes clean, Akiko need the skate of her life to beat Gold, and their score will go side by side, Akiko for PCS, and Gold for TES

Their TES will be comparable, but Gold will never be able to touch Suzuki in PCS if both skate clean.