Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Gladly, because I wouldn't want you to pawn that off as anything objective or proveable, when the opposite is clearly apparent.

Skaters run through their real programs in practice so the fact that "it's just a practice" has nothing to do with it.

And I don't take it that seriously. I know it sounds cute and it makes you feel better to pretend that I take this nearly as serious as a lot of the crazies here do, but I don't.

I don't even take my own training that seriously, nevermind what some skater from a far off country that I've never met.

I do enjoy discussing the technical aspects of figure skaters with other skaters and fans, but I've quickly discovered that this is the WRONG place to do it :)

I try not to think but, unfortunately, you sound to have a certain agenda. Regrettably, it is hard to give credit to your claim such as "approvable" or "objective", don't you think?
what makes your claim objective, I wonder?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Gladly, because I wouldn't want you to pawn that off as anything objective or proveable, when the opposite is clearly apparent.

Skaters run through their real programs in practice so the fact that "it's just a practice" has nothing to do with it.

And I don't take it that seriously. I know it sounds cute and it makes you feel better to pretend that I take this nearly as serious as a lot of the crazies here do, but I don't.

I don't even take my own training that seriously, nevermind what some skater from a far off country that I've never met.

I do enjoy discussing the technical aspects of figure skaters with other skaters and fans, but I've quickly discovered that this is the WRONG place to do it :)

Nater, I didn't read your response clearly earlier because I was in class, but now I see that you try to assess Li through her practice run based on an assumption that it is one in competition. I get it. But I wouldn't do that. I just wanted to check Li's condition since she was reportedly said undergoing injury and unable to show up for some time. All I do is check her condition and jump and her move on ice. But as far as competition goes, your emphasis on transition in Adelina's performance does not strike the chord with me. Actually in that details which I couldn't comprehend what kind of point you are trying to make. You may not like my opinion on Adelina, but it does not matter oif you highlt regard her as a skater. In fact she is the best among her Russian peers, and my opinion also will change as she improves. You don't have to defend her, because I am not here to putdown Adelina.

Gigi13

On the Ice
Well to answer the original question in this thread...No I don't think Gracie can win a gold medal in Sochi she can however place in the top 10 or maybe top 5, and if other competitors struggle then she has the possibility to fight for the bronze medal but that can only happen if others mess up.

yuki90

On the Ice
Yes, I believe she can beat Russians because her spin is above average and her jumping technic is superior than Russians.

Anything can happen in the Olympics. If Yuna and Mao make some mistakes, she could win the OGM.

minze

Medalist
Critiqueing and voicing honest opinions is not bashing. The way Mao fans and Yu Na fans go at each other and their favorites, now that's bashing extraordinaire.

People keep accusing Mao fans of bashing but I dont see . Who?

minze

Medalist
This. This thread is ridiculous with the Yu Na criticism.

Bear in mind, Nationals was Gold first decent SP+LP senior competition. Kim has had tons of those.

Bashing her as not being a technical phenom for not having a consistent 3L is as silly as saying Gold can't be considered a technical phenom for her lip and Julia can't be considered a technical phenom for her flutz.

It is amazing what is considered bashing for some Yuna fans. I did not see any bashing, but in any case if that is considered bashing what do we call what other skaters like Mao get here:confused:

ks777

Record Breaker
I am not a fan of either Mao or Yuna.. I am a big Miki fan and I know what her weaknesses are and I don't have any problems people pointing them out. Miki's really slow with hunched back sometimes.. and not much transitions in between. there I said it. I am still a big fan, I just wish Miki have worked on those before retiring..

CarneAsada

Medalist
Like you should know, the one who flaunt your superior algorithm to 'scientifically' quantify uncertainties, the last fool who try to do this to the sport is called Chinquanta, I wonder if your ego is as big as his or as admired. ;)
:laugh: So I assume due to your bizarre mention of me in your initial post, you have an aversion to numbers and people who throw out estimates? Apparently, talking about skaters' chances of winning is flaunting a "superior" algorithm! Who knew? I will admit that if Kim doesn't end up beating Gold for the gold (which is still not happening, whether you think it's a 5 or 14 or 17% chance), I'll look rather stupid, but that's a risk you take in betting.

When such large and exclusive claims are made, you can bet that the purpose is not to claim inferiority. I think it fair to say that the Middle Kingdom has never had a problem with lack of pride. ;)

Some individuals are simply fortunate to be born with more advantageous traits for what they choose to do. This has nothing to do with nationalistic bombast, unless you are bored and feel like acting like a poop-stirring semi-troll and choose to make it so. :sarcasm:
No, China does not lack for pride and yes, it often enjoys whitewashing and lengthening its history. And of course, the body one is born with can affect performance. Though unless I've overlooked a few conversations, I usually only hear about one skater's unusually perfect body proportions in many discussions about skaters' bodies. ;)

Robeye

Final Flight
No, China does not lack for pride and yes, it often enjoys whitewashing and lengthening its history. And of course, the body one is born with can affect performance. Though unless I've overlooked a few conversations, I usually only hear about one skater's unusually perfect body proportions in many discussions about skaters' bodies. ;)
Perhaps you are being a trifle oversensitive to the phenomenon.

You can always choose to ignore the discussion. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
On youtube, I found all three of the top Euro ladies' SPs more arresting than Gracie today. All three programs seemed more sophisticated than Gracie's.
But I will say that I saw Gracie live at worlds last year and she was one of four lady skaters who really had enough ice presence to capture my attention from my bad, high-up seat. The other three were Yuna, Caro and Ashley. Gracie skates big. Will that be an advantage over Adelina and Julia?

Hey mathman, do something.

teehee.

Puchi

On the Ice
I have a question that may seem random, and I apologize if I'm way off topic, but...

;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question that may seem random, and I apologize if I'm way off topic, but...

;)
No Way!! Not after what I saw in Budapest today. I don't think she could win there!!!

Barb

Record Breaker
Not one mention of Gracie? Am I in the wrong forum again??

well, comparing Gracie sp at nationals with Adelina, Julia and Carolina at euros I prefer in this order: 1. Adelina 2. Carolina 3. Gracie 4. Julia. For me the problem with Gracie is still her wild arms. I know she is working in fix it, but not enough yet.

minze

Medalist

;)

Maybe. Only if Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, Adelina and Julia have a bad night and she is 100 perfect.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well, comparing Gracie sp at nationals with Adelina, Julia and Carolina at euros I prefer in this order: 1. Adelina 2. Carolina 3. Gracie 4. Julia. For me the problem with Gracie is still her wild arms. I know she is working in fix it, but not enough yet.
So you think Gracie can beat Lipnitskaia for the first time in her career? Not sure about that. Hmm.... Maybe in the short but I think the FS puts her in 5th here if you use her Nationals skate. That first jump seemed to only impress Scott Hamilton. 4th place going to anyone that wasn't in the US Nationals.

Barb

Record Breaker
So you think Gracie can beat Lipnitskaia for the first time in her career? Not sure about that. Hmm....
I don´t know, in this sp I prefer Gracie´s but probably Gracie can win over Julia, she has bigger 3-3 with a true lutz, very good spins, Julia´s spins are better but Gracie´s are good, both step seq are a little mediocres. May be after Sochi Gracie can get better scores, because is obvious that right now Russians are trying prop up to Julia and Adelina.
About pcs for me:
Coreography same in sp, Julia better in LP
Transitions same
SS Gracie is superior
Interpretation Julia superior
Performance (I don´t understand this part)

Truly ladies skaters are looking very well, not only Yuna and Mao. Bright future for the next four years :popcorn:.