Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 303

Thread: Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    207
    I think she can win silver, esp. if the top skaters have a few mistakes and she absolutely nails her programs. That would be an incredible accomplishment. It's def. possible that the silver fight could come down to her and Julia, if both clean (assuming Yuna is clean to). Not sure how Mao and Caro will do, considering Mao recovering from injury and Caro having switched programs.

  2. #17
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    If Yuna, Mao, CaroK, Akiko, Kanako and a whole bunch of others who had better international success than Grace all zamboni the heck out of the ice, while Grace manages to stay upright, yes. Grace can win OGM.

    The chances of that happening? Very very small.

  3. #18
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    I think Gracie can get top five if she skates like she did at nationals...

    It would take several major contenders majorly stumbling/falling to get Gracie all the way to gold.

  4. #19
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    If Yuna, Mao, CaroK, Akiko, Kanako and a whole bunch of others who had better international success than Grace all zamboni the heck out of the ice, while Grace manages to stay upright, yes. Grace can win OGM.

    The chances of that happening? Very very small.
    I disagree. Gracie can beat Akiko and Kanako even if they all skated clean. Gracie's spins and jumps are much much much better than these two. I think Gracie has a good chance of beating Yuna if Yuna makes a mistake. We'll see. Gracie has improved tremendously in one year. She was already in the top 6 in the world last year. I won't be surprised if it came down to between Gracie and Julia.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,430
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I disagree. Gracie can beat Akiko and Kanako even if they all skated clean. Gracie's spins and jumps are much much much better than these two. I think Gracie has a good chance of beating Yuna if Yuna makes a mistake. We'll see. Gracie has improved tremendously in one year. She was already in the top 6 in the world last year. I won't be surprised if it came down to between Gracie and Julia.
    I love Gracie, but no. Yu Na, Mao and Carolina get huge PCS scores (even when they don't skate cleanly) that Gracie hasn't come close to in international competition. Julia has edged closer to those scores, but only in Russia---and Sochi is in Russia.

    Gracie was top 6 in a Worlds without Julia. She can still be top 6 because she now can beat Ashley. She could beat Julia if Julia makes mistakes, but it won't be easy since Julia has home ice advantage. Next season will be Gracie's big chance to move up to the podium.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Gracie was top 6 in a Worlds without Julia. She can still be top 6 because she now can beat Ashley. She could beat Julia if Julia makes mistakes, but it won't be easy since Julia has home ice advantage.
    In every competition that they have competed against each other, Gracie has never beaten Julia.

  7. #22
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Gracie isn't going to beat Yuna, Mao, Caro and, I'd venture say, even Akiko, if those skaters are clean. So first all, if even one of those skaters skates clean, no gold for Gold. It's a toss up if she's able to beat Julia and Adelina if those two are clean. (I like Julia's LP better than Gracie's). However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gracie medal. She's the USA champ and she can score BIG. She's in a better position that Rachael was ahead of Vancouver. Rachael's big advantage at the time was her consistency but being able to score big is a better advantage.

    In every competition that they have competed against each other, Gracie has never beaten Julia
    I'd be interested to see revisit those competitions with that comparison in mind. Did Gracie and Julia both put forward their best?

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    I doubt it. If it does happen, it's equivalent to Kimmie Messiner winning Gold at the 2006 WC BUT this it the Olympic Games where athletes have prepared "all their lives" to compete. Therefore, I think Gracie will extremely luck if she's on the podium.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    If Gracie wins Gold, she would be the luckiest skater to have won the Olympics. In most years, there are only 1 or 2 who are truly worth the title. This year, I see a line of great skaters who can win, and should win. And if she does, that means it was the worst skated Olympics ever in term of top contenders bombing.

  10. #25
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    I see this skate as strong contender for an upset gold medal:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57sCIHCtXaw

    More so than what Gracie has shown.

    But Julia will be under more pressure than Gracie, I think, in Sochi.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    117
    I would just like to see her skate well and possibly get on the Podium. Winning Gold, well that would be asking a lot.

  12. #27
    Custom Title Franklin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    I think she can win silver, esp. if the top skaters have a few mistakes and she absolutely nails her programs. That would be an incredible accomplishment. It's def. possible that the silver fight could come down to her and Julia, if both clean (assuming Yuna is clean to). Not sure how Mao and Caro will do, considering Mao recovering from injury and Caro having switched programs.
    According to an article, Sato said Mao's lower back was no good after the Jpn National. It has been recovered OK now she can do sit spin as low as she usually does. So I think is safe to say that, baring a new injury, Mao will be in a much better shape at the Olympics then she was at Nationals.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    207
    Watching her skates again, I like her LP better than her SP. Her LP tells a story, and while generic, the music is beautiful tchaikovsky, in a fairy tale setting. Gracie is living a fairy tale right now, so it mirrors her life. And it it's grand and dramatic, which fits her style much better than the SP, which is soft, lyrical and interpretive- not her style. She's a power skater. Her sp feels like more of a 69-70 program rather than 72 (I jokingly said her sp might go to 74-75 given nationals inflation this year around the world), so again she would prolly be behind the leaders in the short, putting her in more of a hole going into the long. But boy, that long...if she nails it...

  14. #29
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    According to an article, Sato said Mao's lower back was no good after the Jpn National. It has been recovered OK now she can do sit spin as low as she usually does. So I think is safe to say that, baring a new injury, Mao will be in a much better shape at the Olympics then she was at Nationals.
    They should invent a fingers-crossed emoticon.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    According to an article, Sato said Mao's lower back was no good after the Jpn National. It has been recovered OK now she can do sit spin as low as she usually does. So I think is safe to say that, baring a new injury, Mao will be in a much better shape at the Olympics then she was at Nationals.

    I want every skater healthy going into Sochi- bring it on!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •