Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    They should invent a fingers-crossed emoticon.
    This symbol best resemble a finger crossed: &

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Gracie isn't going to beat Yuna, Mao, Caro and, I'd venture say, even Akiko, if those skaters are clean. So first all, if even one of those skaters skates clean, no gold for Gold. It's a toss up if she's able to beat Julia and Adelina if those two are clean. (I like Julia's LP better than Gracie's). However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gracie medal. She's the USA champ and she can score BIG. She's in a better position that Rachael was ahead of Vancouver. Rachael's big advantage at the time was her consistency but being able to score big is a better advantage.

I'd be interested to see revisit those competitions with that comparison in mind. Did Gracie and Julia both put forward their best?
    the 2 competitions that I could find were
    Junior Worlds:
    1 Julia Lipnitskaia Total: 187.05; Short: 63.09, Free Skate: 123.96
    2 Gracie Gold Total: 171.85; Short: 58.00, Free Skate: 113.85

Skate Canada:
    1 Julia Lipnitskaia: Total: 198.23; Short: 66.89; Free Skate: 131.34
    3 Gracie Gold: Total: 186.75;Short: 69.45; Free Skate: 117.20

Tripping on the Podium
    If Gracie wins Gold It won't be because of "luck" It will be because talented and consistency

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    the 2 competitions that I could find were
    Junior Worlds:
    1 Julia Lipnitskaia Total: 187.05; Short: 63.09, Free Skate: 123.96
    2 Gracie Gold Total: 171.85; Short: 58.00, Free Skate: 113.85

Skate Canada:
    1 Julia Lipnitskaia: Total: 198.23; Short: 66.89; Free Skate: 131.34
    3 Gracie Gold: Total: 186.75;Short: 69.45; Free Skate: 117.20
    It will be interesting to see where the discussion goes after the European Championships this week (yay!). We'll get another good look at Caro, Adelina and Julia.

The times I've seen Julia skate well this season, I've thought, dang, this girl could snatch the gold. She wasn't even at worlds last season but she has somehow already positioned herself as a clear medal threat. If she manages to win Euros, the hype (and the pressure) will go through the roof. For Caro and Adelina too but it would be more expected for them to win and people will still wonder if they can defeat their consistency demons.

(For the record, even though I am so impressed by both Julia and Gracie, and though I like Ashley and Adelina, for sentimental reasons, I must root for Caro and/or Akiko to get their first Olympic medals )

Custom Title
    Gracie definitely has the Gold material in her. Her jumps are superior, probably as good as Yuna's. She has a beautiful body line, she's blond, and pretty face…all can points accumulating factor. She needs to add some level of sophistication in her presentation, and that's all.

Judges have been giving Julia Lip huge scores, why not Gracie, especially when she is clean. In perfect judging, Gracie should receive much more GOE scores in her jumps than Julia. I believe a clean Gracie should beat a clean Julia. I don't think Mao or Caro will be clean at the Oly, since they haven't been for a long time. In a word, I expect something big from Gracie at the Oly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Gracie definitely has the Gold material in her. Her jumps are superior, probably as good as Yuna's. She has a beautiful body line, she's blond, and pretty face…all can points accumulating factor. She needs to add some level of sophistication in her presentation, and that's all.

Judges have been giving Julia Lip huge scores, why not Gracie, especially when she is clean. In perfect judging, Gracie should receive much more GOE scores in her jumps than Julia. I believe a clean Gracie should beat a clean Julia. I don't think Mao or Caro will be clean at the Oly, since they haven't been for a long time. In a word, I expect something big from Gracie at the Oly.
    i agree with everything you just said. Gracie now looks and skates like a lady and has superior skating skills than Julia. Faster bigger jumps and even the one area where Julia is best at in spins Gracie always gets L4 for her spins. But sadly the Olympics are in Russia so Julia will get way over scored. I hate the politics of skating.

Rinkside
    No. Her choreography is empty compared to her top competitors and I haven't even seen Yuna's programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiloquy View Post
    No. Her choreography is empty compared to her top competitors and I haven't even seen Yuna's programs.
    Oh you mean like when Julia draws hearts on the ice at the start of her SP. Yes that is choreography at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I disagree. Gracie can beat Akiko and Kanako even if they all skated clean. Gracie's spins and jumps are much much much better than these two. I think Gracie has a good chance of beating Yuna if Yuna makes a mistake. We'll see. Gracie has improved tremendously in one year. She was already in the top 6 in the world last year. I won't be surprised if it came down to between Gracie and Julia.
    ita... frank and grace =gold. cannot wait to crow=anyway, podium is totally possible now.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Skateluvr, do you actually get money for each new thread you open?!?
    And how big is your bonus if the thread is redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post

ITA. I just hope Gracie nails her programs!!

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    And how big is your bonus if the thread is redundant?
    there all different sincere questions. my only forgiveable would be I sometime do forget. However, Why not ask the folks who start Yuna threads (4 in one day) or collboogie -he started I think 3 threads in folder and edge-all mirai, and there was an old one still trending on edge. so tell me what is redundant? usually mods merge...I ask questions to learn, and I am reading wisdom re grace's chances.

Care to answer the topic? TY. I knew you would be kind. So many questions and so many skate fans to learn from...

Banned
    I believe she has 0% chance to beat Yu Na Kim, so no gold is already out (I am not even saying Kim is ensured the gold, but I do feel Gold definitely wont beat her). A medal is possible but she has alot of obstacles to get there. She will likely need to duplicate her great U.S Nationals performances, and receive alot of help to win a medal.

If Yuna and Mao are still ruling these games(don't expect this in Russia, btw) then why bother watch? If Grace can do two performances like she did, She has the 3lutz/3toe -they scaled the size back-she needed control and Frank is helping...then she does double axel, triple toe? I don't remember all this for serious reasons but also I watch for the total performance quality. She has really fast spins and superior Bielmann, and she is a tall majestic young woman, not gawky. Her body is perfect for ballet, dance, skating. She is even pretty.

Her arms are much better than Kwan's. Kim's upper body, lovely arm usage is what some prefer. I am so picky about lines...I have loved Grace from day one. If someone could compare her layouts to the top 2-3 ranked in world, that would be great for us non techies.

She has enough style to win if she goes clean technically. YuNa kim was winning with her fully rotated jumps. Most skaters get edge calls and downgrades-not YuNa. How about Grace?

I'm rooting for several skaters and if veterans get the rep points, well so be it..but even more exciting is seeing great skaters newbies to Oly podium. I hope so, as it would be a fairer world.

Banned
    Gracie has about 20-40%
    the only legitimate skate who can challenge a clean Yuna for the Gold

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast