Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I hope it's not 80+, that would be the most ridiculous inflation in any international competition ever.

Now of course that doesn't mean they won't do it.

I predict there will be so many ridiculous things done at the Games by time the ladies event comes around us fans will be numb and even things that other times might seem ridiculous will seem almost like nothing by comparision. Between the annual rounds of inflation and the annual display of how many falls Chan is allowed to win with, Bobrova & Soloviev almost certain to be "given" the bronze for that sad sack of rubbish of a FD, the potential of some ridiculousness surrounding V&T should they not skate up to snuff, and who knows what else by then.

Nater

Match Penalty
She has a chance. A very slim one.

I watched her performance through a television screen and still thought the same thing. Her 3-3 combo on BOTH nights in particular seemed more labored. In the past, they would be completely solid and so fluid, but it was as if she would take quick breaks in between her triple lutz and her triple toe loop (because she landed a little too much forward). Personally, I'd be pissed if she got +1.20 GOE in international competition with that combination--but I'm okay with it here at Nationals.

I honestly thought she and Polina were both overscored in terms of +GOE on their 3-3 combinations and I really hope that just because they were successful at Nationals that intnernational judges don't suddenly give them Yuna GOE for slightly-off jumps. That's just horrible encouragement to keep doing messy jumps.

SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME4Gy3w1l0M
2en59vl.png

FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kLF3uhVsc
ifza01.png

If that can get +3 from judges (and avoiding the '<' it should be getting on the 3T), then Gold's combination, especially the one she did in the SP, should be getting +4's.

yuki90

On the Ice
I hope it's not 80+, that would be the most ridiculous inflation in any international competition ever.

Now of course that doesn't mean they won't do it.

I dont think it's ridiculous. actucally it could happen and she deserves it. Her skating skill and interpretation has improved a lot since Vancouver because she keep training during the 2 yrs break. The distance of her 3-3 is even longer than Vancouver by 0.1m.

she will definitely got the highest in PCS like 36~37 and her TES is 43+ with massive GOE

Nater

Match Penalty
Wow.YuNa is not a spinner but her spin and position is better than Caro, Akiko.
Did you know Yuna got the Highst score in spins among ladies at 2013 World?
Artistry depends personal. there are so many experts and figure skaters think Yuna's artistry is untouchable.

Yuna deserved to win WC2013, but her protocol for the FS was a laughing stock. Yuna is not that great a spinner.

Yuna scored the highest in spins because the judges just chucked a +2 or +3 to everything she did in that program irregardless of its quality compared to other, clearly better spinners in the competition.

yuki90

On the Ice

Nater

Match Penalty
I am not sure Ashley would beat a clean Gold anymore. U.S Nationals might be a big turning point in such a thing, as Gold will probably be backed as the U.S #1 now, and as they are relatively evenly matched, that could make all the difference.

You also forgot Yu Na Kim who I would give some chance of beating a clean Gold if she herself also skated cleanly, along with those you already mentioned.

Gracie Gold beat Wagner in the FS at both Worlds and Nationals last year. Gold has been better than Wagner for a while. The only thing that stopped her from winning vs. her is consistency. If Gold skates a clean SP and FS, Wagner is not going to beat her. She is not Kim for PCS and her spins and jumps are clearly not on Gracie's level. It's been this way for a while.

bixby

Final Flight
Yuna deserved to win WC2013, but her protocol for the FS was a laughing stock. Yuna is not that great a spinner.

Yuna scored the highest in spins because the judges just chucked a +2 or +3 to everything she did in that program irregardless of its quality compared to other, clearly better spinners in the competition.

Gracie's spin is fast, well-centered and beautiful to watch. +3 GOE should be deserved. Her jump combos are high and spectacular IMHO. Best in the world by far! She could WIN gold indeed!

And she's very beautiful and that's also a plus!!!

RABID

Final Flight

:rolleye:

ks777

Record Breaker
I dont think it's ridiculous. actucally it could happen and she deserves it. Her skating skill and interpretation has improved a lot since Vancouver because she keep training during the 2 yrs break. The distance of her 3-3 is even longer than Vancouver by 0.1m.

she will definitely got the highest in PCS like 36~37 and her TES is 43+ with massive GOE

I haven't noticed her skating skills and interpretation improvement. how would you know about her jumps?? Her 3-3 is definitely not as strong as 4yrs ago.

ks777

Record Breaker
Yuna’s 3-3 got a flow in the landing ,perfect air position, height.

Maby 3-3 in FS is slightly short of rotation on 3T But Gracie's air position in 3-3 is nowhere near Kim's

nowhere near Kim? that's funny because I think Gracie's 3-3 better than Kim.

yuki90

On the Ice
what specific skaters? her spin is above average. shes got unique camel spin and fast.

Of course , Mao can get more scores than Yuna but at 2013 World, she missed some level in spin.

that's why Yuna got the highest score. why dont you go back to watch again?

Nater

Match Penalty
Yuna’s 3-3 got a flow in the landing ,perfect air position, height.

Maby 3-3 in FS is slightly short of rotation on 3T But Gracie's air position in 3-3 is nowhere near Kim's

You're delusional.

Both of those 3/3's are short. Rip the video off of YouTube in 1080p and load the file into a video analysis application. I did, did you?

As for Gold's air position, Lutz then Toe:
2wolukn.png

2zqwmiv.png

In Gymnastics terms ( :p ) there is nothing to deduct from that air position. The position she has for rotating the triple toe, in particular, is literally textbook. The lutz doesn't need to be that tight (though it still is) as she finishes rotating the jump (IJS clean rotation) about 4-5 inches off the ice (she actually opens up in the air before the landing, otherwise she'll over rotate it).

That combination Gold did is better than both of Kim's combination, in practically every way.

I find it odd that people consider Yuna Kim a technical phenom in jumping - a skater who has never had a consistent triple loop, and who is slightly above average, at best, in spinning.

So I'm surprised people are trying to dog her for her triple-triple.

McIce

Rinkside
I haven't noticed her skating skills and interpretation improvement. how would you know about her jumps?? Her 3-3 is definitely not as strong as 4yrs ago.
Well, just as you said, YOU haven't noticed that. Why does that matter? I have noticed the improvement.

See? Subjective statement is so easy to make.

Her 3-3 is definitely better than 4 years ago. Your argument is wrong. If you don't think so, prove me wrong.

Gosh! I love making sweeping statement without any fact backing up! Feel so good about that. It makes life so easy.

cooper

Medalist

i don't know about that... have you seen her 3-3 at last year's worlds especially in the LP?

yuki90

On the Ice

I read a article about Yuna's 3-3 recently. In Korean SBS NEWS, They measure the distance.

If you want read it, google it.

I repect your opinion, I noticed her improvement. :)

Nater

Match Penalty
i don't know about that... have you seen her 3-3 at last year's worlds especially in the LP?

Have you seen the screen caps and links that I provided, from 2014 Korean Nationals? She barely to got that triple toe around in her FS at worlds.

She got an edge call on her flip in the SP at worlds, as well.

ForeverFish

Medalist
There oughta be a formal theory that every thread, no matter the original topic, eventually turns into a Yuna thread.

ks777

Record Breaker
Well, just as you said, YOU haven't noticed that. Why does that matter? I have noticed the improvement.

See? Subjective statement is so easy to make.

Her 3-3 is definitely better than 4 years ago. Your argument is wrong. If you don't think so, prove me wrong.

Gosh! I love making sweeping statement without any fact backing up! Feel so good about that. It makes life so easy.

I can say the same thing to you. Why do you think her 3-3 is better than 4yrs ago? what is wrong with my argument??? because she never underrotated 3-3 before, she sometimes underrotates them now. now you tell me why her 3-3 is definitely better than 4yrs ago?

CarneAsada

Medalist
I find it odd that people consider Yuna Kim a technical phenom in jumping - a skater who has never had a consistent triple loop, and who is slightly above average, at best, in spinning.
Spinning shouldn't matter when one looks at whether to dub a skater a technical phenom in jumping, right? If you want to talk gymnastics terms, Kim is like a gymnast who has had an excellent, consistent flick-flick-layout on beam for the last 8 years while some of her competitors might have Arabians and layout fulls that they can only keep consistent for about 3 years.