Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    The SP* is over (not the entire competition). ...
    Yes, bB is right. Mirai will skate again in the FS today.
    Start time: Sep 13, 5:00 PM Mountain Daylight Time

Mirai will skate 10th out of 13 ladies:

Custom Title
    I love the 3S talk as well, wish to see five different triples in Mirai's LP. Go Mirai!

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkJuRNGJrqs

I like this so much, I find it's funny that Tom answered the question instead of Mirai for the FS «A Triple Flip/Triple Toe!»

Tom is great coach for Mirai
    Mirai doesn't seem to believe in herself. But, Tom believe in her and It seems to help her to rebuilt a confidence that she has lost over the last 4 years!

Custom Title
    Mirai skated the SP in SLC with the same blank expression with which she's skated every program since 2010. I've pretty much given up any expectation of seeing a revival of the old Mirai. If she doesn't believe it's going to happen, it won't.

Custom Title
    Apparently the triple salchow has been a nemesis. Funny, just like it was for Kristi Y.

Custom Title
    In the short, Mirai got the highest skating skill score among the american ladies, but that was only a 7.15. Polina and Courtney got 6.95.

Polina was underscored compared to the rest of the field IMO. It didn't make a difference in placement, but still...

Custom Title
    SP first impression

Negatives
    Why is she still doing the generic American Classic lady "I wanna be a Michelle Kwan version 1104" type of skating as if she is skating for 60 years old grandmas at an Sunday afternoon tea party. Kind of old fashioned, generic, inoffensive material. Positively devoid of dynamism or modernism, it tastes positively Vanilla.

Postives
    Hey! Mirai is getting closer to the American Classic lady MK version 8.0 than ever before!!! She literally forced herself upgrade the same MK mode these last couple of years to what is generally deemed a respectable mature classy representation ther US federation advisor probably had a hand in during champion camp. And actually... I do enjoy hang out with Grandmas for afternoon teas. Plus I CAN like Vanilla ...every now and then, as long as it is complemented with something more texturely/crunchy, something warm, hot, chocolaty/velvet/punchy/pungent, whatever her FS is going to be.

Look forward to the FS. Hope we get something hot, spicey and extra nice. Although I highly doubt we will get that with Madam butterfly... the sort of program I generally detest every young Asian female do (along with Miss Saigon, Memoir of a Geisha, the unholy trinity of if you are of Asian descent, your creatively dead choreographer will surely shove down your throat at some point of your short and precious career (along with a Kungfu film OST, Last emperor, Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence, Some Asian war OSTs). IMHO a firable offence, better skate away before you too became a victim.) Just like my experience of watching MB opera, I hope I won't detest the character too much to wish she a quick death before it is all over. Things I will look out in the FS intention include emotional heights/rapture moments which hopefully will be supported by notable choreographic movements, as well some variation in the interpretative performance tomorrow. Die gloriously, like your world is on fire.

After Thoughts

To be fair, her approach isn't that different from many young ladies programs we have came to expect in this sport, but I had hoped to be proved wrong since 2011 consider the last couple of years hasn't exactly produced the result she want, that she'd do something different this season as a new start. Changing coach, changing choreographers are all good stuff, so why still the same generic program? Didn't expect her team to be playing safer and more conservative.

I have always believed Mirai has the magic when she is MOST Mirai instead of the mask of whoever her team think the judges expect of a US Champion/template formula whatevers. Just wish she'd trust herself more, and skate to something matter more personal to her, rather than what is considered is 'respectable' and 'expected' on paper, which never bring out her best assets: her personality, her youth, her Xfactor, which makes her such a charming skater to root for. These people pleaser qualities matters and can help boost her PCS by forcing the judges to pay attention (since her federation clearly isn't helping her), along with superior polished skating skills, maturity and her gorgeous final layback spin....worth to die for. Madam Mirai Alien Nagasu, hope you make it count this season!!! Will be cheering for you!

Custom Title
    Mirai is magical and special when she is technically confident (10OG) and when she is relaxed and completely invested in her performance (golden pond, demons), Right now, Mirai is trying very hard to increase her technical difficulty in order to still be in the mix, and she is not that confident at all. I think for now, the choreo is not the first priority as long as it is a good enough vehicle for her to find her confidence again...And I saw maturity in the new programs. Good luck Mirai.
    EDIT: also, asians have to use oriental music is a stereotype, however asians deliberately avoid oriental music is another stereotype. Madam Butterfly (judging from the music used in Mirai's LP) IMO is a very difficult music to interpret. Once choreo is done, transitions etc are fixed, however it is all up to Mirai to bring out the details, the emotions of the music. in that term, that piece of music is definitely challenging for her, although she skated MoG before. And from the earlier clips of her LP, I already saw maturity that never showed in all her previous performance. Can't wait for the LP video tonight, and how it grows throughout the season.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Mirai Nagasu's interview reacting to her FS in SLC (and discussing the Japan Open a bit):

Custom Title
    Shaky start for Mirai in the LP. Ur's raise their ugly head again. Hope she gets better as the season goes on. Guess I hoped for too much too soon.

Is Nagasu done?

1. Polina Edmunds, USA 176.35
    2. Courtney Hicks, USA 174.14
    3. Riona Kato, JPN 161.69
    4. Alaine Chartrand, CAN 161.65
    5. Mirai Nagasu, USA 159.49
    6. Brooklee Han, AUS 132.64
    7. Ashley Shin, USA 125.42
    8. Fleur Maxwell, LUX 116.16
    9. Anastasia Kononenko, UKR 115.41
    10. Frances Clare Untalan, PHI 111.35
    11. Beata Papp, FIN 92.70
    12. Chelsea Chiyan Yim, HKG 90.26
    13. Brittany Lau, SIN 74.85

Done What?

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    She's done with that competition. I think it's just back to the rink for some more work.

Custom Title
    It's just one competition, she did better at Broadmoor I believe

Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast