Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014 | Golden Skate

Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

Amei

Record Breaker
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-favorites-olympic-gold-women-39-figure-skating-202500430.html

no mention of the russian skaters?? their chances are much better actually...

I find it humorous that the they don't mention the Russians - but it's probably because Russia hasn't officially named their Olympic team. Though Adelina being the national champ is probably a definite (unless she gets injured at Euros) and unless Julia gets hurt or totally implodes by falling on every single jump both nights - I doubt they leave her off, she's been far to good and she finished 2nd at nationals, plus she seems to be a favorite of the media.

Ven

Match Penalty
It's just U.S. reporting for uninformed U.S. audiences.

The contenders are:

1. Yuna Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Akiko Suzuki
4. Adelina Sotnikova
5. Julia Lipnitskaia
6. Gracie Gold
7. Kanako Murakami

With Kostner as a wild-card.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's just U.S. reporting for uninformed U.S. audiences.

The contenders are:

1. Yuna Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Akiko Suzuki
4. Adelina Sotnikova
5. Julia Lipnitskaia
6. Gracie Gold
7. Kanako Murakami

With Kostner as a wild-card.

My order as far as favoritsm going in would be:

1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Lipnitskaia
4. Suzuki
5. Kostner
6. Sotnikova
7. Gold

Wagner and Murakami are the wild cards. Sotnikova is too inconsistent to put higher, and Kostner is having too blah a season to put higher. Either one could still put it all together and medal though of course. Lipnitskaia's consistency puts her that high, plus being at home. I need to see Gold show stability at more than one competition to put her higher. Wagner's stock drops bigtime, although she still could medal if she has the competition of her life. Murakami had a very good Nationals, but is a real long shot for a medal at best, although if she duplicated that peformance with no downgrades (very rare for her) and it wasnt a great event, she could sneak in there. Suzuki skating like she does at Nationals would win atleast silver though IMO, as I dont think it will be a real clean event. Mao is the 2nd favorite, but I have a haunting feeling she will wind up right off the podium (I hope not, but just a hunch I am getting of late). Osmond isnt even quite worth naming a wild card, as I really cant see any extreme scenario she medals in this year. Same goes for Li and Edmunds.

Ven

Match Penalty
Eh, I wanted to put Lipnitskaia ahead of Sotnikova and probably should have, but just went with the nationals result. I could easily switch them at 4-5.

I think Wagner is done to be honest, and Kostner is my wild card because she hasn't done anything this season. It's also hard to forget her performance in Vancouver.

RABID

Final Flight
I like this set-up HalfTriple and CanadianSkaterGuy used on another thread

This is my take (for what it is worth)

Gold: 4th-8th
Lipnitskaia: 2nd-7th
Sotnikova: 3rd-12th
Li: 7th-12th
Osmond: 5th-9th
Edmunds: 9th-12th
Asada: 1st-4th
Kostner: 1st-5th
Kim: 1st-3rd
Suzuki: 2nd-7th
Murakami: 4th-8th
Wagner: 3rd-8th

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like this set-up HalfTriple and CanadianSkaterGuy used on another thread

This is my take (for what it is worth)

Gold: 4th-8th
Lipnitskaia: 2nd-7th
Sotnikova: 3rd-12th
Li: 7th-12th
Osmond: 5th-9th
Edmunds: 9th-12th
Asada: 1st-4th
Kostner: 1st-5th
Kim: 1st-3rd
Suzuki: 2nd-7th
Murakami: 4th-8th
Wagner: 3rd-8th

Hmm interesting. OK here is mine:

Gold- 2nd to 8th
Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
Li- 8th to 15th
Osmond- 8th to 14th (wow you were incredibly generous on her IMO)
Edmunds- 9th to 15th
Asada- 1st to 5th
Kostner- 3rd to 7th
Kim- 1st to 2nd
Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
Murakami- 3rd to 8th
Wagner- 4th to 10th

andyjo24

Medalist
My order as far as favoritsm going in would be:

1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Lipnitskaia
4. Suzuki
5. Kostner
6. Sotnikova
7. Gold

Wagner and Murakami are the wild cards. Sotnikova is too inconsistent to put higher, and Kostner is having too blah a season to put higher. Either one could still put it all together and medal though of course. Lipnitskaia's consistency puts her that high, plus being at home. I need to see Gold show stability at more than one competition to put her higher. Wagner's stock drops bigtime, although she still could medal if she has the competition of her life. Murakami had a very good Nationals, but is a real long shot for a medal at best, although if she duplicated that peformance with no downgrades (very rare for her) and it wasnt a great event, she could sneak in there. Suzuki skating like she does at Nationals would win atleast silver though IMO, as I dont think it will be a real clean event. Mao is the 2nd favorite, but I have a haunting feeling she will wind up right off the podium (I hope not, but just a hunch I am getting of late). Osmond isnt even quite worth naming a wild card, as I really cant see any extreme scenario she medals in this year. Same goes for Li and Edmunds.

I mostly agree with you except that I would switch Kostner and Suzuki. Kostner hasn't been consistent but so hasn't Suzuki. Suzuki performed well at Japanese Nationals, but looking at the big picture, she hasn't been too consistent, which has affected her PCS mark. On the other hand, Kostner will always receive extremely high PCS marks regardless of whether she performed well or not (65 at the very least but usually 68+).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You could be right. I guess I am just swayed by Suzuki having such a spectacular performance lately. While Kostner hasnt had one like that for a long time now, atleast not that I know of. I also think Kostner's adoration by judges is exagerrated. She got alot of respect from judges last 2 years since she was reigning World Champion last season (a title she no longer holds), and the season before set herself up as the one to beat that particular season and was actually the best skater that whole season pretty much. Remember Kostner is the same skater who skated very well and lost to a multiple falls Czisny who bested her on PCS even with those multiple falls at Skate America 2011, with a quite solid skate didnt even medal at the crummy 2010 Worlds that Lepisto won her controversial bronze with 3 triples in, and who skating cleanly was bested by 5 points by Julia in the SP of COR. The judges like Kostner, but they arent gaga over her, and with her inability to ever skate clean competitions even on her good days, her underwhelming season so far, and the number of women stepping up lately, she wont find the quest for her first Olympic medal an easy one, and she is to commended if she somehow pulls it off.

RABID

Final Flight

Gold- 2nd to 8th
Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
Li- 8th to 15th
Edmunds- 9th to 15th
Asada- 1st to 5th
Kostner- 3rd to 7th
Kim- 1st to 2nd
Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
Murakami- 3rd to 8th
Wagner- 4th to 10th

You're probably right but at the same time placing her at 14th seems a little low to me.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You're probably right but at the same time placing her at 14th seems a little low to me.

Well she isnt 100% consistent. Remember her Four Continents competition last year. She had some bad summer outings this year too, albeit when already injured I believe. If she skates bad she could fall well out of the top 10. She isnt the kind of skater who will be held up by the judges if she skates poorly, and it is a deep field. I dont think she will come 14th, that is just the lowest end. Thinking of it more I would give her 6th or 7th as her high end potential result, but no more than that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Gold- 2nd to 8th
Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
Li- 8th to 15th
Edmunds- 9th to 15th
Asada- 1st to 5th
Kostner- 3rd to 7th
Kim- 1st to 2nd
Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
Murakami- 3rd to 8th
Wagner- 4th to 10th

this is about right

bixby

Final Flight
For the gold medal? Top 5 contenders:

1. Kim
2. Kim
3. Kim
4. Asada
5. Miscellaneous

Mine would be similar to yours. Let me see;

1. Gold
2. Gold
3. Gold
4. Julia
5. Adelina

Kim & Asada are my wild card... Just because! I have a feeling any of my top five could pull off a BIG SURPRISE in this Olympics. Let's watch and see what happens.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I really can't predict but I'm hoping that Wagner kicks some butt and redeems herself here with good skates.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Wagner is done to be honest, and Kostner is my wild card because she hasn't done anything this season. It's also hard to forget her performance in Vancouver.

I also think Wagner has done but I (and many others) have thought that before and been resoundingly proven wrong, so we'll see.

MiRé

Match Penalty
With US nationals controversy, if Wagner makes one or two mistakes, her pcs will drop down low and her tes wouldnt get any GOEs. Her combine score would be something between 140-180 and would be in top 10 not top 5