Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

Iscariot

On the Ice
I am sorry but yuna does NOT do footwork sequence before her combination, thats her setup! I am not going to start a war for "who's the best on what" BUT in my apreciation in terms of transitions Mao's programs wins (not by much), i dont know if they are the best ones but...

yuki90

On the Ice
I am sorry but yuna does NOT do footwork sequence before her combination, thats her setup! I am not going to start a war for "who's the best on what" BUT in my apreciation in terms of transitions Mao's programs wins (not by much), i dont know if they are the best ones but...

You mean their this season's program?

YuNa's LP is full of Choreos and transitions before and after the jumps.

In Mao's LP, I dont see any jump has more difficult entrance or exit than YuNa's.

Well, we'll find out soon at the Olympics how ISU judges think about their transitions.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
:agree: :agree: :agree: But I wouldn´t mind this one:

1. Kim or Asada
2. Kim or Asada
3. Kostner or Suzuki
4. Suzuki or Wagner
5. Miscellanious

Wagner at this moment has about as much chance of the GOLD medal as George Bush would have being elected chairman of the Lesbian and Gay Organization of America. If she wins a bronze medal it will be like gold to her.

Bartek

On the Ice
You mean their this season's program?

YuNa's LP is full of Choreos and transitions before and after the jumps.

In Mao's LP, I dont see any jump has more difficult entrance or exit than YuNa's.

Well, we'll find out soon at the Olympics how ISU judges think about their transitions.

Are you kidding? The only thing that Yu-Na does between her jumps is loads of crossovers. This program is shamfully tranistionless, considering it's Yu-Na Kim. Mao has quite a lot of transitions in her programs and there is much more choreography going on in there as well. Do I really have to make a full breakdown of their transitions? I will spend a lot of time providing youtube links for Yu-Na's empty set-up while you can simply go to youtube and see yourself, there is literally nothing in Yu-Na's FS apart from one difficult entrance - and ina bauer before the axel combination. Mao has lots of difficult exits and entrances and some transitions between the jumps too. Off the top of my head, both her triple flip and the triple axel in her short (!!!) have stunningly beatiful flowing difficult exits, and the loop has a difficult entry - spread eagle during the set-up. Just towards the end of the program she has a beautiful forward glide with her leg lifted behind her back. In the long, she has a spread eagle, similar glide before the flip combination, difficult exit after the sal, some steps going into the solo flip etc. If we are to count the crossovers Mao wins hands down, she has much less. I may do that if necessary but I recommend you simply watch those two programs and see yourself. If you know what a crossover look like you will surely notice that Yu-Na has them in abundance.

andyjo24

Medalist
Mao has quite a lot of transitions in her programs and there is much more choreography going on in there as well. Do I really have to make a full breakdown of their transitions?

Although I agree that Mao includes beautiful transitions/ choreography in the SP, the whole first minute of her LP just involves her chasing after her triple axels. There is no choreography/ transitions whatsoever....... The LP is painfully empty except for the beautiful, complex step-sequence at the end.

yuki90

On the Ice
Are you kidding? The only thing that Yu-Na does between her jumps is loads of crossovers. This program is shamfully tranistionless, considering it's Yu-Na Kim. Mao has quite a lot of transitions in her programs and there is much more choreography going on in there as well. Do I really have to make a full breakdown of their transitions? I will spend a lot of time providing youtube links for Yu-Na's empty set-up while you can simply go to youtube and see yourself, there is literally nothing in Yu-Na's FS apart from one difficult entrance - and ina bauer before the axel combination. Mao has lots of difficult exits and entrances and some transitions between the jumps too. Off the top of my head, both her triple flip and the triple axel in her short (!!!) have stunningly beatiful flowing difficult exits, and the loop has a difficult entry - spread eagle during the set-up. Just towards the end of the program she has a beautiful forward glide with her leg lifted behind her back. In the long, she has a spread eagle, similar glide before the flip combination, difficult exit after the sal, some steps going into the solo flip etc. If we are to count the crossovers Mao wins hands down, she has much less. I may do that if necessary but I recommend you simply watch those two programs and see yourself. If you know what a crossover look like you will surely notice that Yu-Na has them in abundance.

Wow Are you kidding? I can see many choreos and transitions in YuNa's LP.

Very impressive choreo right after the opening 3-3, foot work preceding to the 3s-2t and

also very unique choreo right after the 3S and beautiful tango step after the flip.

ina bauer and very difficult spread eagle entry changing edge three times before the 2A in SP

also foot work before her 3 flip in SP, beautiful step in the choreo squence.

shamefully transitionless? Do you even know what transition means? :laugh:

Transition includes choreos, edge changes, steps. ect.

I quite agreed with British Euro's commentator's opinion on Mao's LP “just Up and Down, up and down before the step..”

I dont know exactly who the British commentator is but I remember she was British Champion .

I really like Chris and Simon than her though.

guanchi

On the Ice

After watching Mao, she needs those supposed abundant transitions for points simply because she does not quite have the jump quality that Yuna has- I have no idea what you were watching. And you've conveniently overlooked the many little forward crossovers mao does before her axels in her long. For a program that in your eyes is packed with transitions in and out with incredibly difficult entrance and exits, it sure look rather empty. It doesn't help that this endlessly packed program with barely a crossover has such weak jumps, such a letdown. Didn't see anything special after her sal in the lp, looks like some sort of walley pull(not sure of the skating term) before her flip but it doesn't seem like some incredibly difficult setup like you make it sound like. So I know you like to do these analysis to try to make Yuna rather mediocre compared to other skaters, but in the end, if all these packed transitioned footwork programs end up with barely rotated jumps that looks full of effort, what's the point in trying to inflate them to a point where they don't really live up to the expectation. Not Mao bashing, just trying to bring things down to earth.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I am not sure at this point if comparison of PCS could do any good since each score lacks of common denominator lately.

acco-lade

Rinkside
As reported lately by 'bwin' ,a worldwide bets site.
Yuna kim was offered 1.6 odds on the gold
Followed by Mao in 6.0 ,Wagner and julia in 8.0
the forth is Caro 9.0
on Feb 16

ericka141

On the Ice
I would say the top five would be something like:
1: Kim
2: Asada
3. Suzuki (Or Kanako, or one of the Russians)
4. Gold
5. Wagner/Kostner

I would love to see Kaetlyn in the top five, but coming from a season ridden with injuries I just don't think she'll have high enough 3-3 combos to be able to place over those who do. I don't have a doubt in Yuna Kim's skating ability- I feel like the gold medal is hers for sure unless something horrible out of character happens. Asada's also a strong skater, and from what I've seek Akiko has the ability to hold up really well during stressful competitions.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
the forth is Caro 9.0
on Feb 16

That just shows they have no clue.

I want the final flight to look like this:

Adelina Sotnikova
Julia Lipnitskaia
Yuna Kim
Mao Asada
Carolina Kostner
Gracie Gold

That would be the most awesome final 6 ever.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
the forth is Caro 9.0
on Feb 16

Pretty accurate odds except for including Wagner at all and excluding Gold and Sotnikova. Wagner still has a shot at a medal, but at the gold not a flying fig of a chance now. Mine would be:

Kim- 1.6
Asada- 6.0
Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova both- 9.0
Gold- 10.0
Suzuki and Kostner- 12.0

Nobody else even worth considering for the gold. Murakami and Wagner could be considered for a medal.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sorry, the skater which should compete with Yuna in PCS is not Mao, but Caro.
I think you will get a better picture if you see Mao(,Yuna,Caro) live or on fancam.

Perhaps, but that wont ever happen if Kostner's PCS is now being matched or bettered by Sotnikova outside of Russia. As I said Kostner's stock is falling. Even if she wins Europeans that will be so, as she has skated 2 clean short programs this year and gone 0-3 vs Russian skaters.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Perhaps, but that wont ever happen if Kostner's PCS is now being matched or bettered by Sotnikova outside of Russia. As I said Kostner's stock is falling. Even if she wins Europeans that will be so, as she has skated 2 clean short programs this year and gone 0-3 vs Russian skaters.

I don't think it's her stock falling, so much as the Russians' stocks/PCS rising excessively. She still scored the same PCS as always for a clean program (and not too far from the highest PCS for an SP). It's her elements (particularly spins) lacking sufficient GOE that is hurting her and allowing others to surpass her (along with other skaters doing more difficult jumping passes).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Rapid, you are the voice of reason and I agree with you but As Osmond said on our local radio station that she is not thinking about getting a medal at the Olympics but skating her best and getting in the top ten. On the other hand Gold is expecting gold and with that comes pressure, pressure she probably can't handle.

Again, point me to a place where Gold said she was expecting Gold. I have seen SEVERAL interviews and read them and she nowhere indicated she was expecting to win. Either show me proof or try another tactic.

joannix

Rinkside
Wagner at this moment has about as much chance of the GOLD medal as George Bush would have being elected chairman of the Lesbian and Gay Organization of America. If she wins a bronze medal it will be like gold to her.

Amusing comparison!!!!! but you are right so I hope Ashley could have an stellar performance in Sochi :yes:

christinaskater

Medalist
Based on what is transpiring now.

1. Yu-Na Kim.
2. Mao Asada.
3. Adelina Sotnikova.
4. Julia Lipnitskaia/ Gracie Gold.
5. Carolina Kostner.
6. Akiko Suzuki
7. Ashley Wagner.
8. Kanako Murakami.
9. Kaetlyn Osmond.