Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

thinspread

On the Ice
Hmm interesting. OK here is mine:

Gold- 2nd to 8th
Lipnitskaia- 2nd to 5th
Sotnikova- 3rd to 9th
Li- 8th to 15th
Osmond- 8th to 14th (wow you were incredibly generous on her IMO)
Edmunds- 9th to 15th
Asada- 1st to 5th
Kostner- 3rd to 7th
Kim- 1st to 2nd
Suzuki- 2nd to 7th
Murakami- 3rd to 8th
Wagner- 4th to 10th

As of now, I agree with your list. Except that I would revise Kostner to be 2nd to 10th. I do hope Kostner win an Olympic medal, though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As of now, I agree with your list. Except that I would revise Kostner to be 2nd to 10th. I do hope Kostner win an Olympic medal, though.

Either way Kostner's stock is falling fast. The short program at Europeans just confirms that. The people who are even talking about her being the only one who could beat a clean Yu Na Kim are living in a time warp and need to get out of their coma.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mine would be similar to yours. Let me see;

1. Gold
2. Gold
3. Gold
4. Julia
5. Adelina

Kim & Asada are my wild card... Just because! I have a feeling any of my top five could pull off a BIG SURPRISE in this Olympics. Let's watch and see what happens.

I know they say ice is slippery and all, but it's an impossibility that Kim and Asada do not make the podium. Certainly one of Gold/Lip/Sot has a good chance at bronze.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Either way Kostner's stock is falling fast. The short program at Europeans just confirms that. The people who are even talking about her being the only one who could beat a clean Yu Na Kim are living in a time warp and need to get out of their coma.

If I recall correctly, you said a clean Kostner could challenge a clean Kim... but glad you've come to your senses.

Her stock isn't falling too poorly... she got the highest PCS, although not much higher than Sotnikova. It's higher PCS, and overall score from Cup of Russia though. More importantly, it's two clean short programs in a row from her. :clap:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No I did not say a clean Kostner could challenge a clean Kim. I was one of those who heavily opposed the suggestion at the end of last season, even when Kostner's stock was alot higher than it is now. Even at the point I felt she was the silver medal favorite above Asada I was sure to also point out repeatedly Mao was the only and bigger threat to Kim by far, as Kostner doesnt do more difficulty than Kim and if you dont outdo her in base value you have no hope of beating her. You can check my past messages if you want. As usual you love to put words in my mouth.

As for stock falling she skated cleanly and was beaten by both Russians, one who did the same jumps as her. That is a couple months after skating cleanly and losing to one of them by 5 points. For someone who was touted as on par with Kim and ahead of Asada to end last year, that is stock falling very fast. Add to that her inconsistency, Olympics being in Russia which will heavily favor Julia and Adelina, and like I said, winning a medal of any color in sochi, even a bronze, would be a huge feat for her to pull off at this point. People need to get over even considering Kostner a potential gold winner, even considering Suzuki or Gold for that makes more sense at this point, and just hope she can somehow win the bronze.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know they say ice is slippery and all, but it's an impossibility that Kim and Asada do not make the podium.

I bet that before her FS, many would have said that it would be an "impossibility" for Wagner to place out of the top three at U.S. Nats.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Kim will probably lose to both Russians in Sochi. The way their PCS are going up, it will not surprise me if their PCS are within .5 of Kim's.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kim has not failed to medal even once in her 8 year Senior career. Heck one of here more devout fans did research on her whole career and found out she hasnt not medalled in a competition (local, regional, juvenile, pre school, whatever) since she was in since she was 9. So yes I would agree it is an impossiability for her not to medal. Asada meanwhile isnt an impossability to not medal at all, but both her and Kim being off the podium at the same event is even more an impossability as Kim alone missing it already is. Wagner being outside the top 3 at Nationals was a big surprise, but she is no Yu Na Kim, and she has both fallen and failed to medal (aka excluding the pewter medal) several times since first debuting as a contender in 2008.

millie

Medalist
The favorite isn't suppose to always win. Otherwise Michelle Kwan would have two Olympic gold medals. If it was up to the power of wanting she would also have Olympic gold. The Americans are sure that Gracie is capable of this...where's the proof. She has crumpled under pressure before and with so many other matured skaters that are in the mix, she is bound to crumble again. She does well on home ice with all the gushing and fanfare but it's a different story in Sochi. Osmond has a good a chance as Gracie to medal. P

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
For Osmond to medal at the Games this year it would have been to be the biggest Olympic ladies splatfest in history bar none. There would literally have to be bombs dropping onto the ice that night.

Chris_E

On the Ice
That article is a bit silly but lets not forget that no lady has tried to defect her Olympic title since Katerina Witt. Yuna may be in for a lot more pressure than she expects. I agree though that she will be on the podium but Gold is not assured. After seeing Gracie Gold this week, her stock has certainly risen and I would not be surprised if her PCS gets a huge jump if she skates clean. Ashley is likely looking at bronze at best but that was always her ceiling. I think the final results at Europeans will be very telling as well.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sot's PCS is already within .3 of Kim's best PCS in the SP.
By Sochi, I doubt Kim's PCS can rise that much compare to Sot's.

Lip's PCS will be rising to within .5 of Kim's PCS as well. This is very likely to happen and nothing can be done about it.

Kim will have to outjump and outspin these two to beat them. We know she can't outspin them, so it will come down to jumps.
At this point, I see Kim and Asada having one big mistake over these two. The rest of them will not beat them if they are clean, and these two are clean. Very sad.

RABID

Final Flight
Sot's PCS is already within .3 of Kim's best PCS in the SP.
By Sochi, I doubt Kim's PCS can rise that much compare to Sot's.

Lip's PCS will be rising to within .5 of Kim's PCS as well. This is very likely to happen and nothing can be done about it.

Kim will have to outjump and outspin these two to beat them. We know she can't outspin them, so it will come down to jumps.
At this point, I see Kim and Asada having one big mistake over these two. The rest of them will not beat them if they are clean, and these two are clean. Very sad.

Actually I am beginning to wonder if things have changed so much that even Kim going clean is the guarantee it once was. Still, no one is a better competitor than her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Actually I am beginning to wonder if things have changed so much that even Kim going clean is the guarantee it once was. Still, no one is a better competitor than her.

Kim's marks in the SP could be interesting because she is skating early I believe, so they might not be as high as they could be from the later skaters. Adelina's SP will electrify the Russian crowd if clean and that could lead to strong PCS.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mine would be similar to yours. Let me see;

1. Gold
2. Gold
3. Gold
4. Julia
5. Adelina

Kim & Asada are my wild card... Just because! I have a feeling any of my top five could pull off a BIG SURPRISE in this Olympics. Let's watch and see what happens.

Wait... is it 2018 already!?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

The only way a clean Kim loses is if Asada skates totally clean with all her 3 axels and much higher base value. The idea of Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia beating a clean Kim even in Russia is a huge ROTFL!!!!

TheCzar

On the Ice
The only way a clean Kim loses is if Asada skates totally clean with all her 3 axels and much higher base value. The idea of Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia beating a clean Kim even in Russia is a huge ROTFL!!!!

I was gonna say! Seeing these youngsters skate clean once or twice this season has sent some folks up to high heaven in expectations. Let's not forget that not only is the ice slippery- but also, these two Russian ladies are prone to implosions. Julia skating at CoR was very telling, and Sot- well, she may skate a clean short but landing two flips in the long is always a tall order for her. In any case, I'd like to think that both Kim and Asada are heading into the Games with less pressure than Vancouver (or so they both say in their interviews), and if so, we may get better performances out of them compared to all the new Olympians. Wagner, Gold, the Russians and Osmond will have extreme pressure from their respective countries. As for Kim, Asada, Suzuki and Kostner- they've got nothing left to prove.