Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

Banned
    For Osmond to medal at the Games this year it would have been to be the biggest Olympic ladies splatfest in history bar none. There would literally have to be bombs dropping onto the ice that night.

On the Ice
    That article is a bit silly but lets not forget that no lady has tried to defect her Olympic title since Katerina Witt. Yuna may be in for a lot more pressure than she expects. I agree though that she will be on the podium but Gold is not assured. After seeing Gracie Gold this week, her stock has certainly risen and I would not be surprised if her PCS gets a huge jump if she skates clean. Ashley is likely looking at bronze at best but that was always her ceiling. I think the final results at Europeans will be very telling as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    Osmond has a good a chance as Gracie to medal. P
    , Osmond ? the girl who can only skate clean on home inflated ice ?

Custom Title
    Sot's PCS is already within .3 of Kim's best PCS in the SP.
    By Sochi, I doubt Kim's PCS can rise that much compare to Sot's.

Lip's PCS will be rising to within .5 of Kim's PCS as well. This is very likely to happen and nothing can be done about it.

Kim will have to outjump and outspin these two to beat them. We know she can't outspin them, so it will come down to jumps.
    At this point, I see Kim and Asada having one big mistake over these two. The rest of them will not beat them if they are clean, and these two are clean. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Sot's PCS is already within .3 of Kim's best PCS in the SP.
    By Sochi, I doubt Kim's PCS can rise that much compare to Sot's.

Lip's PCS will be rising to within .5 of Kim's PCS as well. This is very likely to happen and nothing can be done about it.

Kim will have to outjump and outspin these two to beat them. We know she can't outspin them, so it will come down to jumps.
    At this point, I see Kim and Asada having one big mistake over these two. The rest of them will not beat them if they are clean, and these two are clean. Very sad.
    Actually I am beginning to wonder if things have changed so much that even Kim going clean is the guarantee it once was. Still, no one is a better competitor than her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Actually I am beginning to wonder if things have changed so much that even Kim going clean is the guarantee it once was. Still, no one is a better competitor than her.
    Kim's marks in the SP could be interesting because she is skating early I believe, so they might not be as high as they could be from the later skaters. Adelina's SP will electrify the Russian crowd if clean and that could lead to strong PCS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bixby View Post
    Mine would be similar to yours. Let me see;

1. Gold
    2. Gold
    3. Gold
    4. Julia
    5. Adelina

Kim & Asada are my wild card... Just because! I have a feeling any of my top five could pull off a BIG SURPRISE in this Olympics. Let's watch and see what happens.
    Wait... is it 2018 already!?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    , Osmond ? the girl who can only skate clean on home inflated ice ?
    At least she HAS skated clean at some point, unlike Gold who has yet to put together a clean senior competition.

Gold does have more momentum going into Sochi though.

Banned
    The only way a clean Kim loses is if Asada skates totally clean with all her 3 axels and much higher base value. The idea of Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia beating a clean Kim even in Russia is a huge ROTFL!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The only way a clean Kim loses is if Asada skates totally clean with all her 3 axels and much higher base value. The idea of Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia beating a clean Kim even in Russia is a huge ROTFL!!!!
    I was gonna say! Seeing these youngsters skate clean once or twice this season has sent some folks up to high heaven in expectations. Let's not forget that not only is the ice slippery- but also, these two Russian ladies are prone to implosions. Julia skating at CoR was very telling, and Sot- well, she may skate a clean short but landing two flips in the long is always a tall order for her. In any case, I'd like to think that both Kim and Asada are heading into the Games with less pressure than Vancouver (or so they both say in their interviews), and if so, we may get better performances out of them compared to all the new Olympians. Wagner, Gold, the Russians and Osmond will have extreme pressure from their respective countries. As for Kim, Asada, Suzuki and Kostner- they've got nothing left to prove.

I hope you are right but unlike last year when a Patrick Chan could skate a splatfest and still win Worlds, now Suzuki beats Asada in JAPAN, Carolina skates a pretty decent program and is only 3rd and Ashley loses to a very junior looking Polina. Not saying anyone was robbed but it seems lately a pattern MIGHT be emerging with how the judges are viewing the veterans lately and nothing can be taken for granted. YuNa is a bit of question mark because she has been mostly absent this season. But that is my point; she hasn't been on any international ice surface since early November and things may have changed since then.

Custom Title
    Exactly, and this is not 6.0 anymore where the skaters will have lower marks if they skated earlier, Kim will score huge PCS-wise even if she mess a little so will Asada, there is no way the russians or americans will outscore them

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    Exactly, and this is not 6.0 anymore where the skaters will have lower marks if they skated earlier, Kim will score huge PCS-wise even if she mess a little so will Asada, there is no way the russians or americans will outscore them
    Russians' PCS are neck and neck with Kim's already.
    They have better spins.
    Kim will have to skate the best she has ever done to come out on top. If you don't believe this, go look at European. Even a clean Kostner doing similar jumps are 2 points behind.

Custard Title
    I hope you are right but unlike last year when a Patrick Chan could skate a splatfest and still win Worlds, now Suzuki beats Asada in JAPAN, Carolina skates a pretty decent program and is only 3rd and Ashley loses to a very junior looking Polina. Not saying anyone was robbed but it seems lately a pattern MIGHT be emerging with how the judges are viewing the veterans lately and nothing can be taken for granted. YuNa is a bit of question mark because she has been mostly absent this season. But that is my point; she hasn't been on any international ice surface since early November and things may have changed since then.
    Suzuki beat a heavily underperforming Asada in the LP. Ditto for Polina except Ashley underperformed in the SP as well. Carolina has been more or less out of the picture since CoR. The only "pattern" you're seeing is seeing veterans getting beaten when they skate poorly.

Custom Title
    If Yu Na hits her 3-3s (and she almost always does) she will win. In fact, she will probably win even if she misses the 3-3 in the short program. But with both 3-3s, she can make at least 2 non-fall mistakes and still win. A fall at the Olympics, especially in the long program, would be more problematic if this were not being judged under COP. But as we have seen with Patrick a fall is not fatal to a gold medal anymore, even if competitors skate clean.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast