Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Five Favorites for Olympic Gold in Women's Figure Skating at Sochi 2014

CarneAsada

Medalist
that's why i said last year.. that once again yuna needs to be clean/perfect in order to win.. if others do well and yuna doesn't.. she will not win.. 2010, 2011 worlds come to mind.. the judges will not hesitate not to give her the title..
I'd sort of agree that she needs to be clean, except using those Worlds as examples is silly. Yuna had a total of 5 major mistakes at Worlds 2010 and still placed a mere 6 points behind a clean (questionable downgrades notwithstanding) Mao. In 2011 Yuna was placed above a clean Miki in the SP despite stepping out of a Lutz and executing no footwork before it, and she nearly won the LP despite completely popping her 3Flip and having a 3S-1T combination.

Well, if Yuna makes some errors and one of the other top ladies goes clean, then the other skater probably deserves to win. It's about who does it that particular night. My only issue is that when they all make some mistakes, look at Kostner in past years. The judges would be like "oh, she fell? it's ok :)!" but if someone like Yuna makes a mistake, her score starts plummeting to really under-scored territory.
Under-scored territory with one mistake? Have you seen the scoring of her LPs at 2009 or 2010 Worlds? 2009 she had a 2S< and a spin worth 0 points, 2010 she fell and waltzed; both times she still broke 130 in an era that was much stingier with GOE and PCS. When clean, she does get a "clean bonus" that doesn't get applied to her flawed performances, but she is hardly a chronically underscored competitor.

cooper

Medalist
I'd sort of agree that she needs to be clean, except using those Worlds as examples is silly. Yuna had a total of 5 major mistakes at Worlds 2010 and still placed a mere 6 points behind a clean (questionable downgrades notwithstanding) Mao. In 2011 Yuna was placed above a clean Miki in the SP despite stepping out of a Lutz and executing no footwork before it, and she nearly won the LP despite completely popping her 3Flip and having a 3S-1T combination.

you can argue w/ the scores.. but it doesn't matter because she did not win..
she doesn't have the fed to back her up when all the politicking to give her the title all the time when making mistakes.. even other skaters who falls can still win but yuna cannot afford that...

Elaine

On the Ice
Do you mean seriously you see a clean Sotnikova ahead of CLEAN Kim, CLEANLipnitskaia and CLEAN Asada?
Maybe Lipnitskaia, but I'm not sure about the other two.
If you mean the case Adelina goes clean and others don't, yes, possible.

CarneAsada

Medalist
you can argue w/ the scores.. but it doesn't matter because she did not win..
she doesn't have the fed to back her up when all the politicking to give her the title all the time when making mistakes.. even other skaters who falls can still win but yuna cannot afford that...
She didn't win those times because she made enough mistakes to lose the title. Can you seriously see Mao or Carolina or Julia or Gracie winning a Worlds or Olympic title with 5 major, visible errors? Or even 3. They can get propped up at Nationals or home GP circuit competitions, but they cannot get propped up to victory in a major competition with a field that is anything better than pathetic.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Don´t forget Sotnikova. I see a clean Sotnikova ahead of of Kim, Lipnitskaia and Asada.

sure judges love her and inflate her PCS
but Adelina getting a clean FS is an oxymoron because how likely is that going to happen?
right its not going to happen !

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Julia's flutzes were dinged here in both SP and LP. 3 edge calls total.
In CoR 2 months ago, she wasn't called once.

You know she won't be called in Sochi. You can bet your house on it. Add 3 points to her total score for just the edge call alone. 212!!!!!

I see her as the odd on favorite for Gold now. Really scary! Score can be manipulated until the desired result comes out. This is why this sport is over.

Ven

Match Penalty
It's unfortunate there are over 2,500 posts floating around in the archives like that one.

yuki90

On the Ice
Julia's flutzes were dinged here in both SP and LP. 3 edge calls total.
In CoR 2 months ago, she wasn't called once.

You know she won't be called in Sochi. You can bet your house on it. Add 3 points to her total score for just the edge call alone. 212!!!!!

I see her as the odd on favorite for Gold now. Really scary! Score can be manipulated until the desired result comes out. This is why this sport is over.

I agree, I cant believe Russian girls recieved that much PCS.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The only positive outcome is some bots will self-destruct when certain skater loses. I'm loving it already.

cooper

Medalist
The only positive outcome is some bots will self-destruct when certain skater loses. I'm loving it already.

actually im a yuna bot.. but i'm not gonna self destruct.. after all yuna already won her ogm with 2 world titles under her belt... :cool: and after sochi.. i will :popcorn: @ the russians and the americans battling each other..

YunaBliss

On the Ice

Yes, good-bye Caro-bots who claim Bolero as the greatest masterpiece in the history of figure skating. Also good-bye to Akiko worshippers.

Now, let the real competition begin!! If Russia wants Yuna, she will give it to them. :p

FlattFan

Match Penalty
actually im a yuna bot.. but i'm not gonna self destruct.. after all yuna already won her ogm with 2 world titles under her belt... :cool: and after sochi.. i will :popcorn: @ the russians and the americans battling each other..

whatever firmware you're running on, share with the rest of them.
americans aren't battling with the russians. russians are battling themselves for the podium. hurray figure skating. this is the best lady skating ever, so good it will redefine the lutz.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yes, good-bye Caro-bots who claim Bolero as the greatest masterpiece in the history of figure skating. Also good-bye to Akiko worshippers.

Now, let the real competition begin!! If Russia wants Yuna, she will give it to them. :p

Yeah, you tell them, hunty!
I'm checking out and watch the firework.

cooper

Medalist
whatever firmware you're running on, share with the rest of them.
americans aren't battling with the russians. russians are battling themselves for the podium. hurray figure skating. this is the best lady skating ever, so good it will redefine the lutz.

don't worry the bots will get over it.. besides majority of them are not really figure skating fans that's why they will move on..

as for the russians.. well.. let them reign.. for all i care... lol.. i just can't wait to see how the americans will swallow the impending russian dominance.. :popcorn:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
i just can't wait to see how the americans will swallow the impending russian dominance.. :popcorn:

Don't hold your breath. Starting next year, figure skating and curling can battle each other for the 2am slot on a low rate sport channel.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Well I thought her Bolero was an entertaining program. The part where she wiggles her hips and blows a kiss to the camera is one of my favorites, and the footwork is great. Unfortunately her reworked, safer finale with the spin offends me, mainly because she has cut out all signs of unusual daring or unnecessary risks from her program.

Krislite

Medalist

If that's your only consolation, you're very likely to be disappointed. Even 212 is still beatable by at least one skater if she's clean.

yuki90

On the Ice
If that's your only consolation, you're very likely to be disappointed. Even 212 is still beatable by at least one skater if she's clean.
Yes and YuNa is already the Olympic Champion with World record :)
Flattfan will be the one who is very likely to be disappointed and self destruct when YuNa retains her title at Sochi. :)