Who else thinks there should be an off day between SP and FS at Olympics? | Golden Skate

Who else thinks there should be an off day between SP and FS at Olympics?

Ven

Match Penalty
Who else thinks there should be an off day between SP and FS at Olympics?

I am disappointed with the schedule at this year's Olympics. The SP and FS in both men's and ladies are back-to-back nights.

Personally, I think it's better for the sport to have an off day in between, and space out the exposure. This is how it was at Vancouver last time.

Was it meant as a competitive advantage for the younger Russian girls on home ice vs. their veteran counterparts?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
They had to make room for the team event, which they still didn't fit into the two week window. This wasn't a conspiracy by the evil Russians.

Ven

Match Penalty
They had to make room for the team event, which they still didn't fit into the two week window. This wasn't a conspiracy by the evil Russians.

lol it was a bit of a joke

But, the serious part was I think it's better for the sport to prolong the events, no?

wallylutz

Medalist
I can't remember what it was like back in Vancouver since this was 4 years ago. The fact Compulsory Dance has been eliminated and Team Event added means that the rest of the events will necessary have to have to be bunched closer together. In addition, Figure Skating needs to share the venue with other sports, it could simply be a question of logistic, scheduling and venue sharing.

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't see any problems with it. I like it back to back. I think having one more extra day would give skaters too much to think about. Plus figure skating isn't so physcial so they don't really need an extra day in between.

guanchi

On the Ice
They need to get this over as quickly as possible before the ice melts in tropical Sochi.

emma

Record Breaker
They need to get this over as quickly as possible before the ice melts in tropical Sochi.

I don't know why this cracked me up...

Actually, I was really surprised by the schedule. I think this is going to be quite an adjustment for the skaters; the team event is new and skating back/to back like this is not very common as far as I know. Not saying competitors can't learn to do this and do it well, I'm just feeling for those who are not at all used to this and have to still rise to the occasion. Plus, I'm worried about my ability to keep up with it all!

guanchi

On the Ice
I don't know why this cracked me up...

Actually, I was really surprised by the schedule. I think this is going to be quite an adjustment for the skaters; the team event is new and skating back/to back like this is not very common as far as I know. Not saying competitors can't learn to do this and do it well, I'm just feeling for those who are not at all used to this and have to still rise to the occasion. Plus, I'm worried about my ability to keep up with it all!

Plus, wouldn't it be helpful for their LP to have a full day of practice, not to mention a day of recovery from the short. It just feels rushed, as if it's just another event (tho to be fair, FS is not a marquee event in many countries). Most likely in sochi, it'll be hockey.

pista04

On the Ice
I am surprised that no one has mentioned that, even with the team event and the need to push together events, there is still a way to space it out to accomodate a break. Why not have Men's SP, then next evening Ladies SP and then the next day the Men's LP? That makes more sense to me.