Men SP - 2014 European Championships | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2014 European Championships

Lota

Record Breaker
To those who understand Russian: Do the commentators sound "politically" pro- or contra Kovtun? Or do they stay clear of that touchy subject?
Too bad about the 2T... Funny that given the current rules, a 2T was better than a 3T! :laugh:
(I love this international forum!)

While people here are talking about various conspiracy theories, the commentators just want russians to do well and at least in their commentary I can't hear anything that concerns politics :)
They were just sad about his mistake.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
While people here are talking about various conspiracy theories, the commentators just want russians to do well and at least in their commentary I can't hear anything that concerns politics :)
They were just sad about his mistake.
I'm glad they do. I just thought that esp Vasiliev might be "in on something we don't know", so I was curious... Didn't want to accuse anyone of anything.

Frenchie

Medalist
...encouraged because I feel Plushenko would believe that he would be in 1st or 2nd place.

you're certainly right, but to be fair, Plushenko also really believes he won a platinum medal in Vancouver... :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh! What the heck? And here I was thinking "at last they let me watch the Two Steps montage" - and then they go and interrupt it! Honestly!

Let me turn the table on you. How do you justify a higher PCS for Kovtun or a lower PCS for Fernandez than what's been given here?

Kovtun's SS are a bit better.
Fernadez has more TR.
Kovtun has better posture, better lines, he showed fantastic energy and commitment to all of his movements, finishing them off well and they were all in character of the music. I'd give him an edge on PE.
CH was similar. Fernandez's was arguably better, more balanced element layout.
IN - Both did quite well but again looking at style and character appropriate to the music Kovtun was just perfect and right on the beat and highlights. I'd give him a bit of an edge.

Frenchie

Medalist
Since both Kovtun and Fernandez have gotten higher PCS than Tomas Verner, I'd say the distribution of PCS isn't all that accurate.
Unless "having been inconsistent in the past" has officially been added as a criteria to the PCS handbook. (we know in reality it is taken into account!)

EDIT: What I'm most unhappy with is the Skating Skills mark:
Javier FERNANDEZ 8.39
Maxim KOVTUN 8.21
Tomas VERNER 8.18
CH and IN was really strong for Fernandez and Kovtun, albeit in completely different directions (funny for Fernandez, latin for Kovtun), but the Skating Skills of Tomas Verner are imo on another level. Fernandez has improved a lot over the years, but SS imo really remains his weakness.
Anyway... I already stated that I believe for most judges, the 5 PCS scores are just 5 boxes where you're supposed to enter the same mark :rolleye:
I don't lose hope though.

Since both Kovtun and Fernandez have gotten higher PCS than Tomas Verner, I'd say the distribution of PCS isn't all that accurate.
Unless "having been inconsistent in the past" has officially been added as a criteria to the PCS handbook. (we know in reality it is taken into account!)

Verner definitely had the best SS, at least. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I just acme back from dinner
so Kovtun bombed again ? I bet he popped a quad or doubled it

Florentina

On the Ice
Wow I enjoyed these men's SPs, though I have to admit I only saw every third or so. And watching figure skating or listening to commentary makes me extremely productive. Since the start of US Nationals I wrote down over 8,000 words for my two paper. :D

Frenchie

Medalist
you're certainly right, but to be fair, Plushenko also really believes he won a platinum medal in Vancouver...
No he doesn't. Never did. This isn't funny, it's just stupid.
If you don't allow me to make a joke, then check your sources my friend. ;)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/evgeni-plushenkos-platinu_n_472590.html
His official website shows him wearing an Olympic medal, and reads "Silver of Salt Lake, Gold of Torino, Platinum of Vancouver."
It has been taken down since, but not exactly in a timeframe that would suggest "he called the plushy's-official-fansite-guy-responsible-of-doing-stuff-plushy-doesn't-approve-of" and told him to take that down immediately... :slink:
I don't think he's always been the most level headed in terms of public relations. But that's only my opinion.

Frenchie

Medalist
Verner definitely had the best SS, at least. :)
I knew I'd have had to be quicker when editing my post before you'd point that out!!! I agree and was genuinely editing this when you posted your reply ;)

EDIT: What I'm most unhappy with is the Skating Skills mark:
Javier FERNANDEZ 8.39
Maxim KOVTUN 8.21
Tomas VERNER 8.18
CH and IN was really strong for Fernandez and Kovtun, albeit in completely different directions (funny for Fernandez, latin for Kovtun), but the Skating Skills of Tomas Verner are imo on another level. Fernandez has improved a lot over the years, but SS imo really remains his weakness.
Anyway... I already stated that I believe for most judges, the 5 PCS scores are just 5 boxes where you're supposed to enter the same mark
I don't lose hope though.