Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Ice Dance FD - 2014 European Championships

Custom Title
    Sinitsina & Zhiganshin

Speed is definitely one of their weapons, sure if you have great skating skills you can achieve speed even with difficult choreo. I can’t avoid with comparison with Ilinykh & Katsalapov, both couples have great skating skills, but Averbukh and Kustarova decided to take a risk and make a choreo not only with difficult lifts, but also difficult step sequences and difficult steps in between. While Lena and Nikita are getting slower and slower at the end, Victoria and Ruslan are keeping the speed. While during step sequence Lena is waiting and Nikita is turning and then Nikita is waiting and Lena turning…both Victoria and Ruslan can turn in one moment. So we have another team who can keep the speed and still skate difficult steps. Both couples are struggling with lifts…while Nikita is looking like weightlifter in every moment, Ruslan looks like he needs to spend more time in gym. Technically there were some things – Ruslan had two shaky moments in first step sequence and stumbled in the second step sequence. Victoria was technically stronger this time.

What I like so much about the couple is their connection to music and story both in slow part and fast parts. I will compare again to Lena and Nikita. We have two couples who came with story of two people who have a romantic relationship between, both couples try to show how desperately in love they are. But how much different it is…Lena stops and looks to judges, send them kiss, then she looks to Nikita, during whole love part she changed looking at Nikita and judges…Victoria and Ruslan are looking at each other for the whole part, they make gestures towards each other, Ruslan is more passionate lover in that part and Vika is a tender one, it makes a feeling that nothing else and nobody alse exist just that feeling between the couple in the story…no posing for judges, no sexy facial expression taken from Vogue magazine…just dancing, creating the story and full connection to music. I don’t agree with Morozov’s idea that expressing deep emotions between two people means that you include judges in that love and show your back part to a partner who you love.
    Overall Victoria and Ruslan’s love part is much emotional and better executed both in choreo and interpretation. And final culmination of Viki and Ruslan‘s dance was impressive.

Custom Title
    Coomes & Buckland

So much difficult and acrobatic lifts. But I would like to see Nicolas doing lifts with Riazanova, I would be curious to see how he would deal with it. The couple is technically weaker then all Russians and Cappellini. And I must say that instead of learning them ice dancing Platov prefer more easy way and creates a choreo which reminds pair skating so much. That is really not how I imagine ice dancing. And of course with no steps in dancing holds and positions skating and concentrating for all elements become easier. Still I liked the presentation of the first part, movements were sharp enough to match the music, but in the second part they became just performing elements and the third part showed a tiredness – music was sharp again, but their movements were slower.

I read about Nicolas‘ healthy problems, I admire and respect that even with such disadvantage he is able to skate and perform at such top competitions. He is a fighter!

Custom Title
    Riazanova & Tkachenko

They have good basics and skating skills. They are not slow, but their skating heavy, which makes it look like slow skating. Katya is a sexy woman and Ilia is a modest man. Christine is fragile and tender, Phantom is demonic and passionate. So the couple is totally on different side od the planet to such characters, and because they are not so great dancers they can‘t express such characters. I think that choreo is not expressing the story and music as well. In the highlight of music, they are doing so acrobatic lift and overall whole skating is an athletic performance. Katya made a mistake in twizzles but even without it I would be fully for keeping Sinitsina & Zhiganshin ahead of them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Elena is fragile in many respects, both physically and psychologically. Zhulin said this from the beginning.
    I don’t think that Lena would be so fragile…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuKntAaSp-c
    …during document with Lena and Nikita in 2011…Zhulin describes the difference between Lena and Nikita, a different approach to them at practise, while Nikita skates better when he (Zhulin) blesses and compliments him, the same approach to Lena will provoke that she starts to think that she is already a star, that she needs a coach who will be tough to her…and Nikita notices that somebody needs a scourge.

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11280.html
    …this is an article from 5th of September, where Lena describes one moment in practise:
    She is asked whether is it interesting to work on programs… “There was a very funny episode (smiling). We worked on one part of the program…Kolya wanted to do a little jump there… and I dreamed that it is essential to do a jump in gymnastic split to that accent in music. And I proposed that, but both Kolya and Nikita answered that it would be very difficult, and that the element goes with that part of music well. And I cryed heartbreakely and sobbed on the ice, I screamed that I would not skate at all if we didn’t make a jump in split. In result they laught, spit at all and agreed with me. So the jump in split stayed.“
    …I don’t remeber such element in their skate, so they probably put it out finally.

Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Stavisky let it slip also this year that in their first season with Zhulin Nikita's back was always in pain but we forget that.
    Nikita had some back problems in summer 2010, but you know, every skater has some health problems from time to time, every top-level sport is so demanding that nobody stays without any injuries. As I know Nikita had a rest for recovery during that summer 2010, so there was at least an attempt to keep him healthy…and don’t forget, he was not a grown-up yet, body and muscles are not so strong in juniorish age…and their troubles in lifts were known very well, they were never strong in lifts which may also mean that practising that element leaded to injuries not because of Zhulin or Stavitski but because Lena and Nikita were not very “talented“ in it. Even this season Nikita mentioned in interview that Lena did many scars on his body thanks to new lifts. And how about Nicolas Buckland, his health problems are definitely more serious… http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25102577

Oh dear, I didn't know that Buckland suffered from such heart condition!!!!

Custom Title
    Oh my me loves C/B they have MJ down pat. What was Marina thinking giving MJ to the Shibs? C/B own them, no matter how they do at OLYMPICS. I can watch that program over and over. Wow.

Custom Title
    I am allright with the result.
    The really worrying fact is that it was nothing really impressive or "wow" or remarkable in this competition.

In 1984 Euro here in Budapest we had Torvill/Dean dancing Bolero before the Olympic, and Bestemianova/Bukin with an interesting Programme.

In 2004 Euro here in Budapest we had Navka/Kostomarov with the Pink Panther programme, which remained to be their best programme in their entire carrier and also the great Denkova/Staviski, whose "push-down" havily started here in Budapest in the favour of Navka/Kostomarov until the Olympics (and than suddenly they got the WorldChampion title in the very same year than the Oly).

And in 2014.?? Nothing.... Similar, boring Programmes with Better or worse technique of the different couples. But that was that. No goose-bump, no chill.
    The bad thing is, we have been able to see the future and it doesn't really seems to be shining. Maybe the only exception is Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, I can see the "lion-nails" on them.

So, ladies and gentlemen it is time not to discuss but ENJOY Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Weaver/ Poje and Pechalat/Bourzat as long as we can, because it seems a LOOOONG pause will come soon....
    I'm worried about it, and -of course- it will give more space for politicking more again, when the obvious, undisputable quality doesn't exist-. Scary.

Dear Judges!
    Stop to give high PC marks to mediocre couples, because than there is no room to indicate real differencies in the top.

If all these really mediocre couples get 7s, iof course the much better one starts all to get 9s.
    It is NOT allright that all the top teams gets 9s. There are bigger differencies between them.
    If Ilinikh/Katdalapov gets 9s Davis/White, Virtue/Moir MUST get 11,5, which is not possible.
    If they got these 9s, a year later they will get 10 for the next 3-4 years? And what about the others with develpoing great techniques (like Weaver/Poje, Chock/Bates,Hubbell/Zachary, Poirer, Shibutanis , Sinitsina/Zhigalin etc????)

Custom Title
    W/p are leaving? They can dominate the whole next quad with their main competitors being chock and bates and c/l.

FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - Updated

1. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 171.61 Free Dance, 2nd Copy 3rd Copy
    2. Elena ILINYKH/Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 170.51 FD, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
    3. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 158.69 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    4. Victoria SINITSINA/Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (RUS) - 153.73 FD, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
    5. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA/Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 150.44 FD, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
    6. Julia ZLOBINA / Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 147.78 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    7. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 145.37 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    8. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 144.40 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    9. Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS (LTU) - 142.31 Free Dance, 2nd copy, 3rd Copy
    10. Sara HURTADO/Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 137.58 FD, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
    11. Tanja KOLBE / Stefano CARUSO (GER) - 137.46 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    12. Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY (SVK) - 136.63 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    13. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 135.29 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    14. Irina SHTORK / Taavi RAND (EST) - 131.66 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    15. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) - 131.57 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    16. Justyna PLUTOWSKA / Peter GERBER (POL) - 128.08 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    17. Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR (TUR) - 127.96 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    18. Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN (DEN) - 127.51 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
    19. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI / Simone VATURI (ITA) - 121.65 Free Dance
    20. Henna LINDHOLM / Ossi KANERVO (FIN) - 121.09 Free Dance

Medal Ceremony (2nd Copy), Complete Free Dance

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    And in 2014.?? Nothing.... Similar, boring Programmes with Better or worse technique of the different couples. But that was that. No goose-bump, no chill.
    The bad thing is, we have been able to see the future and it doesn't really seems to be shining. Maybe the only exception is Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, I can see the "lion-nails" on them.[/B]
    I suggest you go and watch Hurtado/Diaz's FD. They are not (yet?) a top team, but their Picasso program is gorgeous and deservedly propelled them to their first top-ten finish, even with the mistake. It's my favorite FD of the season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I loved Hurtado/Dias's Surviving Picasso!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    W/p are leaving? They can dominate the whole next quad with their main competitors being chock and bates and c/l.
    C/L are older than anyone else in the field but P/B (among the top teams). What makes people think they will stick around for another quad? Honestly, I just assumed they're retiring after this season, are they not? But yeah, W/P could win some medals in the next quad, however I can see them quickly overcome by younger teams with better technical skills. Kaitlyn's skating skills are still pretty rough.

I actually loved Furnier-Beaudry/Sorensen's FD, so if anyone enjoyed Hurtado/Diaz, take a look at this other Dubreuil/Lauzon's masterpiece. I actually think D/L choreograph better dances than they performed as skaters.

Columnist
    I honestly enjoyed the ice dance competition.

It was just so had that Hanna and Ossi finished last and Ekaterina didnt medal :(

Quite many mistakes however during the whole comp by loads of Paris.

And i still think the SD needs an overhaul, its an outdated Format.

Custom Title
    Hurtado & Diaz

While many couples uses very well-known music which will play on audience and make people clap even with not so good performance, the young couple comes with music which makes a questions in audiences heads – why they chose it when it is not helping to catch the audience with music only? Why they chose it when it is difficult to express it? Without some beautiful melody, instead of it – it creates a dark atmosphere, it is full of tension but still very powerful…simply it is difficult to express such music, to be as strong as the music is, to create such atmosphere. And they did…they did it very well. The couple was always struggling with technical side of programs, they had falls in past, even this time. I can see that their technique improved since past years, but they still need to work on their basic skating to make themselfs more comfortable on the ice and get deeper edges. Sara feels the music very well, the couple can create a drama on the ice. From time to time I didn‘t like Sara’s work with hands – wrist and fingers, sometimes she can make very nice position of hand and fingers which catch the audience’s eye, while in some other moments she looks to forget about it…a movement needs all work of arm, elbow, wrist and fingers …and if it all comes together…then it will be a beautiful movement. It is a pity that he fell. This couple is another nice example of ice dancers who can dance, not only perform elements. What I like about them as well (the same I like about Sin&Zhig) is a fact that the couple lives with their music, puts everything into expressing it, they are not playing that “posing and smiling at judges“ game.
    They definitely belong into top 10 at European Championships.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    I actually loved Furnier-Beaudry/Sorensen's FD, so if anyone enjoyed Hurtado/Diaz, take a look at this other Dubreuil/Lauzon's masterpiece. I actually think D/L choreograph better dances than they performed as skaters.
    H/D's ISU bio lists David Wilson and Ginette Counoyer as their choreographers. You can certainly see Dubreuil/Lauzon's influence in their skating, however.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15