Am I Too Old? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Am I Too Old?

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: too old?

GirlWithTheHeadphones - It is never too late to begin a sport, learn everything you can about it, strive to constantly improve, and enjoy the heck out of it.

If you are looking for something that is fun to do, frustrating as heck, and a lot harder than good athletes make it look, skating is just the thing. Anyone can do it, no matter how tall or how old, if they want to. Just be sure you are ready to catch a fever that will leave you passionate for life!

Having said that, whether or not you ultimately compete is really up to you. I've been off the ice for 30 years (having only been "on" from ages 7-14), and at the age of 45 I am working really hard to get in the groove and be able to compete in my Level III age group. I am determined to do so. Will I ever reach the Olympics? No. Will I make it to Adult Nationals? Quite possibly. Are there other competitions for me? Most assuredly. Will I have an awesome time and keep in shape? Most definitely!!!

You are only 18. If you are going to start limiting yourself only to sports where you can be an "elite" competitor, you are going to be sitting around on the sidelines for most of your adult life. Get off the bench and get out there!