Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching?? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching??

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've gotten to the point that any time I see any of Asha's work it's nails on a blackboard. That dashiki looks like someone cut a hole in grandma's tablecloth. "Hippie superhero" is bang on Beyond hideous. And she is equally annoying to me. I realize Natalia is a bit of a basketcase (and her construction is horrendous), but yes she did go out with class. Loved Shan's overall/short, which I thought was genius.

Mondo keeps dressing like a teenager. It's fine when you're in your early 20's, but over thirty it just looks desperate. Seth Aaron has the same issue--he's over 40 and trying to look like a punky teen. Like I said, it doesn't look fashionable; it looks self-delusional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay Olympia posted....missed your posts.

WeakAnkles, I agree with your assessment on Asha...actually I thought Asha & Natalia should have both gone home.

Olympia, I agree with your assessment on Mondo and the little boy shorts. Why do you think some of the designers get goofy? I think their work (designs) should show their individuality not them.

Remember the guy who came back to be a judge either on this show or PR and he looked as I think WA said.....ran away from the asylum. :laugh:

Yeah, some of the guys especially seem to go so over the top with their look. It's kind of ironic that one of the worst things the judges can call an outfit is "costumey," and yet these designers gussy themselves up like someone riding on a Mardi Gras float. It's so distracting, and it takes away from the beauty of their design entries as well.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope that Shan isn't in too much trouble tonight. The previews show his model has an allergic reaction to the rhinestones or something in the design. Shan has to make a dress in an hour. Don't go home Shan.......I would love to see a collection!!!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you going to try and watch Olympia....I don't want to say anything if you are...do try I thought it was a good show. I think the judges are very strange....RR headband was a little much...that's all I'm going to say. Uhhhhhh for right now anyway. :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
I like Shan, too.

For some reason, I'm not into this show as much as PR. I think it's because it's 2 competitions - mentors and designers. The mentors are obviously already known by PR fans. While they don't dominate show, they do take time away from the designers... I still don't feel like I know the designer very well - Oscar and Shan are the only stand outs for me.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I watched the last episode and I love that the company sponsoring the event--Benefit Cosmetics--admitted that they started their company with a burlesque dancer as a customer. LOLOL! I'm all for truth in advertising!

Really, this will probably come down to Shan and Oscar (with, ugh, Asha, as the third finalist). Oscar will be told his designs are too "old" and Shan will win it. That's the feeling I'm getting. Sam's the next to go. Unless my crystal ball is cloudy. ;)

An ok challenge. I admire Shan's resourcefulness and Anya did a very good mentoring job in this case. I actually loved the giant polka dot fabric--and it didn't overwhelm the client at all. I have to laugh every time Asha throws out another badly fit mess of a garment. They keep talking about her creativity and plethora of ideas. I'm still waiting to see it myself, but okay....

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you agree with who is going to show their collections??? Hmmmm???

Did Shan make a top for Anya??? Wasn't that the same material he used for his dress??

Did you like Sam's design??

Wow, this week RR had on a turban.

I am excited to see their collections.

Do you agree with who is going to show their collections??? Hmmmm???

Did Shan make a top for Anya??? Wasn't that the same material he used for his dress??

Did you like Sam's design??

Wow, this week RR had on a turban.

I am excited to see their collections.

I have but to sit down to watch this, and someone calls up and wants to talk for an hour. I missed the outcome of the show from last week (rerun before this one started) and most of the prep time for this show. I like Shan and Oscar best, as I have all along. An interesting premise, using a superhero as the basis for a design challenge but wanting it to be a wearable garment.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I thought RR looked smokin' hot with the turban.

It's so totally down to Oscar and Shan, unless one of them does a Daniel Vosevic or Emilio and sends out a snoozefest of a collection.

Frankly the other two could go home as far as I'm concerned. Sam can have a successful career designing textiles and Asha can learn how to sew (and not be such a b*tch).

Looking forward to seeing Heidi's reactions to them next week.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought RR looked smokin' hot with the turban.

Are you funnin with me????

WA said:
Asha can learn how to sew (and not be such a b*tch)

:laugh: :laugh:

WA said:
Looking forward to seeing Heidi's reactions to them next week.

I actually think Heidi may choose Sam for the winner!!!! I hope it's either Shan or Oscar, they're both great at construction. Can you tell me how does a zipper fall out of a garment you just made??? Is that the new way, sew without any thread???? :laugh: I bet she glued it...whatcha think???

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did you think of the finale??? Are you OK with the winner??

What did you think of the finale??? Are you OK with the winner??

I'm just watching it now. I'm excited.

ETA: I watched. I'm happy with the choice of winner, and with the mentor who won. Tell me when we can go into detail without spoiling it for other viewers, and I'll say more.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not yet please! Waiting for it to post online so I can watch it. If Asha wins I may fly to LA and rip apart her collection seam by seam. Give the way it's constructed that shouldn't take long. :p

Dee, well the turban on tv looked silly--we're talking Gloria Swanson at the end of Sunset Blvd level of silly--but in the right setting yes, I think RR would look beautiful in it.

Hmm, given Olympia's happiness with the selection, I'd say Shan or Oscar won. If Oscar does, then the whole Nick can't mentor storyline has a very Lifetime Happily Ever After Ending. If Shan does, then Anya still has Favored Child No Matter How Little She Does status. And if Sam wins, I'm going to throw a soft pillow at the screen. :)

ETA: This is a bit OT, but still clothes-related. I just thought y'all would find it amusing. It's a site which documents Recycled Movie Costumes.:
http://www.recycledmoviecostumes.com/

Great link, Ankles! Lots of fun to track the costumes.

Tell us when you're ready to talk about the Tim Gunn results.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I just finished watching it, and Lordy, there is plenty to say. But I am very curious to hear YOUR opinions. I'll just say two things for now: the right person won and NPH was a much better judge than the usual has-nothing-to-do-with-fashion celebrity they rope in for the finale.

Wasn't that recycled site interesting? I am a HUGE Jane Austen nut, and to see how some of the costumes from various productions were used up to seven and eight times in other productions...well talk about bang for your buck. Then again, I once dated a assistant Broadway costume designer who showed me ONE coat for a production. Which cost (back in the early 90s no less), close to $6000 to make. Those authentic antique fabrics ain't cheap, so I don't blame producers for recycling where and when they can.

Let it rip, guys. Very curious to hear your take on UtG.

I have a soft spot for Nick for several reasons. He's been a part of the show for a long time, making occasional guest appearances. He is himself a teacher and obviously takes that job seriously. Yes, this mindset hampered him as a mentor because he tended to take over a bit too much for his protegés, but this was a new experience for him, and it took him a while to get onto the right wavelength. I also like that he wore a suit every week, which I think showed his respect for Tim and for the task he had been chosen for. I think Mondo is wonderfully articulate and has done well as both a judge and a mentor, but those short short shorts were the visual equivalent for me of an adult talking baby talk. Anyway, so many people seemed to be down on Nick that I'm happy to see his outcome in the end. I don't think he's the most brilliant person in the world, but there's an essential decency about him that makes me happy to see him do well.

As for Oscar, yippee! He has such wonderful construction skills that I'm thrilled to see him win. Shan would have pleased me as well for much the same reason. Just about the only people I've supported through all the PR shows who haven't had construction skills were Anya herself and Ulli, and their design sense was so extraordinary that I made an exception. If someone's going to work in this business, though, he or she ought to have basic competence in techniques, just as skaters ought to in their field. This is one reason I so admired Christian Siriano, perhaps my favorite winner ever. At the beginning of this season, Oscar seemed to be too too overdone in his style, but he figured things out pretty quickly and managed to come up with inventive garments that were beautifully made.

I too was glad to see Neil Patrick Harris. I'm happy whenever he turns up. He always seems to be the right man for the job, whatever the job involves--singing, dancing, hosting, comedy, some pretty good dramas, romantic fare, judging. And he seems so nice, as well.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I liked Shan, Oscar & even Sam's collection. What was with Asha collection?? The comment ...you've gone to the next level Asha, really???@@#$ If I were her sister, being Asha's muse, I think I would have hidden somewhere.

When I saw NPH, I thought.... why??? But.............and I have a big but....oh didn't mean it that way :laugh: His commentary was right on.

I loved it when the judges said...so what is the criteria for judging??? Really judges...you've come this far and still don't know. If it wasn't for NPH and Heidi, I wonder if the outcome would have been different???

I thought Shan's collection was good, it was different. Do you think it was Shan??

I did like Sam's collection but not for the finale.

I am glad that Oscar won, for a couple of seconds there I thought it could be Asha or Sam.

Any comments on Mondo's outfit??? I thought it looked a little Amish!!! I agree about the short pants Olympia.