Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching??

louisa05

Final Flight
I think it was sent home because of all the looks it would photograph the worst. And the construction did look rather slapped together.

I think the photo spread in Marie Claire was the deciding factor in the win and loss, not any actual red carpet potential. They could have just been honest about that. And I doubt we'll see the winning design on a red carpet unless it is an obscure movie premiere or the no-one-has-heard-of-it-or-cares awards.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want a recording of Tim shouting "No! No! No! NO!" I think it could come in handy.
What!! Hmmmmm :rolleye:

What do y'all think of the judges? The curly haired one is trying too hard to be The New Duchess, but I always thought Rachel Roy was a good judge with interesting things to say.

The curly haired one, Jen Rade, got a little on my nerves. She looked at Rachel Roy and said "no" about something.

Here's a question for you.... Would you listen to a designer or a stylist opinion to make a decision??? I know this poll will be huge.

heyang

Record Breaker
Oh dear.

Oh my my.

So Mondo, what "certain red carpet event" is your winning designer's look ready for?

Mondo's looks have always strayed towards youth. There are a huge variety of red carpet events beyond the Oscars, Emmy's, etc. He was just correctly mentoring his proteges to not automatically think of the standard. Some of the looks perhaps geared to movie premiere, MTV awards, etc.

Based upon Anya's prior season and her turn judging, I always thought she'd be a good mentor. During her season, she comforted other contestants. SHe also has a very discerning eye and dresses well herself. Not having a strong background in sewing skills doesn't mean that she doesnt' recognize quality and she has a history of learning quickly. Does Tim Gunn sew or design clothing? Based upon various internet sources, he has a BFA in Sculpture and taught design and worked in Admissions at his Alma Mater before going to work in Admission at Parson's. Anyway, point is that strong sewing skills not needed to mentor.

http://www.biography.com/people/tim-gunn-594086

louisa05

Final Flight
Mondo's looks have always strayed towards youth. There are a huge variety of red carpet events beyond the Oscars, Emmy's, etc. He was just correctly mentoring his proteges to not automatically think of the standard. Some of the looks perhaps geared to movie premiere, MTV awards, etc.

Based upon Anya's prior season and her turn judging, I always thought she'd be a good mentor. During her season, she comforted other contestants. SHe also has a very discerning eye and dresses well herself. Not having a strong background in sewing skills doesn't mean that she doesnt' recognize quality and she has a history of learning quickly. Does Tim Gunn sew or design clothing? Based upon various internet sources, he has a BFA in Sculpture and taught design and worked in Admissions at his Alma Mater before going to work in Admission at Parson's. Anyway, point is that strong sewing skills not needed to mentor.

http://www.biography.com/people/tim-gunn-594086

He was associate dean at Parsons for 11 years then chair of the department of fashion design until he left after Project Runway took off (in 2007). He did not work in admissions. Even the source you linked does not indicate that.

Based upon Anya's prior season and her turn judging, I always thought she'd be a good mentor. During her season, she comforted other contestants. SHe also has a very discerning eye and dresses well herself. Not having a strong background in sewing skills doesn't mean that she doesnt' recognize quality and she has a history of learning quickly.

Great points about both mentors. Mondo's personality during his competing season didn't stand out to me (though his work did), but the minute he opened his mouth as a guest judge, I was a fan. He's so measured and articulate. And as you point out, Anya was always able to connect with people while she competed. She was able to excel without trash-talking or belittling anyone else or even seeming to be aggressively competitive. I think these two people are especially good choices for mentors. My mind's still not made up about Nick. His heart's in the right place, and he has teaching experience, but I don't think he's as intellectually flexible in different situations as the other two seem to be. I hope he's able to change his approach so that his team can get the utmost benefit from his knowledge. Maybe Tim and the producers can spend some time with him off-camera and give him some pointers, unless they want to keep this issue as a dramatic bone of contention through the series (something I hope they don't do).

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone posted this on a message board.

On Project Runway, Tim's tagline is "Make It Work!" But, on this show, it's "No! No! No!"

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Since I couldn't get a good watchable feed yesterday, I watched the next ep of Under the Gunn. I thought the designs were, on the whole, much better than the first challenge (Miss ChaCha GlamaPuss in particular upped his game considerably--and I thought Nick did a good job in restraining his tackier impulses). And I liked the winning dress.

Interesting that no one wanted to work with Nick and yet he still has all of HIS designers.

But the usual ridiculous tie-in (a vampire movie? really?) and for an unconventional materials challenge, the results were not particularly unconventional at all. Still, it was the best ep so far and the traumadrama is at manageable levels (at least so far...).

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lifetime had Under the Gun on today (Sunday morning) so I was able to get caught up on the two episodes I missed because of the Olympics.

Haven't we seen this design from Michelle a number of times. I do love the top though.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/under-the-gunn/season-1/rate-the-runway/episode-4#id=5

I loved seeing Zendaya..she seems to be very mature for her age. I love how she seems to care what her parents think...what respect.

Anyhow, I'm glad that Isabelle is gone. My question is....do you think Nick threw her under the bus???

I do not think Nick threw her under the bus. He criticized her for faults that she clearly has.

Everyone on the show had to know that Isabelle was paying no attention to the time limits or to Tim. The idea that she would say "I thought that Tim meant there were ten more minutes (or whatever) until we had to leave the studio, not ten minutes until we had to be on the runway" was ludicrous, because he specifically went in there and told her what the time limit meant. She had to know. Her extra time spent working on her clothing gave her an unfair advantage over the other designers.

Whatever Isabelle's talents as a designer, this is not someone who should have been on a show where time management is an important element. Moreover, she all but told Nick to shut up when he advised her. At the very least she was clueless about how to work with other people, which is a skill she'll need if she wants to be in this industry. If she wants to become one of those home artisans who makes all her own clothes in solitude and sells them at street fairs and on Etsy, one by one, then her temperament is no problem, but if she wants to take part in any larger enterprise, she has to learn how to observe certain conventions of behavior. She can't always have her own way.

I have liked Zendaya since her stint on Dancing with the Stars. She seems like a hugely talented, well brought up, modest young person, and I hope she will have a long and varied career. She's so poised and articulate for her age, isn't she? And of course she's built like a model, with that tall, trim figure. Like Taylor Swift, she can become a darling of the fashion scene as well as an enjoyable performer.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I've finally caught up on the last two eps and the first thing I thought about was this (spoiler alert for last night's ep):

This is what? the 348973rd season of Project Runway (it sure feels like it sometimes)? By this point, anyone who goes on the show should know that it is all about performing under severe time constraints. You can be Balenciaga, but you better be Balenciaga who can churn out a garment in a matter of hours. Nicholas absolutely deserved to go home. I was waiting for Anya to smack him upside the head, and he still didn't get it. It's an avant-garde challenge. Gluing some tubing to a conventional silhouette ain't gonna turn it avant-garde. Actually the top three were the only ones who approached avant-garde looks. Natalie has annoyed me so far, but I really would have given her the win--though just barely over Shan's. It was pretty close. And while I really love steampunk, it's hardly cutting-edge at this point. But it made for a good challenge.

Just wanted to add one thing about the Pompeii Team Challenge. I was shocked at how much I LOVED our Cuban Cha Cha Queen's look. Oscar turned out something that I really thought was one of the best garments I've seen in all of the seasons of PR--yes, all 348973 of them!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the unconventional challenges. I think they sent the right person home, the sad part is she loved her design. I think Anya is becoming a very good mentor. Mondo seems like he's finding his way towards mentoring, while Nick is just crazy...he just doesn't get it. The mentors should have a plan like 1-3 week, strong critique, 4-7 week yada, yada, and final weeks more yada, yada. I think Anya is doing that only she doesn't know it. Your thoughts??

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nick thinks he's teaching, not mentoring, though he has improved tremendously since Tim gave him a talking to (though I was hoping Tim would have told him No! No! NO!).

Sort of meh results from the beach challenge. I like Asha, but I'm getting really bored with the eternal bare midriff silhouette. It's becoming this season's Anya-caftan for me. Loved Sam's pineapple purse though. And his skirt. The top was a throwaway though.

On the whole though it's getting more interesting now that most of the chaff have been eliminated. I'm amazed Natalie is still there, still knitting away, still whining about Nick (when she should be grateful he saved her butt from elimination in the first rounds).

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting comments from Mondo and Anya. Mondo is getting a little on my nerves because he's kind of coming off as a little childish. I liked the fact they told the judges they didn't like their decision but then Mondo comes back with well............OK then.

I was a little surprised that everyone liked Oscar day time look. If someone wore that dress to work all the guys I worked with would have been circling that gals office. :laugh: :laugh: I liked the look, but not for the office.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I had to crack up at Anya (!) of all people talking about construction issues. I have one word for her: sleeves. Maybe by now she learned how to sew them. LOL! So much delicious fake drama--that whole thing screamed STAGED to me. And sorry, but I agreed with the judges. Michelle was boring. Blake was beyond hoochie Mama. Asha's looked like it was sewn in the dark. Now I'm not saying Natalia's was some great work, and her personality is beyond annoying (I wanted to reach through the screen at hug Sam when he dissed her 'crocodile tears'), but I agreed with the judges. And I still want to know if Anya ever learned how to set a sleeve!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I still want to know if Anya ever learned how to set a sleeve!

You cracked me up WeakAnkles (love your name). I think I'll change my name to BrokenToe or how about BigThrobbingBunion. :laugh: :laugh:

It's hard to sew a set in sleeve but I can do it....:party2:

I agreed with the judges as well...it's just that I thought the judges judged based on the current challenge not what happened weeks ago...I agree that Michelle's outfit was boring...I don't know what Mondo's comment was all about. He said I just wished the judges knew what she was doing....in my humble opinion what she did was make a boring dress.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonight should be interesting they're going to work in teams that always presents lots of drama.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh Dee, if it's drama you want...

My computer went into some strange mode where, after MircosoftIsHell's latest update, it wouldn't boot up but endlessly tried to repair itself then shut off. So I have spent the last three days having to reinstall the operating system, and 47 programs. Then I discovered that win8.1 now forces you to use their NoseDive --I mean SkyDrive--program to download ANY files, so I spent today learning how to change the registry to get rid of it. What MS doesn't tell you is it can examine every single file you download to NoseDive, and delete all of your downloaded files there any time they like. I was tempted to write to them and say, I'll do that when you let me have access to every single file Bill Gates downloads, but I was too busy trying to figure out how to change the registry without screwing it up! It's been educational.

On the other hand, every time I read BigThrobbingBunion, I absolutely crack up. I should have read it more when I was reinstalling the damn software!

One wonders if Microsoft refers in any way to Bill G's sex life...

I'm hoping to be able to have full computer access again with everything reinstalled say in 2017!

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally saw the last two episodes. The team challenge was the more interesting one, probably because I like the color schemes used by that company. (Yay! No basic gray and black.) My impression is that these designers aren't as strong as a group as the Project Runway ones have been, but I find Shan and Oscar especially impressive. Asha is also very good. Shan's jacket was lovely, and I'm so glad they gave it a prize as well.

As for Natalia, I'm glad she went on a high note, with her gracious words for Asha and Asha warming to her.

One personal note: I wish Mondo wouldn't wear those little-boy shorts so much. He has an authoritative presence, and the outfit completely undercuts that effect for me. I love that Nick treats the situation so seriously and always wears crisp suits.