Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching??

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    The second group's finished products were more interesting, but I wondered how much the difference in fabric choice made. The first group all had to work with the same fabrics while the second had a variety to choose from.

I really didn't get the reasoning behind putting them in two groups. PR does challenges with 15 designers every season.

I disagree about a Mondo/Anya finale being set, though. Reality producers like to play with the underdog plot line. Nick has been set up in that role while Anya has been set up as the favorite.
    I thought the 2nd group should've had the same challenge as the 1st for a really fair comparison.

THe only reasoning I could come up with for the 2groups is to allow time for the mentoring component of the competition. the various discussions between Mondo, Anya and Nick took up time, as did the selection process take longer than a regular judging. 2 90 minute episodes. However, the next is only 1 hr.

Custom Title
    Oh dear.

Oh my my.

So Mondo, what "certain red carpet event" is your winning designer's look ready for? Well I suppose if you are a cross-dressing construction worker, we now have a red carpet look for you. Can't wait to see which 'celebrity' they force...I mean convince to wear that.

Two words kept running through my head during the runway show: Hideous. Boring. And in some cases Hideously Boring. Though I did like Chan's pantsuit (just keep it away from Janet Jackson...).

On a positive note, it's fun to watch Tim have a conniption fit.

Custom Title
    I didn't like any of the designs either. Any at all. I like that guy Shan (?), because he makes beautifully detailed clothes so quickly, but that cleavage was so offputting. I remember years ago one of the judges saying to Michael Knight that a "teaspoon" of cleavage was enough in such circumstances.

Nick really isn't getting the concept of a mentor. Mondo and Anya are both very quick on the uptake, and I can see how they will both be helpful, but their lack of mainstream experience might keep them from being really useful to their teams in terms of technical advice.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I try to remove all the Nick is a bad mentor and Tim's conniption fits...I liked this design.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unde...pisode-3#id=10

....and Blake's ragged look

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unde...episode-3#id=2

Didn't understand why this look was sent home

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unde...episode-3#id=4

I didn't like any of Nick's designs at all.

Custom Title
    I think it was sent home because of all the looks it would photograph the worst. And the construction did look rather slapped together.

I want a recording of Tim shouting "No! No! No! NO!" I think it could come in handy.

What do y'all think of the judges? The curly haired one is trying too hard to be The New Duchess, but I always thought Rachel Roy was a good judge with interesting things to say.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I think it was sent home because of all the looks it would photograph the worst. And the construction did look rather slapped together.
    I think the photo spread in Marie Claire was the deciding factor in the win and loss, not any actual red carpet potential. They could have just been honest about that. And I doubt we'll see the winning design on a red carpet unless it is an obscure movie premiere or the no-one-has-heard-of-it-or-cares awards.

I want a recording of Tim shouting "No! No! No! NO!" I think it could come in handy.
    What!! Hmmmmm

What do y'all think of the judges? The curly haired one is trying too hard to be The New Duchess, but I always thought Rachel Roy was a good judge with interesting things to say.
    The curly haired one, Jen Rade, got a little on my nerves. She looked at Rachel Roy and said "no" about something.

Here's a question for you.... Would you listen to a designer or a stylist opinion to make a decision??? I know this poll will be huge.

Oh dear.

Oh my my.

So Mondo, what "certain red carpet event" is your winning designer's look ready for?
    Mondo's looks have always strayed towards youth. There are a huge variety of red carpet events beyond the Oscars, Emmy's, etc. He was just correctly mentoring his proteges to not automatically think of the standard. Some of the looks perhaps geared to movie premiere, MTV awards, etc.

Based upon Anya's prior season and her turn judging, I always thought she'd be a good mentor. During her season, she comforted other contestants. SHe also has a very discerning eye and dresses well herself. Not having a strong background in sewing skills doesn't mean that she doesnt' recognize quality and she has a history of learning quickly. Does Tim Gunn sew or design clothing? Based upon various internet sources, he has a BFA in Sculpture and taught design and worked in Admissions at his Alma Mater before going to work in Admission at Parson's. Anyway, point is that strong sewing skills not needed to mentor.

http://www.biography.com/people/tim-gunn-594086

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Mondo's looks have always strayed towards youth. There are a huge variety of red carpet events beyond the Oscars, Emmy's, etc. He was just correctly mentoring his proteges to not automatically think of the standard. Some of the looks perhaps geared to movie premiere, MTV awards, etc.

Based upon Anya's prior season and her turn judging, I always thought she'd be a good mentor. During her season, she comforted other contestants. SHe also has a very discerning eye and dresses well herself. Not having a strong background in sewing skills doesn't mean that she doesnt' recognize quality and she has a history of learning quickly. Does Tim Gunn sew or design clothing? Based upon various internet sources, he has a BFA in Sculpture and taught design and worked in Admissions at his Alma Mater before going to work in Admission at Parson's. Anyway, point is that strong sewing skills not needed to mentor.

http://www.biography.com/people/tim-gunn-594086
    He was associate dean at Parsons for 11 years then chair of the department of fashion design until he left after Project Runway took off (in 2007). He did not work in admissions. Even the source you linked does not indicate that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post

Based upon Anya's prior season and her turn judging, I always thought she'd be a good mentor. During her season, she comforted other contestants. SHe also has a very discerning eye and dresses well herself. Not having a strong background in sewing skills doesn't mean that she doesnt' recognize quality and she has a history of learning quickly.
    Great points about both mentors. Mondo's personality during his competing season didn't stand out to me (though his work did), but the minute he opened his mouth as a guest judge, I was a fan. He's so measured and articulate. And as you point out, Anya was always able to connect with people while she competed. She was able to excel without trash-talking or belittling anyone else or even seeming to be aggressively competitive. I think these two people are especially good choices for mentors. My mind's still not made up about Nick. His heart's in the right place, and he has teaching experience, but I don't think he's as intellectually flexible in different situations as the other two seem to be. I hope he's able to change his approach so that his team can get the utmost benefit from his knowledge. Maybe Tim and the producers can spend some time with him off-camera and give him some pointers, unless they want to keep this issue as a dramatic bone of contention through the series (something I hope they don't do).

Someone posted this on a message board.

On Project Runway, Tim's tagline is "Make It Work!" But, on this show, it's "No! No! No!"

Custom Title

Ditto

Custom Title
    Since I couldn't get a good watchable feed yesterday, I watched the next ep of Under the Gunn. I thought the designs were, on the whole, much better than the first challenge (Miss ChaCha GlamaPuss in particular upped his game considerably--and I thought Nick did a good job in restraining his tackier impulses). And I liked the winning dress.

Interesting that no one wanted to work with Nick and yet he still has all of HIS designers.

But the usual ridiculous tie-in (a vampire movie? really?) and for an unconventional materials challenge, the results were not particularly unconventional at all. Still, it was the best ep so far and the traumadrama is at manageable levels (at least so far...).

Lifetime had Under the Gun on today (Sunday morning) so I was able to get caught up on the two episodes I missed because of the Olympics.

Haven't we seen this design from Michelle a number of times. I do love the top though.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unde...episode-4#id=5

I loved seeing Zendaya..she seems to be very mature for her age. I love how she seems to care what her parents think...what respect.

Anyhow, I'm glad that Isabelle is gone. My question is....do you think Nick threw her under the bus???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast