Has Russia said when they'll announce their decision re: Plushenko or Kovtun 4 Olys? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Has Russia said when they'll announce their decision re: Plushenko or Kovtun 4 Olys?

aschiutza

On the Ice
Well, yours are also subiective criteria why Plushenko shouldn't go to Olympics: i cannot see why Plushenko struggle and attention to it by the media is not respectfull to figure skating. Perhaps because i am above his age and i woudn't like to be written off from my job just because the younger ones "deserve their chance".

My argument was not a criteria for choosing someone but why i see not as a bad thing for fugure skating if Plushenko is choosen.

I didn't liked the style of Kwan as i was young, but i think figure skating needs now badly personalities like her and like Plushenkos. I wished she would have get the chance in her last olympics to show. A great legend she was! Normal people remember her and not Emily ( i liked Emily Hughes), who replaces her and an appearence of her, as the last bow, whould have been a special moment of the olypics, medal or not.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, yours are also subiective criteria why Plushenko shouldn't go to Olympics: i cannot see why Plushenko struggle and attention to it by the media is not respectfull to figure skating. Perhaps because i am above his age and i woudn't like to be written off from my job just because the younger ones "deserve their chance".

My argument was not a criteria for choosing someone but why i see not as a bad thing for fugure skating if Plushenko is choosen.

Lets be clear, he's not being written off because skaters are younger and "deserve their chance." People are pointing out that according to our understanding of the criteria, he hadn't earned it, and it seems that the Russian federation is doing their best to send him against reason or fairness.

Now, like you, I'm hoping he goes for the moment/sentiment. I think Plushenko captaining the Russian team to a podium finish is a worthy climax to his career. I think the fact that he hasn't competed at a European or World Championship on home soil (there were no Euros in Russia when he competed; he withdrew from the 2005 Worlds in Moscow) is a cruel quirk of fate for a skater such as himself. But right now, I can't convince myself that it's a fair outcome to the last season of skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They must have the test skate open to the public, or at least have Kovtun's people present. The test skate could be Plushenko doing a jumpless practice runthrough and that be deemed worthy, for all we know.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Lets be clear, he's not being written off because skaters are younger and "deserve their chance." People are pointing out that according to our understanding of the criteria, he hadn't earned it, and it seems that the Russian federation is doing their best to send him against reason or fairness.

Which are these criteria? The russian federation has sent last years number 5 to worlds. In the past they have very often send someone to european championship and when that person didn't show good performances, they send someone else to the worlds or tehy have trials for it. Do they have now other criteria?

On which criteria was choosen Kwan for the olympic team? Where they different? Wasn't it a trial skate as well? Was this trial public or the people of Emily were there to look at it?

For me the Russian Federation doesn't show much more support for Plushenko compared to Kovtun. But if you have in your garden an multiple champion is hard to forget about him when the others doesn't bring better performances. At the end of the day, the result is what matter to them not whom it brings it. I am sure they happily would have Kovtun to bring it, as he is young and can bring medals for more years to come (while Plushenko is at the end of his career), but sadly he is not there at the moment.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Which are these criteria? The russian federation has sent last years number 5 to worlds. In the past they have very often send someone to european championship and when that person didn't show good performances, they send someone else to the worlds or tehy have trials for it. Do they have now other criteria?

On which criteria was choosen Kwan for the olympic team? Where they different? Wasn't it a trial skate as well? Was this trial public or the people of Emily were there to look at it?

For me the Russian Federation doesn't show much more support for Plushenko compared to Kovtun. But if you have in your garden an multiple champion is hard to forget about him when the others doesn't bring better performances. At the end of the day, the result is what matter to them not whom it brings it. I am sure they happily would have Kovtun to bring it, as he is young and can bring medals for more years to come (while Plushenko is at the end of his career), but sadly he is not there at the moment.

Excellent points. Criteria changes based on the skater they want to send. Kovtun swept Jrs so send him to we worlds! Lol. Based on previous seasons voronov should be Olympic selection frontrunner.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
The advisory council of Russian federation will be made soon and the final composition of the Russian Olympic team will be named on January 23.

Source is the homepage of the Figure Skating Federation of Russia (FFKK) info was published 19.01.2014.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The advisory council of Russian federation will be made soon and the final composition of the Russian Olympic team will be named on January 23.

Source is the homepage of the Figure Skating Federation of Russia (FFKK) info was published 19.01.2014.

The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
At this point you would have to atleast consider Voronov as well (although sadly I doubt he will be named).

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

:thumbsup:

http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014_figure/20140119/716331145.html

Plushenko is without a rival, and doesn't need test skate - Tarasova :biggrin::laugh:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Russian forums are a buzz about the test skate. While Maxim's Euros performance won't help matters, he has Tarasova in his corner. Mishin apparently lost a lot of lobbying power after Elizaveta and Artur failed to meet expectations.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Russian forums are a buzz about the test skate. While Maxim's Euros performance won't help matters, he has Tarasova in his corner. Mishin apparently lost a lot of lobbying power after Elizaveta and Artur failed to meet expectations.

Wich forum? FSO??? :disagree:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kovtun flubbing the FS was predictable. Sure he was fine at CoR and Nationals---small stuff. He just can't seem to deliver when the pressure is on. If he couldn't handle Worlds 2013 and Euros 2014, how could he handle the Olympics?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Do they have to announce who the guy is before day one of competition? I say keep it secret until game time.