Has Russia said when they'll announce their decision re: Plushenko or Kovtun 4 Olys? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Has Russia said when they'll announce their decision re: Plushenko or Kovtun 4 Olys?

wallylutz

Medalist
FYI, on NBC this afternoon, both Tara and Johnny were asked who they would send (among the eligible Russian men) to fill Russia's only spot in Sochi and both picked Plushenko. Johnny's choice was a given since he and Plushenko are friends. Tara believes that Plushenko's experience will serve him well.

I'd be surprised if Russia sends anyone other than Plushenko.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That would be great! And the skater is......

right?! I'm sure it would make GREAT drama and get bajillions of Russian TV viewers to tune in just to find out who takes the ice! It'd be tv ratings GOLD over here! :laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I hope Plushenko goes for the entertainment value. When he misses the podium, poor "old" man, expect a big stink. What would FS OLY be without some hip wiggling and blown kisses from the mullet man? Seriously, who would not miss plushenko, the bionic skater. Really, I will miss him and if he can still skate and jump somewhat, he is still likely better than anyone else. Amazing how they do not have a bunch of great kids like in ladies. I do not get it. I just hope he does not injure himself.

They have likely gold in pairs. they have maybe a bronze in ice dance. they have at least a bronze, maybe silver with Julia. So who cares about the men's podium? People just want to see him. Maybe he should just do a gala skate to please the people. I don't care really. he is done, and should accept it. The podium will be Chan Hanyu and Jason Brown. Plush has no chance -I hope he does not expect a medal for real.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm starting to worry Plushenko will injure himself on the ice. Btw, I do not think Jason Brown will be on the podium at this Olympics.

HR4

On the Ice
I hope Plushenko goes for the entertainment value. When he misses the podium, poor "old" man, expect a big stink. What would FS OLY be without some hip wiggling and blown kisses from the mullet man? Seriously, who would not miss plushenko, the bionic skater. Really, I will miss him and if he can still skate and jump somewhat, he is still likely better than anyone else. Amazing how they do not have a bunch of great kids like in ladies. I do not get it. I just hope he does not injure himself.

They have likely gold in pairs. they have maybe a bronze in ice dance. they have at least a bronze, maybe silver with Julia. So who cares about the men's podium? People just want to see him. Maybe he should just do a gala skate to please the people. I don't care really. he is done, and should accept it. The podium will be Chan Hanyu and Jason Brown. Plush has no chance -I hope he does not expect a medal for real.

Excellent post! I, personally, stay 2 days more in Sochi just for men's short in hope of seeing Plushenko live. I think nor him, neither any other russian guy has a chance to medal in men single discipline, but he is a legend to watch! So RusFed, please, send him!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushy should go to Sochi because I will go, if this is not enough of a reason, I m running out of arguments :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Me too. Sending Plushenko sounds to be more reasonable than sending any other Russian man. Plushenko may not be able to get a medal in Sochi, neither does any Russian man it seems.

Many countries have those unable to medal, so they send their best. And I'm unconvinced that Plushenko is the best Russian skater at this point. Right now, I think Voronov deserves a chance and Kovtun a second chance.

Or the Russian federation simply needs to admit that they're sending Plushenko to make the event the most interesting and create the biggest buzz and entertainment value, and not actually because he has the best chance to place high. It's ridiculous to "earn" a spot by virtue of others messing up in a competition you yourself didn't even compete in.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The problem or the blessing is Russia has had several great prospects Gatchinski, Voronov, Menshov, kovtun et al but they are so darn inconsistent. Pluishy WAS consistently very good now is questionable but second at nationals isn't so shabby and he has in recent years won nationals and euros. If for pure entertainment and drama value counted then Plushy should go. gut says Plushy fairness says probably Kovotun but his performance Euros put that in doubt even.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Voronov is actually pretty consistent. It's just that he doesn't pull in the PCS, so even if he's on it doesn't matter. Plushenko will pull in PCS regardless of how he skates, particularly if the competition is in Russia, so it makes more sense to send him on paper. Even if Voronov will likely jump better, based on what we've seen this season.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Test skate news, I hope there is a vid.
Mishin says he is satisfied and they will wait for decision. He did his FS apparently with a hand down 4t, a 4-3 and the rest of his program. I didnt understand well from translation.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Member of the expert committee, Alexander Lakernik: Plushenko's control skating went well.

Member of the expert committee, a famous judge, chairman of the Technical Committee of the ISU Single and Pair Skating, Alexander Lakernik, shared his impressions about the control skating of Evgeni Plushenko, who took place in Novogorsk.

- I estimate Evgeni Plushenko's skating as very good - said Lakernik . - He skated Free program. Evgeni jumped two quads, there are some minor notes, but they are important only for professionals, such as the spins of the third level to make the fourth level. But I think that these details should not be discussed in the press.

- You, as a member of the expert council will recommend Plushenko as the main skater to perform at the Olympics?
- Do you want me to know more than I'm willing to say? I do not bring the final decision. It will be made in the coming days, at the Russian Olympic Committee...

Trewyn

Medalist
Plushy should go to Sochi because I will go, if this is not enough of a reason, I m running out of arguments :)

:agree: :agree: :agree:

So jealous that you will be there, seniorita :) I was never really a Plushy fan but I admire him for continuing. I think of all the Russian men, he's definitely most exciting to watch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Test skate news, I hope there is a vid.
Mishin says he is satisfied and they will wait for decision. He did his FS apparently with a hand down 4t, a 4-3 and the rest of his program. I didnt understand well from translation.

That does sound pretty good! I hope there is a video as well. Not that I don't believe Mishin but it'd be good to see how the rest of the program was skated. He could have ditched his choreo (however little there was to begin with) a la Mirai and just focused on jumps, which is not a luxury the other Russians had.

If he truly skated this well, then he is deserving of the spot, although I have no idea why he couldn't just go to Euros a couple days earlier and why saving a couple days would have made some huge difference. IMO it still should have been a competitive environment (who knows if Kovtun would have faced as much pressure in a test skate). He was probably waiting to see how Kovtun did. Ironically, it's uncertain if he would have lost to Voronov/Menshov.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
It is not really important whom Russia send. Nobody of the Russian guys can medal. But I would like to see Plushenko: for the last time in an international competition, and I hope he will skate well. Voronov should go to the Worlds and the time of Kovtun will surely come in the next years.