The Flutzing Russians | Golden Skate

The Flutzing Russians

GiveHer6.0's

Rinkside
Both Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya were dinged at the recent Europeans for "flutzing" which resulted in minus GOE's. Do you agree with the current judging system on "wrong edge calls" or "flutzes" or should they be harsher?

Also, who had the worst flutz of them all? Bobek? Cohen? Lipinski? Asada?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
it is an issue but those who cant fix as long as its a right flutz "an oxymoron" I know
it wont impact much even in GOE you can get average -1 - 0 or even a +1

also not all Russians flutz
Tuk, Radionova, Sotskova, Proklova have good lutzes

CarneAsada

Medalist
They could be a bit harsher. I think bringing back the ! mark for unclear edge would be a good idea. Let ! jumps get off with a slap on the wrist and penalize 'e' jumps more heavily.

All the skaters you listed have obvious flutzes. I don't see the point in measuring the blade's angle to the ice at takeoff to rank them in terms of who had the worst.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Both Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya were dinged at the recent Europeans for "flutzing" which resulted in minus GOE's. Do you agree with the current judging system on "wrong edge calls" or "flutzes" or should they be harsher?

I don't know what you're talking about because in Sochi, both Sot and Lip will have deep outside edge on their lutz.

Kelisiting

Rinkside
Most women seem to have a "flutz" issue. The only consistent lutz jumper I can think of off hand was Kimmie Meissner. That girl held that outside edge really deep. So even when her foot did move inward, it was still on an outside edge. The problem I see with a higher penalty of the edge call is that so many women do it and how to determine a reasonable measurement of when it has just become a flat edge take off. Its easy to spot with someone like Hughes (one of my least favourite Lutz jumpers because of this) vs Michelle Kwan who held her edge just before where she would lose the outside edge.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

What is interesting is that the worst flutzers also have that mule kick to a certain extent, whereas women with better lutzes like Yuna or Miki had mcuh better control over the movement of the picking leg.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Sarah Hughes.

bellamie

Spectator
I don't know what you're talking about because in Sochi, both Sot and Lip will have deep outside edge on their lutz.

You need to see the moment when they put their toe picks of right shoes on the ice. Then You can see their blades of left shoes have been leaned inside. I recommend you to see the pictures played slowly.

guanchi

On the Ice
You need to see the moment when they put their toe picks of right shoes on the ice. Then You can see their blades of left shoes have been leaned inside. I recommend you to see the pictures played slowly.

No, you don't understand- outside of Sochi, their lean to the inside edge is visible. In Sochi, the ice vapors will bend the light so that no lean to the inside will be visible. Hence, their edges will be deep and outside. Don't you see?:biggrin:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sasha Cohen never even tried to take off from an outside edge. She took off from the flat.

bellamie

Spectator
No, you don't understand- outside of Sochi, their lean to the inside edge is visible. In Sochi, the ice vapors will bend the light so that no lean to the inside will be visible. Hence, their edges will be deep and outside. Don't you see?:biggrin:

Thank you for letting me know. I didn't see Flatt Fan's Post carefully.

ks777

Record Breaker
the worst flutzer is Mai Asada, Mao's older sister. She never tried to hide it.. She also had the worst toe-axel.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I have to admit this really did make me :rofl:

elif

Medalist
Please. Their scores with flutz is very high. 4th and 12th highest ever. They don't need a award from panel at Sochi for a medal. I think only Carolina has clean 3lutz and 3flip. Other top skaters has same problem (e) too, even Yu-Na sometimes.