When/How often do you skate? | Golden Skate

When/How often do you skate?

JuneBug

Spectator
I'm an adult skater who started skating a few years ago. I am practicing all my single jumps before lutz and I practicing Mohawks. I've only been skating once a week and it occurs to me I would progress a lot faster if I slated more than one hour a week.

I'm a mom of a 19 month old, so I'm curious when everybody skates? I was thinking to start going at 6 am before my daughter wakes up.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I'm also an adult skater and skate about 3 times a week, 5-6 hours including one 1 hour lesson/week. I can only skate in the evenings after work and don't have the option of an early bird session. And you're right, it's really hard to progress skating only 1 hour a week. Do you take lessons? During times when I was lazy and didn't have a coach, I found that I could sort of maintain my skills skating once a week but barely and needed to skate at least twice a week to see any improvements.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I skate twice a week for 1 and 1.5 hours. As an adult I find it way easier to skate in the evening after my body has warmed up with the day's activity. I did the 6 AM thing for a season and hated it (not a good time to focus or be limber). What are your skating goals?

gnom

On the Ice
I skate 2 to 4 times a week for 1 or 1.5 hours - depending on available practice sessions (main limitation at my place) and my work schedule. Usually night time or afternoon (on weekends). We don't have early morning sessions and I would never ever skate voluntarily at 6 in the morning. Reminds me of early morning school figures back in the 70s.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I skate 4-5 days a week, 1-2 hours at a time. I CHOOSE to skate early mornings (2-3 days at 6A, 1 at 530A and 1 at 5A) as it gives me a reason to regiment my bed time, the ice is fairly empty (especially that 5A Sunday session), and FS ice typically ends at 5P here due to hockey and lunchtimes are often really busy at work that I can't get away or wouldn't get enough time for it to be productive. I also have three off ice sessions a week in the evenings and a very demanding job. I have jumps through the first two doubles (although that double toe is a jerk who likes to stand me up more often than not).

tietzd83

Rinkside
I, as a beginning adult skater working on the pre-pre moves and preliminary dance, skate 2 to 3 times per week, and about 1.5 to 2 hours each with a 45 minute lesson once a week. I'd honestly love to skate more, but ice time is hard to come by. I agree with CanadianSkaterGuy about skating in the evening to help with flexibility. Being 46 years old, I even find it takes about a half hour of stretching and easy stroking to loosen up and get all the little pains and cramps worked out.

Littlerain

Rinkside
I'm returning to the ice at age 27 and so far I've been taking 1 group lesson a week.Occasionally I can fit in a public skate as well, but I definitely want to skate more! Next month, i plan to take two group lessons a week (local park district rink has a deal on the weekday adult class) and i'm really interested in taking a private but am too nervous to ask haha!

It has been about... 6 weeks I think since the group session started. I definitely find that I'm not progressing as much as I would like, as we only can cover so much in a adult LTS lesson with varying levels. However, I'm happy for the refresher and technique tweaks, plus some of my mohawks and 3turns are missing so it is good to get tips on those. I know I would have gotten them back by now if I skated more!

tietzd83

Rinkside
It is awesome that you are returning to the ice! I am so envious of the folks who began skating earlier in life. I don't know what level you achieved before coming back, but I would guess you are much farther along than many/most in your class(es). I too took a couple of classes, but felt I spent too much time watching others and didn't get the individual attention and critiques I needed to make gains. I work with two coaches now, one for moves and one for dance, and love working with them. Although I always come into each lesson a bit nervous, I almost always leave somewhere above cloud 9!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I skated about 3-4 times a week in the first two months of winter, and now I skated about 1-2 times a week for a total of 2-4 hours/week. I do axel (albeit somewhat inconsistent), working on double loop, double toe, double sal without a coach. (Currently my double loop is really close but double sal - not so much). I mostly self-teach myself doubles. I have been skating on and off for about 6 years but really have gotten back my axel and cheated doubles only this season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm a once a year skater. There are no rinks where I live so it's difficult to get to the ice.
-But when I was younger I did a lot of in-line skating...roller-blades and found that the tricks you can do on asphalt are pretty easy to take to the ice.

alicetang

Rinkside
i skate 2-3 times a week (thanks to high school work) with an average of 1 hour every time i go practice. i go to the rink in the afternoon after school and i would practice a lot more but the thing is i can't wake up early for my life... 5 am sessions? i'll be in my warm comfortable bed if you need me
i've been skating for 8 years now (woah) and i have most of my doubles (minus double axel and double lutz). it's really a struggle to maintain my jumps with my minimalistic skating regimen but i've managed for almost two years now

Littlerain

Rinkside
It is awesome that you are returning to the ice! I am so envious of the folks who began skating earlier in life. I don't know what level you achieved before coming back, but I would guess you are much farther along than many/most in your class(es). I too took a couple of classes, but felt I spent too much time watching others and didn't get the individual attention and critiques I needed to make gains. I work with two coaches now, one for moves and one for dance, and love working with them. Although I always come into each lesson a bit nervous, I almost always leave somewhere above cloud 9!

thanks tietzd83! Some of my classmates have told me that i'm "really good" but i think that is just being comfortable on the ice and not totally ungraceful lolol. I think that totally helps a lot, and is the biggest help for returning skaters. I (unfortunately) didn't get much further than the first few freestyle leels as a child because my parents weren't into expensive activities and I was always feeling like the better skaters were judging me, so I stopped! haha. I really wish I was less afraid of what others thought at that age!

I have a bad habit of watching others too, but that's just life for me lol. (You should see me looking at people's food in restaurants!) I don't feel like i get as much attention as i want either, and really want to take private lessons but am a bit nervous to ask to do so (and commit to the expense!) It sounds like you are really enjoying your private lessons though, so that is awesome

daenerys

Rinkside
I skate four times a week for 1.5 hours each time, for a total of six hours a week. I'm addicted...

joebrayka

Spectator
1-2 times a week for 5-6 hours each time I go practice. 1 hour for eating lunch and snacks (I just love eating lol), 1 hour for socializing (when my bestfriend is also skating with me), 1 hour rest and 3 or more hours for practicing. Sometimes I can only go for a total of 4 hours at the rink especially when I get too tired easily, too many public skaters or when there is nobody around to talk to or no one to practice with (I just hate the loner feeling when I'm at the rink).