There's a petition to send Mirai to Sochi with 4,308 so far | Golden Skate

There's a petition to send Mirai to Sochi with 4,308 so far

TripleToe

Rinkside
http://www.change.org/petitions/u-s...-patricia-st-peter-send-mirai-nagasu-to-sochi

This situation is crazy. I can't imagine what's going through Ashley's mind. 2 time U.S. Champion, helped USA earn 3 spots in Sochi, a favorite and suddenly the most important day, the day you need to hit... You fail and now 50% of nation want you out of the team and don't love you anymore.

I'm not team Ashley or team Mirai, The only thing I find really annoying is how some people point this situation to "racism" when It's pretty obvious to me they're sending Ashley because they believe She has more chances of medal. Anyway...

Without arguments... Who would you send to Sochi: Ashley or Mirai?

- Don't answer Polina out or something like that LOL girl earned her spot, She's young that She's gonna go out there so fearless because She has nothing to lose ;) -

jennyanydots

On the Ice
The petition won't make the USFSA change its mind, but it helps brings attention to the issue and shows that a lot of people are not okay with what went on. I'm not a fan of either but I feel Mirai should go and Ashley should stay home. Putting Mirai on the Worlds team would have been a minor consolation and it was such an obvious snub that they didn't.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Sochi and Worlds teams are set. A petition will change nothing.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Ashley should go to Sochi because of all she's done in the last couple of years, but Mirai should have got the "consolation prize" of being named to the World team.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I think Ashley should go to Sochi because of all she's done in the last couple of years, but Mirai should have got the "consolation prize" of being named to the World team.

I think it is the least Mirai deserved, and yet they took Worlds away from her, talk about unfair!

Gigi13

On the Ice

Yeah not putting Mirai on the World team was just so unfair :disapp:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, I am going to say "Polina out" :biggrin: I know that she earned her spot, but she won't be competitive with the big girls at the Olympics... And she's so young! Sorry, but I really think that Gracie+Ashley+Mirai would be the best team right now

RABID

Final Flight
(so many threads)
Brought over from another one...
Has this been posted? If not read this and then read the comments. Bonus; David Lease is the political expert.
deadspin.com/the-real-reason-ashley-wagner-made-the-u-s-olympic-fig-1502787187

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think this helps anything and only hurts the sport which is already bleeding. Keep it up folks, we might nail the coffin. I llike Mirai and wished her the best after Vancouver; she failed to produce but look at the rules folks the rules and you can see how and why Wagner was selected - nothing to do with race or looks or anything.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think usfs got it right. yes, many threads, and we have no say. Mirai won bronze and maybe this will lite a permanent fire. I wish her well, always. She has lovely qualities.

Memelah711

Rinkside
Personally, I would have sent Ashley to Sochi and Worlds. Just like the USFSA did. Mirai hasn't done anything in the past fours years or so to deserve a spot on either team. One good week at Nationals does not nullify 3.5 years of failures. Likewise, one bad week at Nationals does not nullify 3.5 years of hard work and results. Mirai finally got it together at Nationals, unfortunately for her, it was too little too late. If you read the USFSA selection criteria, it is quite clear how and why Ashley was put on both teams. It has everything to do with Ashley's results and Mirai's lack of results.

The teams are set. It was a more-than-fair call. A petition will not change anything.

noskates

Record Breaker
Really? Really?

A petition seems ridiculous to me. The decision was made based on existing rules and also the fact that every skater in Seniors at Nats knew their placement wasn't the final decision.

I love Mirai but this effort just seems pathetic to me and can only cause her more heartbreak.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
To be fair, Mirai has made the podium in some Gp events since Vancouver. I just wish I knew if her decision not to follow Frank was about money-ie not having a place to live in Palm Springs. It seems Frank could have found Mirai someone to live with. Also, why did Mirai go to Nationals with no coach? Does anyone have the facts? KKonas is an insider. I wish she would speak, if she hasn't already, about how Mirai is regarded by the powers at USFS.

The petition and all the publicity is helping Mirai, though. It sounds like she will continue skating. And If they sent Mirai to worlds over Polina, I'd be okay with that. But clearly they feel Gracie and Polina are the best we have going forward/ She was very cool at Nationals. Our Polina and Grace up against Julia and Adelina. I think we are going to see some great competition. I can understand why they want to invest in Polina. With all the former champs gone and Agnes scored so low, Polina and Grace are who we have to take on Russians, Japanese, Edmunds, and whoever else might emerge from China. It makes sense from what we know now.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was just 19 at the time she was traveling to Palm Springs with Frank, and her parents didn't want her to live away from home with strangers or by herself in an apartment. She was able to stay in Japan this fall because she has many relatives there.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Her best "petition" is a strong skate at 4CC. People need to get over it.

Worlds, however, might be a more legit thing to petition if Mirai does well at 4CC and one or more of the American girls bomb in Sochi.

ericka141

On the Ice
They've made it very clear that Nationals is not the deciding factor for the Olympics entirely, which makes perfect sense. Ashley had one bad skate, but her international record has been very good in the past few years. It wasn't like she was fifth or sixth at Nationals, either- she was one spot away from the podium. As well as that, helping earn the Olympic team a spot last year while Mirai was far from making it to Worlds shows who is in their prime. And I do not think it's racism- it's sad how people automatically associate it when being racist.

But in spite of all that, it IS unfair how they're not sending her to Worlds. The World team selection seems to ALWAYS be based off of Nationals, and Mirai did earn her spot at Worlds. Now that was a snub.