Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: There's a petition to send Mirai to Sochi with 4,308 so far

Custom Title
    Really? Really?

A petition seems ridiculous to me. The decision was made based on existing rules and also the fact that every skater in Seniors at Nats knew their placement wasn't the final decision.

I love Mirai but this effort just seems pathetic to me and can only cause her more heartbreak.

To be fair, Mirai has made the podium in some Gp events since Vancouver. I just wish I knew if her decision not to follow Frank was about money-ie not having a place to live in Palm Springs. It seems Frank could have found Mirai someone to live with. Also, why did Mirai go to Nationals with no coach? Does anyone have the facts? KKonas is an insider. I wish she would speak, if she hasn't already, about how Mirai is regarded by the powers at USFS.

The petition and all the publicity is helping Mirai, though. It sounds like she will continue skating. And If they sent Mirai to worlds over Polina, I'd be okay with that. But clearly they feel Gracie and Polina are the best we have going forward/ She was very cool at Nationals. Our Polina and Grace up against Julia and Adelina. I think we are going to see some great competition. I can understand why they want to invest in Polina. With all the former champs gone and Agnes scored so low, Polina and Grace are who we have to take on Russians, Japanese, Edmunds, and whoever else might emerge from China. It makes sense from what we know now.

Custom Title
    Mirai was just 19 at the time she was traveling to Palm Springs with Frank, and her parents didn't want her to live away from home with strangers or by herself in an apartment. She was able to stay in Japan this fall because she has many relatives there.

Custom Title
    Her best "petition" is a strong skate at 4CC. People need to get over it.

Worlds, however, might be a more legit thing to petition if Mirai does well at 4CC and one or more of the American girls bomb in Sochi.

On the Ice
    They've made it very clear that Nationals is not the deciding factor for the Olympics entirely, which makes perfect sense. Ashley had one bad skate, but her international record has been very good in the past few years. It wasn't like she was fifth or sixth at Nationals, either- she was one spot away from the podium. As well as that, helping earn the Olympic team a spot last year while Mirai was far from making it to Worlds shows who is in their prime. And I do not think it's racism- it's sad how people automatically associate it when being racist.

But in spite of all that, it IS unfair how they're not sending her to Worlds. The World team selection seems to ALWAYS be based off of Nationals, and Mirai did earn her spot at Worlds. Now that was a snub.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai was just 19 at the time she was traveling to Palm Springs with Frank, and her parents didn't want her to live away from home with strangers or by herself in an apartment. She was able to stay in Japan this fall because she has many relatives there.
    That's just silly. Thousands of teenagers move out of the house at age 17 or 18 - yes, many to go to college, which is arguably a protected environment in some respects, but so would have been Mirai staying with a host family in Palm Springs, which I believe is what Frank said he desired for her. Not to mention many thousands of older teenagers move out of the house completely to get jobs, have their own apartments, pursue dreams in Hollywood, etc. And when you look at elite young figure skaters, I'm sure proportionally many more of them move out on their own or relocate, even across the world, to pursue their dreams.

Now, perhaps some of Mirai and her family's objections were cultural. Or maybe not, maybe her parents are just uber protective. But in a way, it seem symptomatic of why she hasn't been able to succeed at the highest levels, despite so much clear potential.

Anyway, I enjoy Mirai and I'm glad she had a good personal performance at Nationals. What's done is done, the decisions of 2010 or 2011 cannot be taken back now. I wish her the best at 4CC, would love to see her on the podium there.

Custom Title
    There were cultural as well as monetary reasons why Mirai's parents didn't want her moving away from home.

Custom Title
    The really annoying part with this is that it's a total lose-lose situation with 4CCs.

If Mirai does well, the crazies will be all over the place screaming that she should have got the Olympics.

If Mirai does badly, the crazies will be all over the place screaming about the horrible evil USFSA that broke her heart so bad she can't skate anymore.

Meanwhile they'll continue to open fifty million threads lamenting the evil USFSA that crushed poor Mirai's dreams while happily advocating for the crushing of Polina's or Ashley's.

You have to remember also that Mirai's mother had cancer. It might have been a reason why Mirai or her family did not want her to be so far away at that time. Also Frank was not able to get her to worlds again so it probably seemed to the family that it just wasn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    She was 16, not 19.

Down With It
    I'd probably have gone with Wagner for the Olympics and Nagasu (and Wagner, too) for worlds, but honestly what's done is done. I don't anything is going to change barring injury or accident.

The bigger question now is what will become of Nagasu's skating career. Can/will she resurrect it, or fade into the night? She's young enough that she could still reboot like Wagner did and get herself in the mix for 2018 (if her body can hold up).

Custom Title
    I hope Mirai can decide regardless of what happened what does she really want to do? She doesn't have a coach right now. Does she want to compete or is it time to go to school and work? What has to end is all this crying - Mirai, Ashley, Polina crying for joy. Razzano, Jeremy Abbott too many drama queens. United States the nation of a billion tears.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I hope Mirai can decide regardless of what happened what does she really want to do? She doesn't have a coach right now. Does she want to compete or is it time to go to school and work? What has to end is all this crying - Mirai, Ashley, Polina crying for joy. Razzano, Jeremy Abbott too many drama queens. United States the nation of a billion tears.
    Mirai has a coach or at least her ISU bio lists Takashi Mura as her coach. He's gonna be at 4CC with Mura so maybe he'll be with her in the KnC too.

skating philosopher
    Looks like there's a bit of a Twitter/email campaign to USOC. People are sending tweets to USOC campaigning to get Mirai on that Olympic team with the hashtag #Miraiearnedit

http://www.asiancemagazine.com/2014/...p-mirai-nagasu

Custom Title
    I don't think any of these campaigns are going to change the minds of USOC and USFSA. However, I don't see anything wrong with them, because it gives Mirai's fans an outlet to feel like they are doing something. It's also nice for Mirai to show that she's got a lot of fans on her side supporting her. Hopefully, this will motivate her to continue to improve her skating and performances going forward. Pulling for her to do well at 4CC this week.

As a fan of Mirai, I'm not signing these because I know they won't do anything, but I certainly won't begrudge those who do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast