Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: There's a petition to send Mirai to Sochi with 4,308 so far

Down With It
    The one thing I see on there that might be useful - force USFS' hand once again and make them outline and explain decision clearly.

Other than that however, afraid it's all but a waste of time as the decision won't be reversed...curious to see how Nagasu will do at 4CC though.

Quote Originally Posted by apgold View Post
    I don't think any of these campaigns are going to change the minds of USOC and USFSA. However, I don't see anything wrong with them, because it gives Mirai's fans an outlet to feel like they are doing something. It's also nice for Mirai to show that she's got a lot of fans on her side supporting her. Hopefully, this will motivate her to continue to improve her skating and performances going forward. Pulling for her to do well at 4CC this week.

As a fan of Mirai, I'm not signing these because I know they won't do anything, but I certainly won't begrudge those who do.
    If nothing else, I hope it does encourage the USFS to be more transparent about its selection process, especially for a high profile event like the Olympics. Not saying they were corrupt by any means, but I think more transparency could have prevent a lot of this backlash.

ETA: Apparently RD and I are on the same page.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai was just 19 at the time she was traveling to Palm Springs with Frank, and her parents didn't want her to live away from home with strangers or by herself in an apartment. She was able to stay in Japan this fall because she has many relatives there.
    You have to take ownership of your skating and Mirai wasn't willing to do that. Ashley left Priscilla Hill and went to John Nicks halfway across the country to try to make a breakthrough and it worked and she was only about 19. Gracie was barely 18 when she left Chicago to go to Frank Carroll in California though her mother and sister went with her but she still made the change.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    You have to take ownership of your skating and Mirai wasn't willing to do that. Ashley left Priscilla Hill and went to John Nicks halfway across the country to try to make a breakthrough and it worked and she was only about 19. Gracie was barely 18 when she left Chicago to go to Frank Carroll in California though her mother and sister went with her but she still made the change.
    How can you say she wasn't willing to take ownership? Money doesn't grow on trees some are limited... She made the choice to go to Japan and train under Mura and has made improvements. She needs more time with him obviously but you can't comment on skaters financials, you don't know them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    How can you say she wasn't willing to take ownership? Money doesn't grow on trees some are limited... She made the choice to go to Japan and train under Mura and has made improvements. She needs more time with him obviously but you can't comment on skaters financials, you don't know them.
    It wasn't like Mirai was going to have to move halfway across the country to stay with Frank. She would have had a place to stay too since Frank would have set her up with a family he knew.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    It wasn't like Mirai was going to have to move halfway across the country to stay with Frank. She would have had a place to stay too since Frank would have set her up with a family he knew.
    And we don't know the reason why she didn't. Don't you have to pay a host family? She has family in Japan. And if her parents pay for her training I would think they have some say in where she trains as well.

Custom Title
    There were cultural considerations. Mirai's family are Japanese-born and very traditional. While they would be comfortable with Mirai going to Japan and staying with family, Mirai living with strangers would be unthinkable, and they would not have had the money to pay for it.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Guess what, Jammers? Skaters and their families are human beings, not robots. A type of arrangement that might feel right to one skater would not necessarily work or make sense to another skater.

Furthermore, none of us here on GS should have the arrogance to presume that we could know what is best for any skater -- esp. regarding a decision affecting her/his life off the ice.

Citing Gracie as a comparison to Mirai in this context, as you did in an earlier post, is particularly RIDICULOUS.

Sure, a long-distance move to Frank Carroll could not have been a choice that Gracie made lightly. But Gracie's mother, twin/best friend, and dog(s?) made the move with her. If home is where the heart is, lucky Gracie still is at home, for the most part.

For Mirai, boarding with a host family known to Carroll would be a far cry from living with her own parents or extended family.

Custom Title
    Plushenko went from Volgograd to St Petersburg at the age of 11. Alone. In total poverty. Living in the slums to get by. Being beaten and bullied by older bigger boys.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Plushenko went from Volgograd to St Petersburg at the age of 11. Alone. In total poverty. Living in the slums to get by. Being beaten and bullied by older bigger boys.
    Good for him.
    Still does not mean that any of us could possibly know what is best for Mirai.
    It's a matter of apples and oranges to compare any skater's situation in life to another's.

^You make good points. But the facts remain that when you have one of the best coaches ever that helped you get to one Olympics, you and your family need to make the sacrifice. Maybe Mirai was offered free lodgings. People there don't need room and board. Likely the parents wanted to pay but couldn't and woul not accept what they surely, culturally would see as "charity." Pride is the deadliest sin for a good reason and father of all others. If only Mirai's parents had said to daughter. "Mirai, we have all worked years to get you to the top, and we support whatever is needed-fly a few miles from the nest-we will talk and visit when we can." Mirai made a fatal mistake-or her parents in terms of her career. She is not a victim and is done very well for herself-how many skaters wish for opportunities that she had plus the innate talent?

I bet the parents and Mirai now regret that they did not push her when they should have. Do they wish their bright daughter to skip college? Or must she enroll in a day program to stay close to them? At what age will they trust people other than Japanese relatives? Mirai was criticized a lot for her childish behavior and things she said. Skaters are famously immature and protected, but her parents did her a disservice. The world is changing rapidly. One day you have family, next day they are gone. The best parents raise independent children. Mine were not good in many ways, but at 24, without speaking a word of Spanish, I set off for Guatemala, alone. Me who was afraid of everything but adventure. I went to learn Spanish, knowing I'd be more employable as a "helper" (social worker) if I were bi lingual. And now I cant do any trip alone. So Ireally do feel for Mirai, envy this very close family with a long history of cultural differences, but when you are an elite figureskater trying to become the best in the world, two hours away with a coach you know was no big deal. Really, Mirai was always so little girlish. Is Mirai happy now that her future may be running the family restaurant? I don't think so. Look atr her gala skate. She sobbed. She skated so beautifully.

Leaving Frank was where Mirai went wrong. We see she CAN rotate her jumps. And her body was more defined. So when she trains hard, she gets results. I also think Evan Lyasacek was agreat influence on her. It is very hard to be your own master. Most skaters need a touvh coach who knows when to crack the whip. I remember hearing Frank say on Tv by the boards in 2010 that Mirai was "the best skater in the world." She was. But she did not believe him. Mirai needs to believe in herself. She never has. She has been too protected, and if she continues, Japan is the best situation to train in. She must feel like a grown up there, in charge. I have found her adorable, and her LP in Vancouver was off the hook. Everyone appreciates Mirai. But it was a case of not enough and too late. Another door will open, but she needs to look. If the parents are still making her decisions, then she should be encouraged to find something else she likes to do, and see if college is financially possible. Scholarships should be easy given her resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru View Post
    I think it is the least Mirai deserved, and yet they took Worlds away from her, talk about unfair!
    Agreed. But petitions aren't going to make the USFSA change their minds. The dunderheads.

Custom Title
    Only 4,308? Not a lot for all the noise some have been making. Mirai has been more gracious about it than many of her fans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    Only 4,308? Not a lot for all the noise some have been making. Mirai has been more gracious about it than many of her fans.
    Very, very, very true.

Custom Title
    not much noise? well, that's because not many people in the US watch/care FS these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast