Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Patrick a lock for gold still?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    With what you are "convinced", no one would believe you are serious.
    You weren't supposed to believe me, it was a joke.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jace93 View Post
    that's actually a little unfair... hanyu was injured durin london's world and he was still able to score the highest tes of the free skating... that said he sure his prone to meltdown as both 2012 skate america and 2013 skate canada show
    Those are both early-season competitions. Skaters aren't usually in prime competitive shape at that stage. Most gear themselves to peak gradually for the major competitions later on.

Javier Fernandez skated poorly in the GP but was much, much better at Euros and said he plans to improve even more by Sochi.

Who are the top five best male skaters in the world and what is innthe tech arsenal of each? It seems that while we love an artistic skater, it comes down to quad and quad combos. What will Chan, dai, hanyu, javi Machida, Jeremy and Jason bring in trmss of difficulty. I ask one of the members like blades that know the men very well to lay out the difficulty. Who are the top 10 in world according to ISU rankings? If Chan and hanyu are best shots at gold or silver in either order, then who right now has the third best scores this year to look like a strong chance for bronze? Would it be Javier? or Machida? Despite a beautiful showing from Jeremy, he melts down in competitions. I don't believe he can replicate his Nationals. I hope I am wrong.

I would truly like to know who is the top ten, and who will be standing in top 6 after sp. The final flight, will be????

just opinions. Last year everyone said Chan would win even with falls, Times and opinions have changed...

Custom Title
    When has Patrick Chan not won something? Are there other competitions that I'm missing? Every time I see him he wins whether he skates well or not. I've never seen Hanyu do much.

I'd be shocked if anyone else won. I think he's much more of a "lock" than YuNa, who hasn't been around for a while and could lose to Mao or Julia if she falls more than once.

Custom Title
    Not a "lock" but a very strong possibility. He has indeed shown vulnerability in the past, e.g. losing Skate Canada to Fernandez and the GPF to Hanyu. But it really depends on the skates of the day. Hanyu has shown the most potential to upset him, however as mentioned, if Chan goes clean he will most likely win (unless Hanyu goes clean as well, including the 4S which he has completely missed in his past 3 competitions -- he can then surpass Patrick on base value). He is more of a "lock" than Yu Na considering that the Russians can't exactly push Kovtun/Plushenko above Chan the way they can push Lipnitskaia/Sotnikova to the top of the podium.

For ages, Hanyu was my pick, and that wavered in the beginning of this season, but he's coming on strong again. Patrick has also had a pretty decent season, including a perfect, world record skate at TEB. Hanyu has to depend on Chan to make errors (SP & LP) and then go clean himself, so given that, I would say Chan has the edge. With Hanyu probably sticking around till 2018, Chan is certainly under much more pressure though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    LOL Chan will most likely lose this year (hasnt always been the case in the past) if he falls more than once (or even if he falls once if the other men skate to their potential) and he is about 20 times more likely to fall more than once than Yu Na who is a light years more consistent skater than Chan.
    Perhaps in past seasons, but interestingly, Chan has fallen exactly zero times this season, whereas Yu Na has fallen.

Yu Na is certainly more consistent than Chan, but given the BS judging we've seen in Russia this year, I wouldn't put it beyond the Russian fed to place Lip/Sot higher than her unless she skates cleanly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The Russians can only get away with so much BS.
    Given the COR results, I think in Sochi we will see just how much they can get away with.

Custom Title
    I'd say he's 70% chance to get gold.

Custom Title
    Julia may have weaknesses in her skating, but her strength is HOME ICE and that could be formidable....

Remember the coronations at CoR?

Custom Title
    Looks like that you have gone out of the loop for an important period of time. Hanyu has won GPF gold and won LP with a fall against non-fall Patrick Chan.
    Really? I had to work that day, and since Universal Sports is gone, you miss these competitions, they're gone for good, unless you watch on the computer.

Still find it hard to believe that anyone else will be "allowed" to win the coveted medal other than Patrick, though. I'll be shocked if it's anyone else.

Custom Title
    Also with a hard fall, he won over a clean Patrick - to use all Patrick nay-Sayers' standard which they have been using for years.
    Yep, but for some reason people are more outraged when Chan was the beneficiary of similar circumstances. Hmmmm....

Custom Title
    The battle between Hanyu and Chan is going to be interesting. Both skaters' best performance wasn't their most recent, which just further complicates things. Just hope they both skate without regrets

Custom Title
    I never thought I would say this, but having finally seen youtubes of the GPF, Patrick was robbed.

Actually, I don't think either of them are all that great. They both are skating very soft, feminine, boring programs. I miss Evgeni vs. Alexei or Brian vs. Brian. Those skaters held me captive. These two are dull.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    I never thought I would say this, but having finally seen youtubes of the GPF, Patrick was robbed.

Actually, I don't think either of them are all that great. They both are skating very soft, feminine, boring programs. I miss Evgeni vs. Alexei or Brian vs. Brian. Those skaters held me captive. These two are dull.
    Did you see the short programs of both skaters as well? Yuzuru had a massive lead over Patrick after the SP, and deservedly so, I think.

Patrick: http://youtu.be/d3NVbORhgH4

Yuzuru: http://youtu.be/eKAaHWjVgvM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast