Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Is Patrick a lock for gold still?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Lambiels Four Season is way better. He feels the music with his soul and his skates to the music at all times with his body movements and facial expressions, which Patrick in no way does. Patricks Four Seasons is in fact quite boring, regardless of its scoring merit. Years from now nobody will go back on video and watch it again, which many still do for Lambiels better performances to that exquisite program.

Usova & Zhulins Four Seasons is by far the best ever mind you.
    Hah, "in NO way". Never at all in his FS is Patrick skating with the music with his body movements. Well, I guess even the haters have their opinion, and will stick with it till the bitter end.

I hope you can at least agree about Lambiel's atrociously garish and tacky outfit... it's one of the worst skating costumes - if not the worst - to appear in men's skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It is. At the time of Lambiel's 4 Seasons it was great but Chan's FS is way more intricate and ambitious in its choreo. As for interpretation that's a matter of preference, but anyone who suggests Lambiel's 4 seasons was somehow better choreographed or more difficult in general is just a diehard lambielfan deluding themselves, or a Chan hater, or both.
    I don't like Patrick much, but I don't hate him. He was robbed in that long program!
    Anyway, I'm surprised that he would do a program that another male skater made famous not that long ago*. Usually, skaters try not to do that, or at least they used to until fairly recently. And I liked Stephane's costume, with its dead leaves. It matched the theme of the four seasons, or at least fall.

* Of course the exception to this rule is "Carmen." Any skater can do that any time, and in fact, I believe it's written somewhere in the Code of Points that it is mandatory to do at least once.

Best Four Seasons: Patrick's version four years ago.

Custom Title
    Have to change my post. Stephane was wearing a zebra vest and blue sleeves, not dead leaves.
    Stephane seemed happier than Patrick, but stood and posed quite a bit. Don't remember Patrick's from 4 years ago, I'll have to check it out.

Here it is. (Correction -- it was six years ago )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9LSJIzuQU

By the way, Lambiel said afterward that he was portraying a zebra who was seeing snow for the first time. (I mean, you gotta give props for that, right? )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here it is. (Correction -- it was six years ago )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9LSJIzuQU

By the way, Lambiel said afterward that he was portraying a zebra who was seeing snow for the first time. (I mean, you gotta give props for that, right? )
    I love the Swiss.

Rinkside
    I still think he's a lock IF he's clean, or even near-clean. That's a big if though ... so no he's not a lock in the general sense.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Nobody can do a zebra watching snow for first time like Stephane did, iconic costume too, thats why people remember his Vivaldi. Torino had the best music choices in general.

Stephane's costumes turn me off but he is a to die for skater. Switzerland's best male and one of the best men ever imo. He really has it all. We don't get to see him much over here sadly. I love his exhibitions where he can show his heart and skate the way he wants. CoP can be so limiting for true artistic skaters like Lambiel. I wonder why the swiss can spin so well? I think of the great Bielmann and Lucinda Ruh-I loved their skating. I guess those would be the top 3 I have seen the most from Switzerland. I am sure if one goes back decades there are some amazing skaters from the "olden" days, as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Patrick, you don't spin as well as Stephane Lambiel, so don't use the same music as he did. Go back to "Take 5" or "Phantom of the Opera" or that Spanish piece with the red shirt.
    Wait, don't skate to Vivaldi because another skater has a great program to it, but skate to Phantom of the Opera or Aranjuez instead?

Do you think Chan's Vivaldi is actually a lesser program than his POTO? I love his Vivaldi (and yes, Lambiel's odd costume choice detracts me from his skate. I'll revisit "Poeta" a million more times, though)

Custom Title
    I don't think it's a good idea to re-do a piece of music made famous by someone in the same category fairly recently. Stephane, with his spins, showmanship and crazy costume was more memorable than deadly-serious Patrick in his deadly serious gray shirt, even if Patrick did more intricate transitions or whatever. The Phantom suited him better, as did Take Five. Also, I can't think of any man who did those programs just a few years before, although if one did, I'll learn about it here!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4