Men FS - 2014 European Championships | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 European Championships

Spots for 2015 European Championships

Russia - 3
Belgium - 2 (no second skater)
Czech Republic - 2
France - 2
Germany - 2
Israel - 2 (Samohin is a very decent skater and deserves this :))
Spain - 2

Sweden and Austria down to 1 spot.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Aww, poor Michal. He almost got it. I don't think he expected Menshov to attack this much from his 11th place.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Honestly, Voronov and Menshov should have shots at making the Olympic team.

The Russian fed must be scratching their heads now.

The only solution is a skate-off between Voronov, Menshov, Plushenko and Kovtun, IMO.

and a live one at TV that with audience
for pressure cooker scenario

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Haha, yes! I'm so happy that Menshov get's the Bronze. From 11th to 3rd!!! No matter who they will send from Russia, it will probably be the wrong decision. Fairest would probably be sending Voronov.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would love to see Konstantin going to Sochi.

But, the Federation are dead set on Kovtun or Plushy. They have never even considered Menshov or Voronov. Otherwise, they would have sent one of them to Worlds last year.

And if it is a choice between those two, I'm going for Plushy. Kovtun is young enough to have other chances. Plushy is certainly going to retire, but he has unfinished business at the Olympics.

I still feel Plushy should have won the gold in Vancouver! And this is his chance to not only prove that point, but to do it in front of his home fans!

So, good luck Zhenya!

CaroLiza_fan

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I would love to see Konstantin going to Sochi.

But, the Federation are dead set on Kovtun or Plushy. They have never even considered Menshov or Voronov. Otherwise, they would have sent one of them to Worlds last year.

And if it is a choice between those two, I'm going for Plushy. Kovtun is young enough to have other chances. Plushy is certainly going to retire, but he has unfinished business at the Olympics.

I still feel Plushy should have won the gold in Vancouver! And this is his chance to not only prove that point, but to do it in front of his home fans!

So, good luck Zhenya!

CaroLiza_fan

and he made a valid point
Kovtun is untested and can bomb just like now

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I am so happy that Menshov can finish his skating career with a Europeans medal. He deserves it for his longevity and for having improved a lot post-25, Butyrskaya-style. :)

Has he said he is finishing? I think he looks so young and fit :thumbsup:

Honestly, Voronov and Menshov should have shots at making the Olympic team.

The Russian fed must be scratching their heads now.

The only solution is a skate-off between Voronov, Menshov, Plushenko and Kovtun, IMO.

That would be awesome... showed on a stream for all of us to watch :laugh:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:

No matter how right you are, it won't happen.
All four of them have different points going for them (or against them), and none really stood out. It's pretty likely going to be Plushenko now, I guess.

Looking at the scores again, Menshov was probably robbed of silver. Voronov's PCS were ridiculous.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I wanted Plushenko at the Olympics for reasons sentimental, but yes - a skate off between the four is the only thing that makes sense to me now. That or sending Kovtun based on his early season form and Nationals title.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Ziggy said:
Kovtun has the best basics out of the three Russian guys competing here and his choreo was decent enough (similar level to Menshov's).

I'm not disagreeing Kovtuns PCS should have been above Voronovs. They shouldn't have been above Menshovs though. Yes, his basics are better than Menshovs, but not by that much, and definitly not enough to make up for the difference in performance today. (Kovtun seemed lost and gave up, Menshov did really well).

qwertyskates

Medalist
Kovtun wow..one of the worst skates from him, all nerves, great programs though.

Menshov is a nice guy but weak lines,carriage, choreography, etc. definitely, if Kovtun didn't pop his jumps, he would have been 90s in PCS.

wallylutz

Medalist
Kovtun has the best basics out of the three Russian guys competing here and his choreo was decent enough (similar level to Menshov's).

He also skated rather poorly. News flash, PCS also depends on the performance and should go down when the skater did a 6AM morning practice in competition!