Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Men FS - 2014 European Championships

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    Carmen, Swan Lake, R&J, West Side Story... one can develop a drinking problem by the end of the season!
    I wonder how "risky" it is to skate to a previously untried and unchoreographed music. A wrong choice of music or a poor choreo may make it more difficult for the jurors and the audience to connect to the performance, and degrade the skaters chances. Maybe this is why tried and proven music is prefered (and overused). How well can experienced coaches/choreographers foresee how a new music will be received in the skating hall?

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Weiss touches on the russian men's situation, that Plushy will have a test skate next Tuesday and that the Olympic Team will be announced after that.
    He says the rumour is: Plushy will do the Team event and another one will do the individual, but that's forbidden IN THEORY.
    BUT loophole with wd'ing after the team event
    There's no loophole any more. ISU just published a communication forbidding replacements between the team event and individual event.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    There's no loophole any more. ISU just published a communication forbidding replacements between the team event and individual event.
    I know, I was just translating
    Cool interview with Streubel, for those who understand German that is. Describing the situation in Germany, lack of internal competitions to increase level. Very honest about lacking PCS, and acknowledging all those involved in working on that (Pasquale Camerlengo who did the programs; René Lohse;... )

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Viktor PFEIFER (AUT)

Music: Breath of Life by Audiomachine; Sad Piano by Michael Orteta; Guardians at the Gate by Audiomachine

Black pants, black loose shirt with tapered sleeves and pleather details.

3Lz - 'tano
    3F
    3Lz+2T
    CCSp
    3Lo
    1A
    StSq
    3S+3T
    3T+2T+2T
    2A - stepout
    CCoSp
    ChSt - hydroblading, steps
    FSSp

Problems with the double axel, but otherwise solid. He smiles

FS: 62.59+65.58 = 128.17, 189.06, 1st (out of 7)

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongEdge View Post
    I wonder how "risky" it is to skate to a previously untried and unchoreographed music. A wrong choice of music or a poor choreo may make it more difficult for the jurors and the audience to connect to the performance, and degrade the skaters chances. Maybe this is why tried and proven music is prefered (and overused). How well can experienced coaches/choreographers foresee how a new music will be received in the skating hall?
    It's absolutely true, and that's why I appreciate when someone comes out with something original (Papadakis/Cizeron with woodkid, for instance). Newcomers may want to rely on a well-known music and character, but the risk is to fall flat and really don't bring anything new to the piece - then again, Samantha Cesario's take on Carmen was heartfelt and nice to see. I'd like top tier skaters to take risks, either with less known music or with a radical, "signature" aprroach to warhorses, but I understand that it is about ticking boxes and scoring points at the end of the day.

Another beautiful, elegant performance from Pfeifer. Such a shame that he doesn't have the harder jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Karel Zelenka was sent in 2006. I would send Bariev to Sochi :(
    Yeah sorry. Zelenka bombing his SP and not qualifying to the FS was what I was referring to. I remember clapping to congratulate the Italian Fed whilst I was watching his SP.

Medalist
    Great quality to Pfeifer's skating.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    The Axel is not his friend, but Pfeifer is really elegant (when he's not dislocating his shoulder) and musical.

Alexei BYCHENKO (SIR)

Music: ?

Black pants. Black/purple textured shirt with gold piping and silver stones. Black gloves

3A+2T
    4T
    2A+2T+2T
    CCoSp
    StSq
    3Lo
    3F+2T
    2Lz
    CSp
    3F
    3S
    ChSt
    FSSp

Lots of difficult jumps, but they were kinda sloppy. He needs a lot more work on posture too. But he seems pleased, and it was a solid skate.

FS: 70.00 + 65.08 = 135.08 (PB), 203.76 (PB), in 1st (out of 8)

I feel sorry for Israeli skaters having to have terrible Galit Chait choreography. Bychenko skated with a lot of speed, energy and flow throughout but his program was devoid of style and character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Zelenka bombing his SP and not qualifying to the FS was what I was referring to. I remember clapping to congratulate the Italian Fed whilst I was watching his SP.
    Who else should they have sent instead? He was the Italian Champion for 4 years in a row at that time, and by far the best skater they had at their disposal. Bacchini was second all those years, and he was nowhere near the same league as Zelenka.

Stephane WALKER (SUI)

Music: Shades of Marble by Trentemoller; Only God Forgives (soundtrack) by Cliff Martinez; Roadgame by Kavinsky

Black pants, dark red brocade vest over white shirt.

3A+2T+2T - hand down on axel, very little speed on toes
    3A - fall
    3Lz - stepout
    FCSp
    StSq
    3Lz+3T
    3F
    CCoSp
    3S - maybe twofooted
    3Lo
    FCCoSp
    ChSt
    2A+2A+SEQ

Problems on the triple axel and some other problems. He seems a bit disappointed.

FS: 59.48+60.50-1.00 = 118.98 (PB), 179.52 (PB), in 4th (out of 9)

Lovely basics and character from Walker.

The level has been extremely high so far, Cieplucha will have to skate clean to place top 20. :/

Who else should they have sent instead? He was the Italian Champion for 4 years in a row at that time, and by far the best skater they had at their disposal. Bacchini was second all those years, and he was nowhere near the same league as Zelenka.
    Ok, I get it now. I remembered Torino but what it in fact was, was 2005 European Championships testing the venue before the Olympics. Bacchini was 32nd in the SP totally bombing.

lol: Walker and Cieplucha have completely opposite musics, but pretty much the exact same costumes!

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    lol: Walker and Cieplucha have completely opposite musics, but pretty much the exact same costumes!
    Sleeve garters are the new trend for skating costumes, apparently.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast