Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malif View Post
    Certainly Russian Federation would prefer to see their flagship Adelina upper than Yulia. I would not be much surprised to know one day that it was Russian scorer
    who gave Yulia lowest marks.
    I thought the same thing. The same judge that dinged Julia showered Adelina with great marks. I've often wondered if Julia and Eteri feel like they have been kind of alone the last few months. Even though Julia, more so than Adelina, has always worn her Russia jacket in Kiss and Cry and especially in interviews. Adelina not always or much less understated.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Apparently people have different definition of flow and effortless.
    To me, she doesn't have much flow.
    Her 2a-3t-2t meets the flow requirement. Did you not read that it's flow throughout the sequence. If you can't at least give her a +1 than I'd say your just biased. Seems fair to at least give her that. I'd go +2 on most of this sequence all season with a +3 only in Canada. I still don't know how she landed that first 2a in the Euro's LP. I really wish I could have gone out and got a good look at the ice where it happened. That was quite the bizarre jump, I can only wonder how bizarre the ice looked.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Her 2a-3t-2t meets the flow requirement. Did you not read that it's flow throughout the sequence.
    What is flow?
    Can tiny jumps have any flow? Yes, it glides out 10 cm, but nothing like the flow coming out of Yuna's jumps or Caro's jumps or Shizuka's jumps. Now that's flow.

When a jump suddenly get +2 and doesn't look anything near spectacular, then you're doing it wrong.

Custom Title
    To answer the original question posed: I'd say she has already closed the gap quite well according to the eyes of the judges.
    I am not sure whether the judges at the Olympics will be significantly different from the European or other competitions and whether that would affect the PCS scores.

Great point about how the judges have been closing the gap all season. How though will ISU judges feel about "Send in the Clowns". If she performs it like at Korean Nationals I don't see it higher than 75. If she goes much higher and puts on a good SP, than it will be lights out everyone. Julia has since closed the gap on Mao...not on Yuna though. Especially if Yuna gets over scored herself which is in itself possible too, is it not.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

When a jump suddenly get +2 and doesn't look anything near spectacular, then you're doing it wrong.
    We must have different dictionaries. Julia's jumps are spectacular by my definition. At least among the best in the world by even the highest standards. Maybe not the highest but certainly among the best in the world albeit thru other merits than just height alone. Her distance is very good, which in turn helps her flow back into the program by carrying speed. She lands 3ltz-3t about as gracefully as possible. Her 3t often exceeding her lutz in height. This is spectacular and is almost always better than both Yuna or Mao's second jump on the cascade. I guess we'll just have to disagree but I think if you satisfy the scoring requirements the ISU gives you to perform within, and you accomplish it, you then should be given credit.

Banned
    See bullets 1,6,7

She doesn't have to be better than ,say Caro, on exits to still get points for it. With this logic would most of the rest of the field get awful marks in relation to Julia throwing down superior spins. I think they all can and do get very positive marks on spins yet no-one is as good as Julia. That is not a slight but a mere fact. I actually like Adelina or Gracie's spins. Not so much for Yuna or Mao but that doesn't make them sub-par does it?
    In terms of impressive spin position and uniqueness ( I spin ) Julia wins
    In classical Spin position with speed Gracie wins
    the Adelina spin position she makes is unique too but ugly looking

Kim was never considered a strong spinner, typical spin plus lack of flexilibity
    at least her spin speed is better than Carolinas

Custom Title
    My take? The gold is Kim Yuna's to lose, the silver is Asada's to lose. The bronze is open to several of the ladies cited in this thread. Just beware that all things considered, Lipniskaya could end up with the gold a la Tara in '98, Sarah in 2002, and Arakawa in 2006. Yuna Kim of 2010 was the first of these preceding Olympiads favored to win the gold, and actually won it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lee View Post
    My take? The gold is Kim Yuna's to lose, the silver is Asada's to lose. The bronze is open to several of the ladies cited in this thread. Just beware that all things considered, Lipniskaya could end up with the gold a la Tara in '98, Sarah in 2002, and Arakawa in 2006. Yuna Kim of 2010 was the first of these preceding Olympiads favored to win the gold, and actually won it!
    also someone really been in a dark horse contention would be Gracie Gold too
    she can have a higher BV than Yuna

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    It's always fun when someone surprises us! We know she isn't putting up her us nationals score though, right. Not sure if she can break 200 which is likely around the bronze score. A dark horse indeed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    You say that as though she's not the only one. Mao, Suzuki, Kostner, Murakami, Edmunds, Li, Lipnitskaia and anyone else who could potentially attempt 7 triples could have higher BV than Kim (but it will be easily made up for with Kim's GOE).

Kim's BV at Worlds last year was 58.22 ... Julia was over 61 at Euros, Suzuki was over 60 at Nationals and Murakami was over 59 at Nationals, Asada was over 62 at Worlds (Gold was over 60, as was Li), Edmunds had 61 at Nationals, etc.

Boycott the ISU
    Barring a meltdown, Yuna will score 210+. IF she goes clean, she'll score in the 220s or 230s.

Beat that, if you can.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    You say that as though she's not the only one. Mao, Suzuki, Kostner, Murakami, Edmunds, Li, Lipnitskaia and anyone else who could potentially attempt 7 triples could have higher BV than Kim (but it will be easily made up for with Kim's GOE).

Kim's BV at Worlds last year was 58.22 ... Julia was over 61 at Euros, Suzuki was over 60 at Nationals and Murakami was over 59 at Nationals, Asada was over 62 at Worlds (Gold was over 60, as was Li), Edmunds had 61 at Nationals, etc.
    Im talking about FS

couple with her GOEs taht only Yuna can touch, also Gracie seems to have a new consistency on her side, Frank Caroll seems to be doing wonders for her
    I think Gracie will be the only legitimate skater to get near Yuna's PCS if clean, I say this as she too is in gold medal contention
    I would say 2 mistakes from Yuna, not that huge of mistakes the podium will be

1 Gracie
    2 Yuna
    3 open -

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Barring a meltdown, Yuna will score 210+. IF she goes clean, she'll score in the 220s or 230s.

Beat that, if you can.
    How do you score her nationals SP in front of less biased judges? Just curious.

Boycott the ISU
    How do you score her nationals SP in front of less biased judges? Just curious.
    Yuna already scored 78+ with Bond. She's a better skater now and even more credentialed with a beautiful program. If she goes clean she will score 80+ SP. Nobody can touch that. Mao could stay close enough if she's perfect, but clean Yuna should have a 10-15 point lead on the others heading into FS.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast