Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Don't take me wrong. I like Julia, I was one of them who gave her Standing Ovation and cheered to her in Budapest in the Arena.
    BUT talking about details of the jumps, how it happened that she got 3 x 0 and 3x+1 (!!!) GOE for the edge-called Flutz!!

She is magnificent and makes an emotional impact on the audience with the quality and natural style and personality.
    I would be happy if she was winning Oly Gold, but ONLY if Yu-na an Karolina makes mistakes or pops their jumps.
    Mao can be beaten easily by Julia, because of her much worse jump technique (even worse edge and underrotations).
    I'm saying that, but also like Mao. I think that her SP is the best so far this season.

Rinkside
    In my humble opinion, I just don't see what is so special about Yuna compared to Mao or Gracie. Yes, she has excellent jumps, but so does Gracie. Yuna's spins are far inferior to Gracie or Julia. I feel that we who love skating have to remember that this is a sport, not who deserves to win or has won in the past. Whoever skates the best at the Olympics should win. That being said I think Julia has a reasonable chance to take gold.
    Can someone tell me what is so superior about Yuna's GOE's because I just don't see it. Her spins and spirals are inferior to other top skaters. What am I misusing???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Yuna already scored 78+ with Bond. She's a better skater now and even more credentialed with a beautiful program. If she goes clean she will score 80+ SP. Nobody can touch that. Mao could stay close enough if she's perfect, but clean Yuna should have a 10-15 point lead on the others heading into FS.
    The scoring system has changed since 2010, so a 78 in 2010 is irrelevant. And I personally think she was a better skater in 2010. Her jumps are the same (superior, but still no 3-loop) and I saw more personality in her Bond and Gershwin programs than I am seeing now or last year. If she has progressed at all, it certainly is in very small increments.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    @bigdeal

I for one appreciate a fair approach like yours stated above.
    On the details,its fair of you to correct me, I thought a flutz was -1 to -2 based on severity. I hardly think even Julia's worst critics would say her flutz is that severe given the speed at which its done and probably in need of video review. So if she satisfies four criteria for a GOE to earn +2 on a jump then also receives -2 for the most severe flutz possible would that not still be a 0 GOE? Do they negate the first 8 bullets if there is a flutz. I guess I'm not clear on this. Under my scenario, would not a +1 be fair if she only receives a -1 for the fluts(edge call)

My spell check does not like the word flutz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    In my humble opinion, I just don't see what is so special about Yuna compared to Mao or Gracie. Yes, she has excellent jumps, but so does Gracie. Yuna's spins are far inferior to Gracie or Julia. I feel that we who love skating have to remember that this is a sport, not who deserves to win or has won in the past. Whoever skates the best at the Olympics should win. That being said I think Julia has a reasonable chance to take gold.
    Can someone tell me what is so superior about Yuna's GOE's because I just don't see it. Her spins and spirals are inferior to other top skaters. What am I missing???
    The whole package. The whole being greater than the sum of its parts and if some parts aren't great others are and all the other parts are at least good. Add them all up.... She is like a cash register going, ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching....

Banned
    In my humble opinion, I just don't see what is so special about Yuna compared to Mao or Gracie.
    Besides her jumps, Yuna's SS are better than Gracie. I mean, it's not even close. Yuna is much faster with less effort. As Robin Cousins said, there's no visible effort, just control of something that happens naturally when she's on the ice. Gracie on the other hand, is slow and you can tell she's trying very hard when she moves through her program. They are on completely different levels artistically too.

Her spins and spirals are inferior to other top skaters.
    Yuna's spins are very, very musical. I think people underrate this about her. It seems the "better" spinners are really just trying too hard to impress. Although I do like Adelina's power in her spins. The design might be hit or miss, but man she has some power and FORCE when she spins, it's amazing.

When it comes to spinning, I think I prefer Yuna's lyricism and Adelina's power more than the flexibility of the others.

ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching

Definitely laughing with you here!

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    Don't take me wrong. I like Julia, I was one of them who gave her Standing Ovation and cheered to her in Budapest in the Arena.
    BUT talking about details of the jumps, how it happened that she got 3 x 0 and 3x+1 (!!!) GOE for the edge-called Flutz!!

She is magnificent and makes an emotional impact on the audience with the quality and natural style and personality.
    I would be happy if she was winning Oly Gold, but ONLY if Yu-na an Karolina makes mistakes or pops their jumps.
    Mao can be beaten easily by Julia, because of her much worse jump technique (even worse edge and underrotations).
    I'm saying that, but also like Mao. I think that her SP is the best so far this season.
    I dunno at this point, Kostner is much easier to beat for Julia than Mao, since she has done it a couple of times this season. Mao has better skating skills and when she lands her jumps, they are bigger and cover a little more distance than Julia's. Since she isn't even including the lutz in her layout anymore, it's really a moot point.

oh please, Mao has an "e" on the lutz and that's about it, every other jump is pretty much textbook. and unlike Julia's tiny little jumps, Mao's jumps have height and distance something Julias jumps very apparently lacks. Even with Julia's sudden increase of point's, her jumps don't look that much different from the beginning of the season. the judges can increase the scores anytime and to whoever they want, but that doesn't mean that I would take it in any way seriously. as easy as it is to suddenly increase the scores, it's also easily undone, Julia (and other skaters ) has already witnessed this transformation once this season!

Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    oh please, Mao has an "e" on the lutz and that's about it, every other jump is pretty much textbook. and unlike Julia's tiny little jumps, Mao's jumps have height and distance something Julias jumps very apparently lacks. Even with Julia's sudden increase of point's, her jumps don't look that much different from the beginning of the season. the judges can increase the scores anytime and to whoever they want, but that doesn't mean that I would take it in any way seriously. as easy as it is to suddenly increase the scores, it's also easily undone, Julia (and other skaters ) has already witnessed this transformation once this season!
    I think big deal may have been referring to Mao's jump technique being worse than Yuna's here, not Julia.

What? Mao easily beating by Julia. GPF an imperfect Mao won over Julia. People on this thread are understimating Mao, she can afford to make mistakes and if judges are fsir Mao should win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I think big deal may have been referring to Mao's jump technique being worse than Yuna's here, not Julia.
    If i undarstand correctly she is comparing Mao to Julia

Julia has beaten Carolina two times. Mao
    Zero. So, easily beaten by julia not likely

@bigdeal

I for one appreciate a fair approach like yours stated above.
    On the details,its fair of you to correct me, I thought a flutz was -1 to -2 based on severity. I hardly think even Julia's worst critics would say her flutz is that severe given the speed at which its done and probably in need of video review. So if she satisfies four criteria for a GOE to earn +2 on a jump then also receives -2 for the most severe flutz possible would that not still be a 0 GOE? Do they negate the first 8 bullets if there is a flutz. I guess I'm not clear on this. Under my scenario, would not a +1 be fair if she only receives a -1 for the fluts(edge call)

My spell check does not like the word flutz!!!
    Can anyone answer this...I'm unsure here.

This was in response to a poster that said Julia should never receive higher than 0 GOE for context purposes.

Can anyone answer this...I'm unsure here.

This was in response to a poster that said Julia should never receive higher than 0 GOE for context purposes.
    I find this site most helpful...

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_j_lutz.htm

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast