Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Great points. I do think Mao's 3a is exciting. Could she not work them into her program better, I'd say yes. It's just lost in the presentation to me. I know people don't like Julia's flexibility being so prevalent either but at least it's used somewhat tastefully IMO. I think Mao can bring it and she is a huge threat and one of the best ever. I really respect her and should leave it at that but Julia does have a shot to beat her and has closed that gap in my eyes.
    I agree that Julia (or her choreographer) have toned down her flexibility showiness a bit and it's most appreciated. Hopefully, she'll keep going down that path even more. I find that Julia has some sort of magnesticism. Her program at least isn't boring. I don't think she or her choreography come close to living up to the weightiness of the theme, which her costume and music choice bash us over the head with. But the choreo itself is better put together, I think, than Adelina's, which I just don't get.(sorry). But I have to try to forget what Julia's "theme" is when I watch.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Yu Na has never been off of the podium. She was a star even as a junior. There is PCS inflation. Yu Na gets it, too.
    On the 1st year of Yuna's senior season, her SP was El Tango de Roxanne and LP was Lark Ascending. Do you think Julia's programs this year has same level of performance as Yuna's first senior season?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepymom View Post
    On the 1st year of Yuna's senior season, her SP was El Tango de Roxanne and LP was Lark Ascending. Do you think Julia's programs this year has same level of performance as Yuna's first senior season?
    You can't compare Julia to Kim. Kim's 2007 program didn't win much, but they were programs of exceptional qualities. The current scoring inflation is an illusion. Those programs if judged in the current scoring trend, could have garnered astronomical points. Well, not astronomical, but point is they have more qualities that scoring system can convert to number. Moreover Julia's skating is still junior, and even with a full consideration of the current judging tolerance Julia's level is only comparable with Adelia or Li or perhaps Gold.

Custom Title
    On a side-note(?) I guess would be the best term look at this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/4598371/

"I was very nervous before my skate and my legs were trembling," Lipnitskaia said. "In the second half of the program I was able to pull myself together and skate really well."

"Emotions help me to perform well," said Lipnitskaia, the first Russian winner of the event since Irina Slutskaya in 2006. "I always thought that they would distract me, hinder my technique, but I discovered that emotions help me improve my performance."

"I think that now as a European champion I should make the team," Lipnitskaia said. "My goal for the Olympics is just to skate clean and show good skating."

I think she will do very well.

Custom Title
    Yes, for the long program. No, for the short (but it's not that far behind).

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_O'Reilly View Post
    On a side-note(?) I guess would be the best term look at this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/4598371/

"I was very nervous before my skate and my legs were trembling," Lipnitskaia said. "In the second half of the program I was able to pull myself together and skate really well."

"Emotions help me to perform well," said Lipnitskaia, the first Russian winner of the event since Irina Slutskaya in 2006. "I always thought that they would distract me, hinder my technique, but I discovered that emotions help me improve my performance."

"I think that now as a European champion I should make the team," Lipnitskaia said. "My goal for the Olympics is just to skate clean and show good skating."

I think she will do very well.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Isnt this COP system about racking points. All skaters do it
    Seriously. Julia's LP starts with an interesting 'introspective section", but thereafter, it's all about landing the jumps and then her firework of fast spins in the latter part. Not that they are not impressive when she does everything cleanly, but it is all about racking points.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well, to each its own. I have watched Julia's European SP and LP, but no... performance-wise, she's projecting beginning and , probably ending. To me, performance aspect is non-comparable.

Banned
    Well, to each its own. I have watched Julia's European SP and LP, but no... performance-wise, she's projecting beginning and , probably ending. To me, performance aspect is non-comparable.
    Agreed. She has good presentation beginning and end, but she's young and only able to do one thing at a time. When she skates through her program, there's no presentation.

Everyone should just give her time to grow up and improve. She's only 15. If everyone stopped pressuring her to win this year, she could get better and be a star next time around.

Banned
    I just had this funny idea, I wonder if anyone agrees. I think Julia reminds me of Mao more than any other skater. Right now she's like a less-polished, junior version of Mao. I think if her career survives puberty, she could become a less artistic but technically more consistent version of Mao Asada.

Imagine you are driving down the highway, and you are chasing after a goal. Mao has the polish to just maintain speed, let the goals come to her, and then she ATTACKS. Julia on the other hand, she just sees the goal and she speeds up and drives faster to reach it. It's the impatience of youth, less polish because her mind is not developed enough like Mao, who has the advantage of being older.

Whereas Yuna has beautiful, regal style to her, but no pretentiousness, like a beloved Queen, Mao has her own unique style that I would describe as very sharp and determined. Neither style can be argued over the other, it's personal preference, and the difference in their abilities comes down to other things besides their style. But in this way, I think Julia reminds me of Mao more than anyone else.

Custom Title
    Okay... I will take back about everything I said Kostner's PCS score at EC was repressed, oh boy was I wrong. For the FS, she actually got the highest PCS in her entire career, and 3rd highest of all time. For the SP, she got her 2nd highest PCS only got surpassed by 0.17 at Worlds 2013, which was the 5th highest PCS of all time. I admit I originally got the wrong impression from Sonia Bianchetti article
    http://www.soniabianchetti.com/writi...peans2014.html

According to the rankings of these PCS records list out properly in black and white, it seems they did try to inflate Kostner's PCS as much as possible despite her low TES but just wasn't enough, because others especially Adelina was getting massive boosting too. The overwhelming inflation of PCS this year is truly crazy. Will Olympics set new territory to ensure consistent inflation to all skaters or just the selected few who got there first?

Here are the top 10 highest PCS charts for ladies SP and FP, check out the proportion of TES vs PCS and event it happened.

FS (PCS) Best ever scores
    http://oi41.tinypic.com/30agn74.jpg

SP (PCS) Best ever scores
    http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ppir1c.jpg

Re: jenaj

I think you are quite wrong about Yuna get inflated by PCS, if ever, certainly not made any difference in ranking. Even arguably she should have like others always got. I'd like you to show me examples when she did and explain how it can justify the PCS inflation that the Russian newbies got this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I just had this funny idea, I wonder if anyone agrees. I think Julia reminds me of Mao more than any other skater. Right now she's like a less-polished, junior version of Mao. I think if her career survives puberty, she could become a less artistic but technically more consistent version of Mao Asada.

Imagine you are driving down the highway, and you are chasing after a goal. Mao has the polish to just maintain speed, let the goals come to her, and then she ATTACKS. Julia on the other hand, she just sees the goal and she speeds up and drives faster to reach it. It's the impatience of youth, less polish because her mind is not developed enough like Mao, who has the advantage of being older.

Whereas Yuna has beautiful, regal style to her, but no pretentiousness, like a beloved Queen, Mao has her own unique style that I would describe as very sharp and determined. Neither style can be argued over the other, it's personal preference, and the difference in their abilities comes down to other things besides their style. But in this way, I think Julia reminds me of Mao more than anyone else.
    I think I agree with you about Julia resembling Mao, but being technically more consistent.

However, I think that if Julia hasn't finished going through puberty (which I personally think is what was going on last year since she grew several inches and her body changed - by any definition puberty), she will still manage as good results as she did 2nd and 3rd at GP qualified for GPF where score-wise she would probably have placed 4th. It's pretty much impossible to predict how she would have done at Sr Worlds compared to her Jr Worlds result.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I have a funny idea, why don't you stop being a frigging embarrassment and make ridiculous posts. Mao, Julia, Yuna are all very different type of skaters with their own merits, so give it a rest. Most annoying poster ever!!!!
    You are the most violent person I've ever seen on a skating forum. You give us Yuna fans a bad name. And, I feel sorry for you.

If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore.

Skateluvr, where are you? I'd like to have a friendly conversation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Okay... I will take back about everything I said Kostner's PCS score at EC was repressed, oh boy was I wrong. For the FS, she actually got the highest PCS in her entire career, and 3rd highest of all time. For the SP, she got her 2nd highest PCS only got surpassed by 0.17 at Worlds 2013, which was the 5th highest PCS of all time. I admit I originally got the wrong impression from Sonia Bianchetti article
    http://www.soniabianchetti.com/writi...peans2014.html

According to the rankings of these PCS records list out properly in black and white, it seems they did try to inflate Kostner's PCS as much as possible despite her low TES but just wasn't enough, because others especially Adelina was getting massive boosting too. The overwhelming inflation of PCS this year is truly crazy. Will Olympics set new territory to ensure consistent inflation to all skaters or just the selected few who got there first?

Here are the top 10 highest PCS charts for ladies SP and FP, check out the proportion of TES vs PCS and event it happened.

FS (PCS) Best ever scores
    http://oi41.tinypic.com/30agn74.jpg

SP (PCS) Best ever scores
    http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ppir1c.jpg

Re: jenaj

I think you are quite wrong about Yuna get inflated by PCS, if ever, certainly not made any difference in ranking. Even arguably she should have like others always got. I'd like you to show me examples when she did and explain how it can justify the PCS inflation that the Russian newbies got this year. Or that she doesn't deserve the ranking she got?
    Haha, in 4cc judges seem finally calming down. Hopefully it serves a reminder of sobriety on duty.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can look at Julia and see that she's not nearly the skater as Mao Asada or Yuna Kim. It's disturbing that -- with a flawed program (several of her jump landings were bad, she would have received negative GOE on the last sequence) -- that she could score better than Mao's best ever, and be up there within reach of Kim's.
    That's is crazyl. None of her jump landings were bad except for maybe the first 2 Axel, which even if upper-body was strange on the landing, she maintained her back outside edge for a couple of seconds and did not have to put her free leg down. She got 0 GOE on her first two jumping passes even though they were perfectly landed with satisfactory height. And for your information she did receive negative grade of execution for that last jump combination not sequence because of an edge call, not because it wasn't well-executed. She had a minor glitch on the first 2Axel and went on to execute a program with a higher base value, that she has never done before on the fly. Now that is incredible. And it is your opinion that the program is flawed, evidently an opinion that is not shared by international judges.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast