Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    so basically you dont want Julia to medal because she is 15 years old ?
    I don't have an issue with wonderkids winning. However, I have to admit that I was glad Yuna missed the Turin cut by months and did not have to compete against Michelle. I'm sure Tara's glad too.

Custom Title
    Anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can look at Julia and see that she's not nearly the skater as Mao Asada or Yuna Kim. It's disturbing that -- with a flawed program (several of her jump landings were bad, she would have received negative GOE on the last sequence) -- that she could score better than Mao's best ever, and be up there within reach of Kim's.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can look at Julia and see that she's not nearly the skater as Mao Asada or Yuna Kim. It's disturbing that -- with a flawed program (several of her jump landings were bad, she would have received negative GOE on the last sequence) -- that she could score better than Mao's best ever, and be up there within reach of Kim's.
    But there's not guarantee that Mao and Yuna will be at their best and if they leave the door open Julia more than has the chops to blow right in.

I don't have an issue with wonderkids winning. However, I have to admit that I was glad Yuna missed the Turin cut by months and did not have to compete against Michelle. I'm sure Tara's glad too.
    Friendly suggestion that you check your skating history.

But I get what you mean, as I too can't help but root for the veterans. It always takes me a while to warm up to most skaters. I'm sure Tara, however, has zero problems with wonderkids winning the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I never bashed Michelle, FYI. Favourites change; some I keep for longer, sometimes multiples happen. I'm not the only. You may also be surprised to hear that I used to dig this video.
    While I raved Yuna's 08-09 season, it took me until the GPF before I appreciated her Schez; before then, I wasn't pleased she had the same coloured of costume and the ending pose as Michelle.

Custom Title
    But there's not guarantee that Mao and Yuna will be at their best and if they leave the door open Julia more than has the chops to blow right in.
    Well I think Mao might bomb this year, but we'll see. My issue is there seems to be an effort to set up cleanish Julia > cleanish Mao, Suzuki, Kostner, perhaps even Yuna. Can you imagine a scenario where Yuna pops a jump and gets a dubious edge call, and all of a sudden Julia with that same Euros performance could be propped up even more and the winner? What a disgrace!

Even if you set aside the fact she looks like a little girl out there next to mature ladies ... her skating skills are inferior compared to the top contenders, her jumps are tiny, and she doesn't have any artistry whatsoever after that opening. I hate bashing her because she's very talented for 15, but this is getting ridiculous and entirely too much now by all the people trying to prop her up against the very best in the world.

Custom Title

But I get what you mean, as I too can't help but root for the veterans. It always takes me a while to warm up to most skaters. I'm sure Tara, however, has zero problems with wonderkids winning the Olympics.
    There's also no guarantee that Julia will be at her best. Julia failed to do well at COR, and she even admitted in an interview that she felt the home-field pressure. Julia has also never been at an Worlds/ Olympics before, so who knows if the nerves will get to her? But I have to admit that I am inclined to think that she will deliver. Let's wait and see...

Rinkside
    I consider myself one of those who have 2 eyes an a brain.... Seriously do we need to calm down?? though I wish everyone skate clean anything can happen so I still stick with my top 2 Kim/Asada or Asada/Kim

Rinkside
    Actually there is still no guarantee that the all girls will skate at her best or clean...Remember the Ice is slippery

Banned
    Well I think Mao might bomb this year, but we'll see. My issue is there seems to be an effort to set up cleanish Julia > cleanish Mao, Suzuki, Kostner, perhaps even Yuna. Can you imagine a scenario where Yuna pops a jump and gets a dubious edge call, and all of a sudden Julia with that same Euros performance could be propped up even more and the winner? What a disgrace!

Even if you set aside the fact she looks like a little girl out there next to mature ladies ... her skating skills are inferior compared to the top contenders, her jumps are tiny, and she doesn't have any artistry whatsoever after that opening. I hate bashing her because she's very talented for 15, but this is getting ridiculous and entirely too much now by all the people trying to prop her up against the very best in the world.
    Haha, I guess we have to blame Kim for that. Two things got my eyes: First since Kim's and Rochette's hibernation, there isn't a face that represents the figure skating while Asada struggles and Kostner behind the curtain. The ISU's system inevitably readjusts to the field without those who shaped the kind of GOE levels. Second, now it's almost a decade since these veterans dominated. As a new one who is capable of triples emerges, couldn't they be pleased to cherish them as now Kim and Asada and even Kostner likely retire after Sochi? But we will have to wait until sochi but as you saw in 2013 Worlds that's what exactly they stand.

Custom Title
    I don't have a problem with Julia beating Kostner at Euros. I never liked Kostner's skating as much as most people, but even they have to admit her technical content is too low right now.

But, even with Mao imploding and Yuna gone ... Suzuki is clearly a better skater and mature performer compared to Julia. If this is a Russian thing, Adelina is clearly a better skater and performer compared to Julia. Just compare Adelina's jumps to Lipnitskaia's. Adelina goes up and it seems like she keeps going up and up into the air. Her spins are powerful. Just the presence of her body on the ice gives more impression than tiny little Julia. And her SS are better too.

Banned
    It wouldn't be surprising at all if Julia ended up winning the Gold medal in Sochi. I'm not saying she necessarily deserves to win, but when you watch her and look strictly at her jumps and spins, she looks very impressive. Her flow across the ice is good and she has quick virtually everything. Now, when you look at her actual choreography, presentation and expression, that is where things get dicey. I know she's young and her PCS can improve (and most likely will). However, as of NOW, I find her actual presentation in both programs to be...dull. Maybe it's her choice of music, but I find her to be a rather rote, mechanical skater. A technical virtuoso to be sure, but just something about her presentation is uninspiring. I am in awe of her flexibility and speed but find myself drifting off during the middle of her programs due to the sheer boringness of her persona (perhaps it's partly, unfairly, due to the way she looks). Adelina is certainly not as consistent or impressive in terms of speed and precision, but I find her to be a much more interesting presence on the ice. Ditto for Carolina, Yuna and Mao.

I hope all the girls skate clean tbh I want Asada or Kim to win the Olympics and I don't want Julia to win maybe because I always root for the veterans and I want the newbies to do well, find motivation to continue, and continue to improve in the future. I'm worried for Mao more than Yuna though because Mao is not as consistent as Yuna and Julia but I'm hoping that the whoever wins gold it would be Yuna or Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    209 with a strict panel.
    She has a true lutz, ok. I don't know why they dinged her with e calls.

In Sochi, all her lutz will be getting +2 GOE just like in CoR a few months ago.
    Mao is out of the running now. I don't see her being clean enough. Lip is zeroing on Kim. Her PCS will be within .5 a point from Kim in the SP and 2 points max from Kim in the LP. Her TES will be 73-75 when the Tech controller realizes she's doing a lutz. Then Kim has no room for error. One step out and it's over.
    Sometimes I can't tell whether you're being serious or not. Lipnitskaya's surname would be more accurate as Flutznitskaya.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wootie View Post
    It wouldn't be surprising at all if Julia ended up winning the Gold medal in Sochi. I'm not saying she necessarily deserves to win, but when you watch her and look strictly at her jumps and spins, she looks very impressive.
    Her spins? Yes. Her jumps? No way........

Look at the bright side, Ven. YuNa by her comments is one who isn't shy about expressing her nervousness and yet she is all about embracing the experience; remember that she wanted her Korean "sisters" to share in that experience. When it is all said and done, that might be the difference. So we need to embrace the experience as well. This is going to be so much fun.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast