I feel a bit sorry for Ashley Wagner... | Golden Skate

I feel a bit sorry for Ashley Wagner...

wootie

Match Penalty
Ok, so I shouldn't since she's going to the Olympics. However, it must be hard being Ashley knowing that she peaked a year or two before the Olympics and is now squarely NOT the best American ladies skater. Let's face it, Gracie is more attractive and more inherently talented than Ashley. Ashley has traditionally done a better job of selling her programs with sex appeal and some flair, but it looks like these attributes aren't enough anymore for golden skates when your technique and skating skills are clearly a bit inferior to your closest competitors. I wouldn't count Ashley out, but she has to know most people don't really have faith in her medaling and don't believe she is the future of American skating. Her glory days have likely passed.

No need to feel sorry for any of the competitors at the Olympics. They will go to Sochi and try their best. A few will win medals, all will have the experience of a lifetime.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She's been a top US skater for the past 3 years and top 5 in the World two years in a row. Not too shabby in my way of thinking. She's earned her ticket to Sochi and I'll be rooting for her, Gracie and Polina all the way.

Ven

Match Penalty
Heh, I kind of like Ashley more than Gracie tbh. Gracie rubs me the wrong way on tv for some reason. Kind of unfair, but that's tv impressions for you. Ashley on the other hand is just an underachiever. I wish she would have been pushed harder in these last couple of years, then she might be in better position to win bronze.

louisa05

Final Flight
Fans are so fickle. Gracie has beat Ashley exactly once. And suddenly Gracie is a gold medal contender and Ashley should retire in disgrace immediately because her time has passed...give me a break. We have no idea how they will perform in Sochi. And the U.S. ladies champ has not fared all that well at the Olympics in recent years--1998, 2002, and 2010 all saw other U.S. ladies placing higher than the national champion.

I hope all three of them skate their best in Sochi. And if that's what happens, it is hard to tell where the judges will place them.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Fans are so fickle. Gracie has beat Ashley exactly once. And suddenly Gracie is a gold medal contender and Ashley should retire in disgrace immediately because her time has passed...give me a break. We have no idea how they will perform in Sochi. And the U.S. ladies champ has not fared all that well at the Olympics in recent years--1998, 2002, and 2010 all saw other U.S. ladies placing higher than the national champion.

I hope all three of them skate their best in Sochi. And if that's what happens, it is hard to tell where the judges will place them.

I agree, also, I think Ashley will do fine in Sochi, she is a very determined young woman.I think at Nationals, the pressure was way overboard, not only the pressure of making the team and not repeating 2010. But also the pressure of all her endorsers. She wants to do well in Sochi, obviously, but I think she will have less pressure on her shoulders and will be able to skate more freely.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

:clap: :clap:

I do feel for Ashley, though. She didn't skate the best she could - and she knows that. She knows that the USFSA is holding a lot of hope in her to put her on the team. She does not deserve the hate that's been spewed at here not just on the message boards and fan boards but directly at her on twitter, instagram, facebook and other social media. I'm glad she has "people" to help her wade through it (and block it if need be) for her.

louisa05

Final Flight
:clap: :clap:

I do feel for Ashley, though. She didn't skate the best she could - and she knows that. She knows that the USFSA is holding a lot of hope in her to put her on the team. She does not deserve the hate that's been spewed at here not just on the message boards and fan boards but directly at her on twitter, instagram, facebook and other social media. I'm glad she has "people" to help her wade through it (and block it if need be) for her.

I feel for her, too. For the exact reason you stated.

My sense is that she will have a good Olympics, though.

Amei

Record Breaker
Fans are so fickle. Gracie has beat Ashley exactly once. And suddenly Gracie is a gold medal contender .

That's more because that is how the media is portraying it. Just like they have suddenly made her a Olympic gold medal contender because she won nationals once, even though she has won no major international competition in the senior ranks and only 1 Jr. event - JGP Estonia.

Ashley should retire in disgrace immediately because her time has passed

I think Ashley has peaked, I'm not saying she should retire but her days as the #1 U.S. lady have certainly passed, they have their new darling in Gracie.

louisa05

Final Flight
That's more because that is how the media is portraying it. Just like they have suddenly made her a Olympic gold medal contender because she won nationals once, even though she has won no major international competition in the senior ranks and only 1 Jr. event - JGP Estonia.

I think Ashley has peaked, I'm not saying she should retire but her days as the #1 U.S. lady have certainly passed, they have their new darling in Gracie.

If USFSA truly felt that way, they would have avoided a lot of controversy and left her off the team.

No one has been consistent for U.S. ladies since Kwan. And USFSA knows that better than any of us. I doubt they are ready to anoint any skater the no questions asked number one.

And just skimming thread titles here proves that it is not just media pushing Gracie as a contender and Ashley as done.

emma

Record Breaker
I feel for Ashley for not skating her best at the pressure cooker of nationals, and for knowing that there are people who are disappointed or even angry as a result. But, I'm with MM on not feeling sorry for her as an - or soon to be - Olympian, who will have that experience and memory forever.

Someone mentioned she is an under-achiever; I can't even imagine thinking that of her; she appears to me to be determined and to be resilient and to be a fighter; I hope her olympic memories can include a good fight with the skate she dreams of, placements be darned!

coppertop1

On the Ice
I agree with Louisa about skating fans being fickle. How many people now declaring Gracie a potential threat for gold were saying she was a headcase during the Grand Prix Series? Now, she beats Ashley and she's all awesomeness and Ashley, who had had the best results of all US ladies, is an underachiever, and Gracie is prettier, etc etc? Wow. Skaters just can't be human any more. I do think Gracie could be a World Champion and Olympic medallist, but to say she's a threat to Kim right now is being a bit unrealistic. All this uberhype is why fans were complaining about her results, the media set the expectations way too high for a skater not far removed from the junior ranks. I say if you root for a skater, do it all the way, don't complain when they're not consistent then fawn on them when they skate well. Don't rag on some one who had one competition, when she had been skating well all year, and say she should retire. Rooting for a skater all the way makes it more enjoyable when they do reach their potential, even if it takes a while. Ashley had nothing to do with the choice, don't hate on her.

I also think it's silly to say Polina shouldn't go because she won't be competitive. So? A skater has to start somewhere. Polina has nothing to lose, this for her, is about experience, like many other up and comers who will be there, same I expect of Gracie, this is after all, her first Olympics, too, and Ashley's first Olympics, though she is the best chance at a medal for the US in ladies skating. Nothing is a lock at the Olympics. How many times has a favourite succumbed to pressure and someone pulled a huge upset? Especially in ladies. Don't count your medals before they're won and the doping tests are passed.

Ashley is the opposite of an underachiever. She has squeezed every drop out of the talent that the Good Lord, in His wisdom, has blessed her with. :yes:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
How many people now declaring Gracie a potential threat for gold were saying she was a headcase during the Grand Prix Series? Now, she beats Ashley and she's all awesomeness and Ashley, who had had the best results of all US ladies, is an underachiever, and Gracie is prettier, etc etc?

Nothing is a lock at the Olympics. How many times has a favourite succumbed to pressure and someone pulled a huge upset?

Yeah, really. People keep continually putting way too much weight on the very latest competition results. You'd think no one's watched figure skating for very long or something. Come on, people. :sarcasm:

One bad competition doesn't equal over the hill. Ashley's been landing the 3f-3t combination and looking technically strong all season. I don't envy the position she's in now, and I don't know how well she'll handle it mentally, but if she has has a disappointing Olympics it won't be because she's simply past her expiry date or whatever and can never be the same again. I've been skeptical lately of the assumption that a skater only "peaks" once a season and after that, they inevitably decline. Now skaters only peak once in their entire careers? What about all the skaters that have a couple lackluster years and then come back stronger than ever? Again: come on.

Ven

Match Penalty
Ashley is the opposite of an underachiever. She has squeezed every drop out of the talent that the Good Lord, in His wisdom, has blessed her with. :yes:

Eh, I think she did really well up until she became the top U.S. skater 2 years ago into last season. Like she was always climbing that mountain. Some people get to the top and that's it, they're done. David Duval was someone who spent years and years and finally became the #1 golfer in the world, and just a few months later he was completely washed up. Seems like Ashley lost something in the last 1year+, if you ask me. If she had something to push her more I think she'd still be at peak right now in contention for a bronze, but unfortunately that's almost impossible now.

lavender

Record Breaker
Fans are seriously fickle but that seems to be how people are...turn on ya in a minute and what have you done for me lately. I also agree with Ven. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not every feels Gracie is prettier than Ashley. I think both are very pretty in their own way.

I just hope all the skaters Mao, Akiko, Kim, Adelina, Kostner, Osmond and more all skate clean and see what happens.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Fans are not just fickle they also can be mean. I hope Gracie, Polina and Ashley have terrific skates at the Olympics and do themselves and the US proud.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If you look at Ashley's international scores from the Grand Prix season, she scores in the 8+ range for her skating skills. Gracie and Mirai didn't score that high. I think it is going to be a very tough year for any skater to medal though with so many top ladies. Yuna, Mao are the best and get the really high scores and now Julia and Adelina as well. I really hope that the American ladies do well and skate their best.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I too hope Mirai's ubers or one uber here, let up on this crusade. Ashley is a great girl, a great performer, smart, a survivor. Don't worry about her. She is fine. I just hope she does not say wrong thing in Sochi about the host country's laws. It isn't going to matter much as she is not a big pol or the Pope, but may hurt her. Otherwise she is fine.