Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: US commentators

I think Hammond/Scott/Sandra are slated for the coverage on NBC. On NBC Sports cable network, I think we'll see them try some different things, using Johnny, Tara, Tanith, etc. I think we may see Tara, Johnny, and Tanith used as we saw them at US Nationals, in the venue as a panel giving information about what's happening on the ground.

Incidentally, Tom Hammond is getting close to retirement - this has been in the news.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Speaking of Scott, I'd prefer even Sharapova commentating figure skating. She is going to Sochi with NBC.
    Seriously, who is going to do live event commentating? I thought it's going to be Tara and Johnny. Don't tell me it's Scott and Sandra....
    Tara and Johnny will do the commenting on NBCSN and Scott and Sandra will be on NBC.

Custom Title
    Who commented during vancouver? I recall a single woman along with Hammond but scott wasn't there and she didn't sound like Sandra. At any rate, I didn't like her. There was no excitement and she was relatively quiet.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Tara and Johnny will do the commenting on NBCSN and Scott and Sandra will be on NBC.
    Yes. Excerpts from NBC's press release (Jan 14) re its entire on-air team:

FIGURE SKATING: Tom Hammond, working his 11th Olympics, will be the figure skating play-by-play commentator on NBC. Scott Hamilton, Olympic gold medalist and member of the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, returns as an analyst for his sixth Olympic broadcast assignment. Working alongside Hamilton on NBC are analysts Sandra Bezic, a 1972 Olympian and five-time Canadian pairs champion, and Tracy Wilson, who was part of the first Canadian ice dance duo to earn an Olympic medal in 1988. Andrea Joyce, who returns for her eighth Olympic assignment with NBC, will serve as a figure skating and short track speed skating reporter.

Terry Gannon, who calls figure skating, college basketball and golf for NBC and events on Golf Channel, will handle figure skating play-by-play on NBCSN alongside analysts Johnny Weir, a two-time Olympian and three-time U.S. champion, and Tara Lipinski, the 1998 Olympic gold medalist.

Nancy Kerrigan, a two-time Olympic medalist, will serve as a figure skating commentator for NBC Olympics’ multi-platform coverage, including on NBC and NBCSN. In addition, she will appear on numerous NBCUniversal shows and properties including TODAY, Access Hollywood and E!

~~~~~~

SPORTSDESK REPORTERS: NBC Olympics’ sportsdesk reporters will provide insights and news and contribute to The Olympic Zone – a 30-minute nightly show that airs on NBC affiliates. The reporters, all based in Sochi, include: Olympic silver medalist Tanith Belbin ...

~~~~~~~

OLYMPIC ICE: Olympic Ice, a studio show available on NBCOlympics.com and NBC Sports Live Extra, will offer verified viewers a comprehensive review of all the figure skating news and highlights taking place each day during the Sochi Games. It will air at 5:30 p.m. ET on most days, from February 7-21. Russ Thaler will host the 30-minute show, and will be joined by analyst and 2002 Olympic gold medal-winning figure skater Sarah Hughes.

... Gold Zone, Olympic Ice and Olympic Desk Updates will all be produced at NBC Sports Group’s International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    Who commented during vancouver? I recall a single woman along with Hammond but scott wasn't there and she didn't sound like Sandra. At any rate, I didn't like her. There was no excitement and she was relatively quiet.
    If you are referring to ice dance in Vancouver, Tracy Wilson (see above) provided commentary for NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance... Haven't Tanith and Charlie been dating for quite some time now? I remember seeing interviews around Vancouver that they were dating and even living together. Again, please forgive me if I'm wrong.

For me personally, when my husband is involved, I cannot be neutral. If my husband and I were ice dancers and he was competing at the Olympics and I was commentating, I still could not be neutral.

I would rather have a biased Tanith commentating, for any skating discipline. I would take just about anybody over Scott and Sandra. During the Grand Prix, I was so happy to hear Johnny and Tara commentating. I was very sad when I watched Nationals to find Scott and Sandra in the commentators booth. To me, Scott and Sandra have always been grossly biased towards the Americans and of course their own personal favorites.
    Yes, Belbin and White have been living together for a few years now.
    Thanks for your candor re the impossibility of neutrality regarding your husband. He is a lucky man!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    There was no excitement and she was relatively quiet.
    Sounds like Dorothy Hamill to me...
    Talking about excitement, there must a balance between boredom and over excitement. Scott is on the other side of the spectrum with his really irritating overly childish excitement and exaggerated positivity.
    The perfect balance is Tanith and Johnny. Can't think of better commentators.

Custom Title
    Terry Gannon really needs to be on the A team and Tom Hammond needs to retire he adds nothing to the broadcast.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Scott Hamilton has never commentated ice dance.

In general, I still prefer Hamilton to Tanith. Don't like Tara Lipinski, but I do like NBC's Johnny Weir (don't like Ice Network's Johnny Weir that much though.)
    Scott was the commentator on NBC for the ice dance competition at US Nats. I'm sure of it, unless it was just a nightmare.

No, I'm sure, because I recall him sharing his wit and insight several times.

Besides, who will NBC get to blabber during the ice dance in Sochi? Sharapova?

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Terry Gannon really needs to be on the A team and Tom Hammond needs to retire he adds nothing to the broadcast.
    Yes. I actually like Terry Gannon. It seems he's invested a lot in learning about the sport and title contenders. He's one of the best non-skating-insider commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    OLYMPIC ICE: Olympic Ice, a studio show available on NBCOlympics.com and NBC Sports Live Extra, will offer verified viewers a comprehensive review of all the figure skating news and highlights taking place each day during the Sochi Games. It will air at 5:30 p.m. ET on most days, from February 7-21. Russ Thaler will host the 30-minute show, and will be joined by analyst and 2002 Olympic gold medal-winning figure skater Sarah Hughes.

... Gold Zone, Olympic Ice and Olympic Desk Updates will all be produced at NBC Sports Group’s International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn.[/I]
    One more bit re Sarah Hughes, from a different press release:
    Fans who visit the NBC Olympics Page on Facebook will also have the opportunity to ask questions directly to NBC Olympics commentator and Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes during NBC’s primetime coverage of 11 nights of figure skating performances.
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...ochi-olympics/ (Jan 16)

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Besides, who will NBC get to blabber during the ice dance in Sochi? Sharapova?
    Not unless Tracy Wilson (as listed above) gets to call Wimbledon.

Banned
    Thanks for all of your thoughts on this subject, Golden411.

I have a broadcast background and wonder why NBC -- particularly in a tape-delayed setting -- chooses to skip around between events so much. I found it very difficult to watch their prime-time coverage of the Vancouver Olympics ... it was 2 or 3 skaters for a fluff piece and 15 minutes of skating ... then off to alpine skiing for 20 minutes ... then some useless offsite conversation between Bob Costas and Jimmy Roberts ... then back to a couple more figure skaters for 10 minutes .. and on and on.

Particularly in a tape delayed setting ... is it too hard to show all 6 skaters in next to last group, then show another sport for 30 minutes ... then come back and show all 6 skaters in the final group? I think they eventually got it right with the Ladies Final 6 FS at Vancouver but I remember the rest of their coverage was really poorly executed.

I think Tom Hammond does a professional job, but Scott talks over the performances way too much and doesn't understand points of emphasis. I think Sandra has good talents but unfortunately she's too political and it makes her unprofessional.

Does anyone remember when Laura Lepisto skated in 2010 and Scott and Sandra trashed her throughout the entire performance, even though she went mostly clean? She gave a pretty good skate and it was 4 minutes of trashing her, until she left the ice and after 100 negative comments Scott finally said "eh, I think she did a good job".

Custom Title
    It was interesting that NBC did not use Tracy Wilson for its ice dance commentary in Boston. She has been doing dance commentary for years at Nationals, including at NBC. NBC will be using Wilson in Sochi. I have worked with her for several years in the 90s and she is, of course, very knowledgeable about ice dance in general. However, I would prefer someone like Belbin who has actually competed in ice dance under the IJS, but understand that her relationship to White, especially at an Olympic Winter Games where he and Davis are favorites for gold, would be considered a conflict of interest. It’s unfortunate that there doesn’t seem to be a recent ice dancer, now retired from competition, who can do commentary besides Belbin. Belbin is a natural to takeover dance commentary for TV in the future.
    None of the single skaters who commentate today are knowledgeable enough about IJS ice dance to do effective, informative commentary and that includes Kwan, Lipinski, Weir, Hamilton, Kerrigan, Hughes or Bezic .

Custom Title
    I really don't understand why NBC decided to bring on such a huge team--now Evan is included too? Sponsors clearly wield a lot of power in these decisions. I don't really care one way or another about having Evan or Sarah Hughes--they are not doing the live commentary, andthat's what I'm most interested in. I am, however, quite irritated by the decision to include Kerrigan. She never skated under IJS, and will be a new, extra wheel in a team that has already established how to make the broadcast work. Johnny, Tanith, and Terry Gannon seem to have developed a nice rapport and they're doing excellent commentary. Why mess up something that is clearly working???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I am, however, quite irritated by the decision to include Kerrigan. She never skated under IJS, and will be a new, extra wheel in a team that has already established how to make the broadcast work. Johnny, Tanith, and Terry Gannon seem to have developed a nice rapport and they're doing excellent commentary. Why mess up something that is clearly working???
    I forget where I saw it, but someone said there was a quid-pro-quo between NBC and Nancy. Basically, she got trial job in exchange for exclusive interview re: Kerrigan/Harding incident.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I forget where I saw it, but someone said there was a quid-pro-quo between NBC and Nancy. Basically, she got trial job in exchange for exclusive interview re: Kerrigan/Harding incident.
    Well, that's just awful. Bad decision, imo. I doubt it's even financially a good idea for NBC.

I do wish they had Johnny interview skaters too. I would love to see interviews with not just the US skaters, but from all over the world! Johnny actually knows personally a whole lot of skaters competing in Sochi, he even speaks Russian, and he's witty. A girl can dream, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I really don't understand why NBC decided to bring on such a huge team--now Evan is included too?
    Assume you mean Evan Lysacek. What will his role be? First I am hearing about him as part of the NBC team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast