Pairs FS - 2014 European Championships | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS - 2014 European Championships

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Wow, that was a dismal skate V&T won with. The highlight for me was the Wendes.. I absolutely love that program!! I'm also impressed with Davidovich and Krasnopolski.. didn't know they were that good.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Voloshozar/Trankov (2 falls, 1 step out, no combo) scored today only 3 points less than Shen/Zhao Olympic free skate for their gold medal !!!!!!!!.
How it comes???????

I have been in the arena. The whistle from the audience was not only (maybe not even mainly) because of the win with this epic meltdown, BUT to get this incredibly high points.
The audience is not anymore amateur about the point system, and they know that a 136 points performance is a GREAT performance in every aspect.

Any other pairs doing the very same freeskate would NEVER scored higher than 115-120 points even with a good reputation "factor".....

Shame on the judges.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Voloshozar/Trankov (2 falls, 1 step out, no combo) scored today only 3 points less than Shen/Zhao Olympic free skate for their gold medal !!!!!!!!.
How it comes???????

You remember S/Z FS was marred by a failed lift and also second place.

Big Deal

Final Flight
You remember S/Z FS was marred by a failed lift and also second place.

Are you seriously want to make a comparison between these 2 freeskates as 3 points?
If Shen/Zhao got 139 with the mistake on the lift, what V/T should get with step out in the individuaql jump, fall in the other jump, which avoid them to make the combo and a 2 fotted throw ended up with a fall......

The difference between these are the 2 points deduction for the falls AND 1 SINGLE POINT (including the GOE of the 3 faltered elements )!!!!
Scandalous.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Are you seriously want to make a comparison between these 2 freeskates as 3 points?
If Shen/Zhao got 139 with the mistake on the lift, what V/T should get with step out in the individuaql jump, fall in the other jump, which avoid them to make the combo and a 2 fotted throw ended up with a fall......

The difference between these are the 2 points deduction for the falls AND 1 SINGLE POINT (including the GOE of the 3 faltered elements )!!!!
Scandalous.

There's been massive PCS and GOE inflation since Vancouver. HUGE! Of course it's not scandalous or a problem and at first I was just focused on the S/Z error but then of course the huge massive inflation of scoring since Vancouver in which PCS is moving toward 6.0 style scoring in which 10.00 is normal if you skate well!!!!

Big Deal

Final Flight
Yes, I unfortunately agree with your statement as I already "complained" about that in some other topic.
If everybody scores 9s and 10s, judges has no more room to indicate the real measure of the existing difference between top skaters (my example was Davis/White, Virtue/Moir as permanent 9s-10s skaters compair to Ilinikh/Katsalapov, who also got to the 9s. Judges cannot give than 11,5 points or so, even if the difference betwen these couples would ask to get this difference).

Judges would need to give marks in the 4-5s most of the skaters, and 7 has to be a really great score (Delobel,Schoenfelder almost always got PCS in the 7s region.)
8s is GREAT-
9s is EEXCEPTIONAL.
10 is practically not existing.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Best addams family ever!!
seeing that fs makes me feel some kind of hope for c.o.p

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think the Russian/Soviet program deserved to dominate pairs skating the way they did. Even if maybe one or two results were? I think in general this top three finish made sense too.

I like S/K a lot of all the younger teams, and I think the deserve to move up and yes maybe be considered for the bronze. I don't think the two Canadian teams are better. D/R especially I think he's spectacular but Meghan leaves a lot to be desired for me. I do like Radford a lot. While I think the guy in Ksensia is also weaker than her partner, her lines are for me still much better than Meghan's. M/T for me are okay.

Interesting - I prefer Fedor to Ksenia. Truthfully, "prefer" is the wrong word - I slightly enjoy him more. Her lines aren't that strong, but they do have interesting positions. D/R I enjoy because their choreography is spectacular (like, I'd rank their SP choreography the best going on right now). Anyway, I'm rooting for a Canadian team to medal, but if it's S/K, I'll be pretty excited too.

kappa_1

On the Ice
Best addams family ever!!
seeing that fs makes me feel some kind of hope for c.o.p

+3. The ending gave me chills. One of my favorite programs of the year. Although I want S/S to win the Olympics, and think that V/T will probably win because they are the best right now, I really want this team to sneak in and get a medal.

gnom

On the Ice
+3. The ending gave me chills. One of my favorite programs of the year. Although I want S/S to win the Olympics, and think that V/T will probably win because they are the best right now, I really want this team to sneak in and get a medal.

Definitively one of my favorite pairs since their junior appearance. Very refined. Enjoy them very much and their quite a bit different choreographies.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS LONG PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - Updated

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 220.38 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 207.98 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) - 201.61 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 195.61 Long Program, 2nd Copy
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA)185.48 Long Program, 2nd Copy
6. Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE (GER) - 168.32 Long Program, 2nd Copy
7. Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI (ISR) - 163.93 Long Program, 2nd Copy
8. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 154.55 Long Program
9. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 153.21 Long Program
10. Natalja ZABIJAKO / Alexandr ZABOEV (EST) - 149.82 Long Program
11. Daria POPOVA / Bruno MASSOT (FRA) - 149.36 Long Program
12. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 135.05 Long Program
13. Stacey KEMP / David KING (GBR) - 130.98 Long Program
14. Maria PALIAKOVA / Nikita BOCHKOV (BLR) - 130.46 Long Program
15. Amani FANCY / Christopher BOYADJI (GBR) - 127.76 Long Program

Pairs LP Groups 1+2, Pairs LP Groups 3+4 plus Medal Ceremony, Complete Pairs Long Program

Alex D

Record Breaker
Wow, that was a dismal skate V&T won with. The highlight for me was the Wendes.. I absolutely love that program!! I'm also impressed with Davidovich and Krasnopolski.. didn't know they were that good.

Yes Daniel and Maylin did well, just the timings were a bit off like at the Bell sequence.

You need to give Daniel loads of crédit, he carries an injury too.

Still need to check the scores however, might missed something. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Even though the Olympics will be in Russia, the composition of the Pairs judging panel will change quite a bit - suffice to say, they will be a lot less prone to hand out candy marks than we just saw here, which feels like an inflated national championship. Let's see if S/S can recover on time. As for V/T, maybe the 3rd and 4th rank teams in the world from Canada will be looking to pull off a Shizuka Arakawa style upset if V/T continues to falter like this.

There's no way the Russians don't give the gold to V/T over the Canadians. Two falls and a stepout still scores the same as MT/M's personal best FS, and 6 points higher than D/R's personal best... and that's not even in Russia.

And the 2002 Olympics controversy, while perpetuated by North American media, was also perpetuated by the actual judging scandal, and the fact that B/S had an error in their FS while S/P went clean.

wallylutz

Medalist
There's no way the Russians don't give the gold to V/T over the Canadians. Two falls and a stepout still scores the same as MT/M's personal best FS, and 6 points higher than D/R's personal best... and that's not even in Russia.

And the 2002 Olympics controversy, while perpetuated by North American media, was also perpetuated by the actual judging scandal, and the fact that B/S had an error in their FS while S/P went clean.

It's a long shot, always has, just like Shizuka Arakawa was in 2006. V/T's scoring potential is so far above everyone else that at the beginning of the season, they were surest bet for Olympic Gold in any discipline. But the unthinkable kept happening, first at GPF, then at Euros. These poor skates are starting to undermine their own confidence and as well as those of the judges. Typically top skaters have 1, maybe 2 free pass at most within the same season. A skater or team who has been dominant all season but suddenly falters will more likely receive mitigating factors to soften the impact of their mistakes. The problem is V/T had two competitions where they have been faltering badly and it's starting to look more and more like a trend and that is not good. For example, after the 2010 Olympics, it took a while before judges finally caught on Mao Asada's jumping troubles. The problem on her Triple Axels and Triple Lutzes existed before the Vancouver Olympics but as a dominant skater, they were mostly overlooked. Eventually, she ran out of free passes. By 2011-12, her marks took a big hit and she was in so called "reconstruction" phase for a long time. Similarly, S/S were the dominant pair for a very long time as well, multiple World Championships, then they started to have consistency issues. At first, they were held up like V/T are right now but eventually, the "one-off" incidents became more and more like a trend, therefore, they started to lose the favors. It would be unthinkable just few years ago that a team like Duhamel/Radford, who weren't even together when S/S competed at the 2010 Olympics after multiple World Championships wins, would be able to challenge S/S when the Germans are less than perfect. But no, by 2013, a slightly less than perfect S/S were easily beaten in the SP at Worlds and barely hold down to their spot after the FS in a decision that many felt D/R were undermarked.

The bottom-line is, this is not the time for V/T to start to falter. As evidenced by many other dominant skaters before, once you used up your "free pass" and favors from the judges, it can be rough...

elif

Medalist
Thank God we have Savchenko/Szolkowy for gold If Volosozhar/Trankov makes multiple mistakes. I can't think Duhamel/Radford as olympic gold medalists. :eek:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I saw pairs from behind judges and S/K were so awesome because I could see her performing and facial expressions that I cant on tv or from the other side, I was really ecstatic, the program is old and had seen it already last year but they skate so fresh and I love the little details they have, amazing choreo. Audience gave them SO and were cheered as gold champions on medal ceremony.
B/L thought were over the top with their clothes, they looked like Ice Dance of the 90s, but she has learnt to emote more and she does have more personality than him, if this this possible. I like their sp much more.
Also since arena was small and I was watching from second row, watching from judges side is teliing, I saw Trankov's glare to the judges after his first step out and it is really unfortumate they didnt show on tv:laugh: Also when Tatiana fell he did look frustrated. He is the Diva of the pair. His pants are not so yellow as on tv, I noticed also color differences with Julias red coat that looks more red on video! You miss so many things from tv!

Alex D

Record Breaker
I saw pairs from behind judges and S/K were so awesome because I could see her performing and facial expressions that I cant on tv or from the other side, I was really ecstatic, the program is old and had seen it already last year but they skate so fresh and I love the little details they have, amazing choreo. Audience gave them SO and were cheered as gold champions on medal ceremony.
B/L thought were over the top with their clothes, they looked like Ice Dance of the 90s, but she has learnt to emote more and she does have more personality than him, if this this possible. I like their sp much more.
Also since arena was small and I was watching from second row, watching from judges side is teliing, I saw Trankov's glare to the judges after his first step out and it is really unfortumate they didnt show on tv:laugh: Also when Tatiana fell he did look frustrated. He is the Diva of the pair. His pants are not so yellow as on tv, I noticed also color differences with Julias red coat that looks more red on video! You miss so many things from tv!

You do ;)

I love to watch the facial expressions of skaters, some are amazing at that job. You never see on TV, that's why I hardly watch FS on it. Its a bit like tennis, once been in the crowd - you just cant sit infront of your TV anymore :D

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Honestly, after that performance of S/K, i wish they sneak into podium in Sochi if they are clean. I like them a lot more than the Canadian pairs...