Wonderful / Wonky Lessons & Practices 3/24 - 3-30 | Golden Skate

Wonderful / Wonky Lessons & Practices 3/24 - 3-30

C

Cinderella On Ice

Wonderful / Wonky Lessons & Practices 3/24 - 3-30

It's a new week and another chance to share with us your wonderful and not-so-wonderful (wonky) moments during your skating sessions.

Let us know if we should clap or groan!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: Wonderful / Wonky Lessons & Practices 3/24 - 3-30

Well, after 3 days of fooling around, I decided that I should pay a visit to the emergency room to have the wrist x-rayed because it just "feels funny" and I was afraid to injure it further without knowing what it was.

"It" turned out to be an acute fracture of the distal radius, which is doc-talk meaning I cracked the end of a bone in my wrist.

They put a plaster mold (cast) on, which is gi-normous and incredibly heavy. Today I go to an orthopedic doc who will re-cast it in something much smaller and lighter. I'll probably have to wear it for 4-6 weeks. I should be able to play racquetball and skate (if I'm careful), but won't be starting that strength training any time soon.

I'm just relieved that I've done the right thing by (finally :rolleyes: ) getting it checked!

S

sk8er1964

Cinderella - So sorry that you have joined our ranks of the injured :( . Be very careful - I know it's hard to stop going full tilt, but sometimes it's better in the long run (as I am reluctantly learning).

Wonderful - Had a really good lesson on Saturday. Coach is very pleased with my footwork sequence at the beginning of my program. Being unable to jump for so long, I've really been working hard on controlling double 3's, knee bends and the like. He gave me several tweaking things to work on, too, that will make the program even better. This was my first lesson in 2 weeks, and it's great to be back again. I may not have any doubles at Adult Nationals, but at least my overall skating should be good.

Wonky - Still have some pain, but not horrible. On a scale of 1 -10, last week it was around 5 (before Sectionals I'd have to say it was about 9 to 10). Going to the physical therapy twice a week starting today. 3 weeks to go before AN......

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Cinderella: OUCH!!! Are you sure you want to skate--please get a doc's clearance for that before you do. You don't want to reinjure the area and make it worse. My husband broke his (same place just about) after a little kid cut him off about a year and a half ago and he was told to stay off ice until the cast came off. He still wears rollerblade wrist guards when he skates.

Everyone--HEAL!!! Dr. Beth's orders!!! :rollin: Its most important to be healthy first!!!!

Good practice for me yesterday--seems to have gotten the dropped right shoulder out of the two foot spin, and I finally am doing good back inside and outside edges. And hubby did his first two foot spin yesterday and tried bunny hop and waltz jump at the boards!!! Bravo to my Sweet Babboo!!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Yaz & Mr. Babboo - congrats on the progress made. Must be fun to have someone sharing the ice with you! Though I must say my hubby has been nothing but supportive, standing out there in the freezing cold to videotape me and not complaining about the costs and time of skating.

Sk8er1964 - wish I could come cheer you on at Nationals. I'm sure you'll do great, and you still have a few more weeks to get that pain down closer to 0.

D

dlksk8fan

Cinderella-
Sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope it heals fast!

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Wonky: Very little, aside from a few toe loops today (See below)...

Wonderful: I am EXHAUSTED, and my right leg (landing leg) aches a bit, but what a great morning lesson. 35 MINUTES in the harness today, working on height with waltz jump, salchow and toeloop, and major progress was made. I now think I understand how to "step up" with the waltz and salchow. As coach pointed out, I could "hear" my landings, which meant I was getting some height finally. Of course, eventually, I don't WANT to hear them, but hey this is the first step up (literally!!) to the next level with my jumping. :D

I know it might sound odd to some of you to use the harness for such simple jumps, but for an oldster like me, it takes out the fear factor with height. There was major progress with the waltz and salchow, and some with the toeloop. TL was a bit wonky, but I was pretty tired by the time we started it, so that didn't help, but it got better. Finally started getting the hang of bringing the foot back and through better after picking in. Gee, this is fun!!! ;) :p :cool:

sk8er1964: I wish I could see you at AN, too!!! How goes the wrist, Cinderella?

Take care, everyone!!!

S

sk8er1964

Re: Harness work

I'll bet that was a lot of fun in the harness, Yazmeen. I've never tried it - coach wants me to do it after I heal to get my confidence back on the doubles. Maybe we should have tried that last November when I started doing them and I wouldn't have this injury (of course, hindsight is 20-20).

Once you get used to doing high jumps out of the harness, it'll be even more fun. I remember reading in Kay's journal about the feeling when you expect to hit the ice but your jump is so high that you haven't gotten there yet. It's pretty neat.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: Harness work

Yaz,

In all my previous years of skating, I have never used the harness. I always thought it would be really cool. Maybe my coach will let me try it when I start working on my double jumps.

Glad you had such a great practice! :D

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Thursday's lesson:

Wonky: Actually, nothing!!!

Wonderful: More harness work today, and I don't think I've ever experienced skating exhilaration like I did after doing a waltz-toe combo and realizing that my final landing ended more than a dozen feet down the ice from where I had started. We're not only getting the hang of height, we're going the distance now, too!! Salchow went much improved--its no longer a beensy jump in place, its moving on down the ice, too. I'm actually itchin' to try all of this out of the harness, but that will wait till next lesson as I'm off to Worlds this weekend. Waltz out of harness is already light years improved, better height and distance, coach approved!

Whoo hoo!!!! :cool:

Cinderella: How does the wrist feel?

C

Cinderella On Ice

Yaz, You Go, Girl

Wowie, you've made lots of progress. Congrats.

Thanks for asking about the wrist. I insisted that they recast it because the first one was too long, thick, and constricting. The person who did it was inexperienced, and it was causing me lots of pain. So now I have cast euphoria.

Have a great time at Worlds. Tell us all about it!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Wonderful Practice Today

Have I mentioned lately how much I love love love skating?!

Today's practice was a good one. Hubby videotaped and I worked on the first part of my program (over and over and over). Gosh, I have so much work to do. It makes me a little tired and dizzy and I get overcome with my own speed. But it's exhilerating and fun, too. I'm getting better at nailing the elements while they are in the combination of connecting moves, but the moves need work. So does my "so-called" artistic impression.

Wonky: Skating with a cast was freaking everyone else out.

L

Lanechka

Re: Wonderful Practice Today

I was, as always, bored in class today... 3 turns and edges. That. was. it. I got my certificate of completion of Gamma/Delta and talked to the lady who's gonna be my private instructor. Whee!

I pulled a muscle in my left ankle and in my right leg from stretching too much. It hurts. Wah!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Lanechka - Sorry to hear about the boring lesson. Things will really pick up when you start privates! Then we'll be hearing about lots of great progress from you. Take care of the leg. I was a little stiff today from yesterday's practice--it was the hydroblade that did me in!

L

Lanechka

Ooh, hydroblading. Fun. :)

<strong>Lanie</strong>