Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Kostner’s chances at the Olympics?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Without a doubt. When you watch her skate after the rest, you think, now THERE's a skater. And then she makes a mistake... but anyway. Her programs are gorgeous, especially Bolero which is so special and really. What other lady skater could skate to that music?? If she is clean, it's very hard to say what will happen. She's a former world champion, so there's that. My feeling is that if she were to nail it and the other younger skaters falter even a little, the judges will pounce - to put Caro on the podium. But, it's Caro. So I just hope for an enjoyable skate from her. And anyway, she's a world champion forever. Thank goodness.
    I agree with you. Carolina's skating is exquisite and in my opinion she is really unique. She is my favourite skater and I would love for her to medal, but the European Championship showed that the judging trend is to favour the Russian skaters and this is not going to change at Sochi.
    However, I am hoping that the judging will be fair and that PCS inflation will be more contained and I think it would be a huge faux pas if Adelina and Julia get unfairly overscored at Sochi. The sport will take a hit and Russia will not be able to protray the image of a correct player. Having said that, I am starting to think that for Carolina (or Suzuki or Gold) the only chance to be on that podium is if Adelina and Julia falter. It will be a battle of nerves and I think no one has proved to be impervious to tension among the ladies, except perhaps Yuna.
    I do hope to see great performances from everyone though and marvellous performances from Caro!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    When I try to view this thread I can only see the first page. Pages 2 and 3 won't open :( it's happening with other threads to though not all. Anyone else having this problem? Course, I won't be able to see anyone's reply because I can't open the last page! Argh.

Custom Title
    I think she could medal if she skates perfectly. But Caro rarely skates perfectly. It could happen, though. She is not new to the Olympics and that may help with her nerves. Or maybe not.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    replying to this thread because it's the only way I can see the last page.

ETA: Jenaj and others: I agree. I would not underestimate Caro if she nails her program, even against the Russians with their more difficult jumps and even of the Russians don't falter.

On the Ice
    I´m totally with Jenaj and Layfan and many others.....I´m aware how dissapointed performances Caro had in the past 2 Olys but it also may benefit with the her experiences in the important event so if she just skate the way she can do.(coz SHE CAN)..definitely she would be a medal contender

Custom Title
    Her programs don't seem competitive to me. Maybe things are to be added before the Olympics, but now they seem quite skeletally compared to that of others. And yes wise she seems aged out, has slightly regressed.

Custom Title
    I don't think the Russian girls will get the same pcs at Olympics. There were two judges giving Lipnitskaia higher skating skills than Carolina and there has been much complain about it. Carolina always change her jump content during the season, so we don't know what she plan to do. She know the math and it's her back injury she had this summer and in December who held her down. I hope she will be healthy and have a great skate. If she is healthy, she has the ability to do more. Her jumps are really god and have much greater elevation than Lipnitskaia. I hope she has a skate she is satisfied with. I really hope she will be on the podium, there are really a lot of great skaters, but none have the extention, the skating skills and intrinsic programs Carolina has. She got a standing ovation in both, the short and the free and the two programs are such a piece of art. You have to see it life, to appreciate them, there are no other skater who skate big and like a lady as Carolina. Mao and YuNa and Caro are really greater skaters in the way they express themselves on the ice than the others.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I think if Carolina brings back the 3-3 in both of her programs, her chances will increase tremendously. The judges love Bolero.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by wootie View Post
    Eh, it seems very unlikely that Carolina will medal. Of course if the favorites all implode and get extra sloppy, then maybe she can sneak in for a bronze. Don't get me wrong...I like Carolina's style of skating. She has superb edges and presents her programs with something approaching personality. However, I'm sort of tired of always having to hope against hope that she'll skate a clean program. I have zero confidence in her abilities when she goes out to skate and have sort of resigned myself to just expecting her to botch at least one jump (in a big, ugly way) and then waiting for a sassy, fun footwork sequence. I used to wish that she wasn't such a head case skater, but it's gotten tiring over the years so now I don't care. She's a lovely skater, but she has always been and always will be sloppy with her jump technique. I wish her the best in Sochi, but frankly I don't think she really deserves to medal. A complete, flawless performance from Carolina would be a fluke and not indicative of her mental and competitive strength.
    Dear: stop being a hater.

Banned
    After Europeans I think one thing we all agree on is that it will take a special performance by Carolina to win a medal of any color.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Her programs don't seem competitive to me. Maybe things are to be added before the Olympics, but now they seem quite skeletally compared to that of others. And yes wise she seems aged out, has slightly regressed.
    I also thought she was skating alot more slowly than I remember her from past performances and took a long while to set up her jumps. She looked tired to me. But I think all bets are off if she manages to skate a clean program. Her Bolero is quite beautiful.

Tripping on the Podium
    she needs to run through her programs in practice from beginning to end and include the jumps. practice makes perfect. after all these years, i don't know why you don't do it, caro...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingJackson View Post
    she needs to run through her programs in practice from beginning to end and include the jumps. practice makes perfect. after all these years, i don't know why you don't do it, caro...
    she does it, just not in the practice of the event. And she is still in pain as she told at Euros and she try not to think about it. Her back hurts her a lot. But if she manage to forget about it, she is just the most beautiful out there

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingJackson View Post
    She does full runthroughs at practices in Oberstdorf all the time, just not at competition practice.

Custom Title
    Carolina may not have had the best year but she usually skates well at least once and the olympics could be it. AS for the Russians she will beat themif she skates clean. but imho I dont always see what is so great about her skating or Bolero. she's in themix but she has opened the door clearly for Akiko and if Mao skates badly we could have a slew of potential medallists. Caro was the early medal favourite but she has not done well this year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast