Carolina Kostner’s chances at the Olympics? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner’s chances at the Olympics?

wootie

Match Penalty
Eh, it seems very unlikely that Carolina will medal. Of course if the favorites all implode and get extra sloppy, then maybe she can sneak in for a bronze. Don't get me wrong...I like Carolina's style of skating. She has superb edges and presents her programs with something approaching personality. However, I'm sort of tired of always having to hope against hope that she'll skate a clean program. I have zero confidence in her abilities when she goes out to skate and have sort of resigned myself to just expecting her to botch at least one jump (in a big, ugly way) and then waiting for a sassy, fun footwork sequence. I used to wish that she wasn't such a head case skater, but it's gotten tiring over the years so now I don't care. She's a lovely skater, but she has always been and always will be sloppy with her jump technique. I wish her the best in Sochi, but frankly I don't think she really deserves to medal. A complete, flawless performance from Carolina would be a fluke and not indicative of her mental and competitive strength.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Eh, it seems very unlikely that Carolina will medal. Of course if the favorites all implode and get extra sloppy, then maybe she can sneak in for a bronze. Don't get me wrong...I like Carolina's style of skating. She has superb edges and presents her programs with something approaching personality. However, I'm sort of tired of always having to hope against hope that she'll skate a clean program. I have zero confidence in her abilities when she goes out to skate and have sort of resigned myself to just expecting her to botch at least one jump (in a big, ugly way) and then waiting for a sassy, fun footwork sequence. I used to wish that she wasn't such a head case skater, but it's gotten tiring over the years so now I don't care. She's a lovely skater, but she has always been and always will be sloppy with her jump technique. I wish her the best in Sochi, but frankly I don't think she really deserves to medal. A complete, flawless performance from Carolina would be a fluke and not indicative of her mental and competitive strength.

ITA and I have a weird way of thinking. i don't want a total fluke at the Olympics; I know we want the best skaer on the ice but I just hope this is her one moment She has had her chance int he past and she blew it or was still given a medal anyways.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've had the feeling from the moment that Carolina lost the GPs to other skaters that between her, Yuna, and Mao, she wasn't going to make it on the podium in Sochi. To a much lesser extent, Yuna and especially Mao are vulnerable too should they falter in either of their programs and the Russians skate lights out. Of the Americans, imo, Gracie is the only one with a real shot at the podium. She has much bigger jumps than Ashley, her presentation has improved quite a bit, her SP is even better than her last one and Polina still looks juniorish out there - she's not going to receive the same overly-generous PCS scores that she got at Nationals. Carolina's stock has been falling since the GPs and now losing Euros to Julia and placing behind Adelina I think that the writing is on the wall. She isn't going to beat Yuna nor Mao even if they stumble a little imo and one of Julia or Adelina are going to be on that podium in Sochi. The judges have made that clear over the GP season - and at Euros both girls have now scored over 200 before an international panel of judges, right up there with Mao and Yuna.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I really don't get this love for Kostner and her paltry BV. She received PCS at Euros higher than Mao's PB in the FS and TES around 50 which is just utterly insane. I'm glad the Russianse are eclipsing her.

elif

Medalist
Her Triple Lutz+Triple Toe is huge to say the least, far more powerful than say Julia, who barely left the ice when she jumps. And that final Triple Loop just floats in the air and she is only 16. Some of these youngsters are really knocking on the door with their big jumps. She needs to work on her presentation and packaging and gain more world stage experience as the PCS will be low for now. But with these girls competing in the Olympics and the judges will be seeing them doing these big jumps and 3-3, it will be hard for them not to mark down Carolina's PCS because she is starting to look like Katarina Witt at the 1994 Olympics.

I think after the Lepistö's world medal she just don't want that risk but she needs to do more difficult jumps.

Selene

On the Ice
Her FS at European's was pretty watered down and she's most likely planning to do more at the Olympics. It's quite possible that she'll go for the 3F-3T like at worlds last season. That would get her back to seven triples although she'd be repeating only the easiest triples. And maybe get a jump series back in and replace the ending 3S she had last year with another 2A. She of all people would know what she needs to do to get on the podium, but the question is will her body and nerves allow it.

Carolina hasn't attempted the 3F-3T at all this season. She should have gone for it at Europeans if she has the intention of including that jumping pass in her program at the Olympics.

I just don't see her including the technical content that will be required to make the podium. She could be in the mix after the SP, even with the 3T-3T, but her base value isn't high enough in the FS. Her spins and jumps are really lacking compared to the Russians, who have the homefield advantage.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I would love to see Carolina go out with a medal. But she has had to deal with too many injuries and age is catching up with her. Julia is 11 year younger and that is a life time in figure skating.

andyjo24

Medalist
Olympics is a different playing field. I feel that once Julia is in the same warm up group as say Kim, Asada, Suzuki, Kostner, she willl look weak and juniorish compared to them and will not receive the components she has gotten all season. I mean look at the GPF, Julia received 60 in PCS while Asada received 68.

So i think Kostner will have a bigger advantage in PCS at olympic than she did at Europeans which can hopefully outweigh her few technical flaws

I completely agree with you! Europeans and 4CC scores always tend to be inflated. In addition, PCS is always based on relativity, so I feel Julia will receive lower PCS at Sochi due to the much stronger group. Probably higher than the 60 she received at GPF but lower than the 68 at Euros (Around a 65?).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly hope if my favorite gets knocked off the podium it will be by Carolina. I just dont see how anyone could root against her. She is pure class. I don't however think she can finish higher than 4th or 5th. Good luck to her and her fans.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Carolina still tops Adelina and especially Julia in flow and grace. I don't know how many CoP points that is worth, though.

Without a doubt. When you watch her skate after the rest, you think, now THERE's a skater. And then she makes a mistake... but anyway. Her programs are gorgeous, especially Bolero which is so special and really. What other lady skater could skate to that music?? If she is clean, it's very hard to say what will happen. She's a former world champion, so there's that. My feeling is that if she were to nail it and the other younger skaters falter even a little, the judges will pounce - to put Caro on the podium. But, it's Caro. So I just hope for an enjoyable skate from her. And anyway, she's a world champion forever. Thank goodness.

Eloise

Rinkside
Without a doubt. When you watch her skate after the rest, you think, now THERE's a skater. And then she makes a mistake... but anyway. Her programs are gorgeous, especially Bolero which is so special and really. What other lady skater could skate to that music?? If she is clean, it's very hard to say what will happen. She's a former world champion, so there's that. My feeling is that if she were to nail it and the other younger skaters falter even a little, the judges will pounce - to put Caro on the podium. But, it's Caro. So I just hope for an enjoyable skate from her. And anyway, she's a world champion forever. Thank goodness.

I agree with you. Carolina's skating is exquisite and in my opinion she is really unique. She is my favourite skater and I would love for her to medal, but the European Championship showed that the judging trend is to favour the Russian skaters and this is not going to change at Sochi.
However, I am hoping that the judging will be fair and that PCS inflation will be more contained and I think it would be a huge faux pas if Adelina and Julia get unfairly overscored at Sochi. The sport will take a hit and Russia will not be able to protray the image of a correct player. Having said that, I am starting to think that for Carolina (or Suzuki or Gold) the only chance to be on that podium is if Adelina and Julia falter. It will be a battle of nerves and I think no one has proved to be impervious to tension among the ladies, except perhaps Yuna.
I do hope to see great performances from everyone though and marvellous performances from Caro:)!

Layfan

Record Breaker
When I try to view this thread I can only see the first page. Pages 2 and 3 won't open :( it's happening with other threads to though not all. Anyone else having this problem? Course, I won't be able to see anyone's reply because I can't open the last page! Argh.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she could medal if she skates perfectly. But Caro rarely skates perfectly. It could happen, though. She is not new to the Olympics and that may help with her nerves. Or maybe not.

Layfan

Record Breaker
replying to this thread because it's the only way I can see the last page.

ETA: Jenaj and others: I agree. I would not underestimate Caro if she nails her program, even against the Russians with their more difficult jumps and even of the Russians don't falter.

joannix

Rinkside
I´m totally with Jenaj and Layfan and many others.....I´m aware how dissapointed performances Caro had in the past 2 Olys but it also may benefit with the her experiences in the important event so if she just skate the way she can do.(coz SHE CAN)..definitely she would be a medal contender :yay:

Icey

Record Breaker
Her programs don't seem competitive to me. Maybe things are to be added before the Olympics, but now they seem quite skeletally compared to that of others. And yes wise she seems aged out, has slightly regressed.

npavel

On the Ice
I don't think the Russian girls will get the same pcs at Olympics. There were two judges giving Lipnitskaia higher skating skills than Carolina and there has been much complain about it. Carolina always change her jump content during the season, so we don't know what she plan to do. She know the math and it's her back injury she had this summer and in December who held her down. I hope she will be healthy and have a great skate. If she is healthy, she has the ability to do more. Her jumps are really god and have much greater elevation than Lipnitskaia. I hope she has a skate she is satisfied with. I really hope she will be on the podium, there are really a lot of great skaters, but none have the extention, the skating skills and intrinsic programs Carolina has. She got a standing ovation in both, the short and the free and the two programs are such a piece of art. You have to see it life, to appreciate them, there are no other skater who skate big and like a lady as Carolina. Mao and YuNa and Caro are really greater skaters in the way they express themselves on the ice than the others.

miki88

Medalist
I think if Carolina brings back the 3-3 in both of her programs, her chances will increase tremendously. The judges love Bolero.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty

Dear: stop being a hater.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
After Europeans I think one thing we all agree on is that it will take a special performance by Carolina to win a medal of any color.