How can we best show our support to the beleaguered Ashley? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How can we best show our support to the beleaguered Ashley?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I really wish there was a way to let Ashley know there's a LOT of people that support her. ...

There is. It's called social media. Supporters, as well as critics, have used social media platforms to express their feelings.

Many hundreds have retweeted and favorited the tweets that Wagner posted on Jan 12 and Jan 15 about being chosen for the Olympic team. The same posts on her Facebook page have received many hundreds of likes.

Example: 765 retweets and 1572 favorites for this one (plus 1183 likes on Facebook).

@AshWagner2010
It's been a long 4 years to this point. I'm so proud and incredibly grateful that I'll be representing my country at the Olympics in Sochi!
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/422417557006876672 (Jan 12)​

Plenty of supportive comments for Wagner on social media too ... as well as some non-supportive ones, unfortunately.​

(Although Wagner said that she intended to take a break from social media, she already changed her mind once and sent the Jan 15 tweets. And just because she has not been posting on Twitter and Facebook does not mean that she is not quietly looking at comments. ETA: Or someone could keep tabs on her social media accounts on her behalf, and pass along a general sense of the volume of favorable comments as well as some good examples. It would be an excellent little project for an intern for her agent or one of her sponsors, for example.)

I can't imagine the mentality of people who would send death threats to a young girl who has done nothing but skate in competitions.

I hope Ashley is made aware of the support she has not just from Ashley fans but from skate fans. Maybe the way to do it is to communicate with her coach or her facility, either electronically or by snail mail.

Not disagreeing with you at all, Olympia. What I'm about to say is NOT intended to discourage anyone from sending old-fashioned snail mail or e-mail.

But let's not kid ourselves that snail mail and e-mail are inherently more "pure" or uplifting than social media. Critics also can and do use snail mail and e-mail to send nasty messages to their targets.

Social media platforms are double-edged swords in that negative comments are visible to everyone -- as are positive comments.

For Twitter, all you have to do is sign and start tweeting. Sadly, I have seem some nasty comments on her Twitter and photos she has posted :disapp:

I didn't know she had a tumblr, I will have to check it out.

Wagner's tumblr: ashwagner2010.tumblr.com

She does not have many posts on tumblr. The most recent one was Nov 2013.
(The account really is hers. I remember that @ashwagner2010 tweeted the link when she first joined tumblr.)

I am now a tweeter, and have sent a good tweet to her. ... Anyway, it is easy to sign up and easy to use.

Good for you, skateluvr.
(Off topic: Do you realize that Mao88 has done you a favor and posted videos of Canadian Nats? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?44085-2014-Canadian-Nationals-Videos-amp-Results )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MODS, a small request for you:
Would love for you to fix skateluvr's typo in "beleaguered" in the thread title. Thx --from the spelling "police." ;)

desertskates

Medalist
I just tweeted (or twit? lol) today. Any little bit of positivity in that jumble of bashing on her account has to help a little. I really just wish people would be more aware of the reasons she was selected, and wish her well.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I just tweeted (or twit? lol) today. Any little bit of positivity in that jumble of bashing on her account has to help a little. I really just wish people would be more aware of the reasons she was selected, and wish her well.

I agree, they don't get that the nationals isn't the sole criteria any more, and Ashley is the better choice overall, more consistent and better results which was the main criteria, and not make it about one skater being victimized. The hype now that I see Gracie Gold receive worries me, because it sounds like people think she can win a medal even a gold, and I can't help but think that these expectations are way too high and even if Gracie does her absolute best, people will be disappointed.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
She was gifted a spot for the Olympic Games over a better skater. How much support does she need ?

coppertop1

On the Ice
She was gifted a spot for the Olympic Games over a better skater. How much support does she need ?

Wow. Seriously? This is the kind of attitude that is the reason she needs support. First off, who you think is a better skater is entirely a matter of opinion. Secondly, Ashley had better results than Mirai and that's why she was chosen. She wasn't gifted it, her competition results earned it. People are saying her fifth place at Worlds was a letdown, will anything Ashley does be good enough any more? She needs suppoprt because she's taking the heat for a decision she had no part in making.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I haven't seen everything on the net and I for one only know what is said on social media as a side consequence from reading about it but I am going to go out on a limb and say most of the ugliness is coming not from fans of figure skating but from non-fans. Fans are passionate but at least they are informed, to varying degrees. I think Ashley understands that.

I've seen some pretty ugly things even here thrown at Ashley by "fans" of skating. Former skaters have also chimed in at first attacking Ashley personally for "taking" the spot, and then retracting their original statements to try and save face. But, yes, there's a lot of haterz that don't follow the sport as well.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Spelling police

Thank you Golden, Mao tried to pm me but I cannot delete enough pms -the computer has issues and only my busy brother 4,000 miles away to remote log in -it is constant. Usually a misspell, or typo which is the problem with my weak fingers get underlined in red. I took a guess and no underline. Does that not work in title?

Can I mention a misspell? our dear poster 'Kwanisalegand'- I think Legend is E but did not feel it was polite to point of spelling, grammar, caps because people often post quickly and maybe don't have great spellcheck. Many from other countries. I don't mind you asking. My pm box is full, and when I tried to delete, the little donut just went round endlessly. Oh for a computer expert. I live that screen name, and notice it every time.

As far as topic of Ashley, I did tweet, but then read Ashley took a break from Social media due to the hate. Maybe her family reads here, and will see I and others are caring about her, appreciate her skating, and believe she can even medal if she skates her best and stars align.

Thank you Mao88, I will be heading for Canadian Nationals thread. I did find some recently...it took a long time for people to post those skates. You are so good to us Mao, and everyone thanks you. You are a good PR for Mao and I hope your favorite skates as well as she can!

wootie

Match Penalty
Oh, she'll be fine. She's still making more than any of us will make in our lifetimes, so even if she bombs at the Olympics, let's not get ourselves too worked up over the "tragedy" of her situation.

ladybug

On the Ice
I missed the exhibition gala and wondered how she did. Was she able to skate well. All this pressure she is under makes me concerned that she will not be able to do her best. The people who are sending her negative messages should realize they are sending negative messages to the United States Figure Skating Olympians.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I missed the exhibition gala and wondered how she did. Was she able to skate well. All this pressure she is under makes me concerned that she will not be able to do her best. The people who are sending her negative messages should realize they are sending negative messages to the United States Figure Skating Olympians.

she skated well... teared up at the end for a second... and her hairclip fell out... but the jumps were on and it was a lovely skated program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
she skated well... teared up at the end for a second... and her hairclip fell out... but the jumps were on and it was a lovely skated program.

Wagner was in tears also as she took the ice before her gala program. (Nothing wrong with that -- I don't blame her [or Mirai] for being overcome with emotion.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've seen some pretty ugly things even here thrown at Ashley by "fans" of skating. Former skaters have also chimed in at first attacking Ashley personally for "taking" the spot, and then retracting their original statements to try and save face. But, yes, there's a lot of haterz that don't follow the sport as well.

:eek: wonder who they were?? I've noticed that the skaters in general have been strangely quiet regarding the controversy - except for Gold who, when asked, gave the typical PR response :rolleye:

But yes, the Wagner mud-slinging isn't just limited to the non-fans. In fact, I think some of the worst comments (gasp!) came from Nagasu fanatics and they definitely follow skating closely.

meem

On the Ice
:eek: wonder who they were?? I've noticed that the skaters in general have been strangely quiet regarding the controversy - except for Gold who, when asked, gave the typical PR response :rolleye:

But yes, the Wagner mud-slinging isn't just limited to the non-fans. In fact, I think some of the worst comments (gasp!) came from Nagasu fanatics and they definitely follow skating closely.

There are certain skaters who attract rabid fans and it looks like Mirai is one of them (which is unfortunate because everything I've seen and read about her tells me she's a nice person). I'm sick of the ugliness and stupidity these hate-filled people have posted (online) and said (in newspapers).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just don't get the hatred. The decision was the USFSA not Ashley. And it was in the rules. I know this is not a popular position but even though Sale and Pelletier appeared tob e the victim of salt Lake and no one will admit they appreciated the support aht they though S and P deserved gold or in the case of Mirai to go to the olympics it really causes division in skating and ultimately hurts the sport which right now is not doing well in respect to marketing/popularity. In this case there are really no winners and the spoprt ges a bad rap is being crazy but because of the media and lack of comprehension of cop and in this case the usfsa rules which arent' that different than say Japan we really get a huge uproar that shouldn't happen. such rational people have been misled into misplaced attacking Ashley. But that explains why we have wars and such. I just hope good grace, good manners and logic will rule and soon.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thankfully not EVERYONE upset with the decision is going after Wagner. One VERY vocal person on twitter is lobbying for petitions and voicing displeasure, directing the ammo where it belongs (USFS, USOC) and basically leaving AW alone. Good example being set

ForeverFish

Medalist

Well, what else was Gracie supposed to say? Voicing her support for either side would only throw fuel into the fire -- and let's face it, this close to the Olympics, the skaters shouldn't have anything distracting them from training and competing. The question was asked to elicit a controversial response ("US champion takes sides on Olympic controversy"); it was smart of the USOC and USFSA to have her give a neutral reply that wouldn't offend anyone.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thankfully attention is starting to turn elsewhere - at least that's one good thing about "the internets", attention spans are only so long anymore.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I personally am very surprised at the negative attitude toward Ashley from different factions. I did not expect it. Mirai has fans but she isn't Michelle Kwan in terms of fame/popularity. Imagine if they had left MK off the team after the secret skate? Fan wars- Poor Hughes girl would have been literally crucified.

I don't think Ashley is that popular a person for one reason. She was outspoken in 2012. "It's mine to lose." People do not mind bravado from men-we expect it. Chan, Plushenko, Weir, all have been less than humble. Scott Moir another example. Men are expected to be confident. Women are losing ground everywhere. Ashley tries to be brave and confident, but we saw just how vulnerable she was. She saw Grace Gold in practice, the jumper, the future. Tall thin Gracie, looking every inch the ice princess. Ashley is beautiful-what eyes, yet we here how stunning Grace is. Ashley must have been so worried about her 3/3'a after seeing the new Grace with Frank, slimmer, blonder and jumping very well. Ash still has an artistic edge for me. But we see how she is vulnerable, and the crowd got behind Mirai, not her.

I think Ash is misunderstood and tries to be brave. SHe tries to talk positive and there is a bit of swagger. So what. Good for her. The problem is that feminism is all but dead, and Americans still do not get behind women. We are losing ground. Hillary Clinton's loss to Obama proves we are way behind other countries regarding views toward women and women in leadership.

Ashley may be compounding her popularity problem by her outspoken views on the Russian anti gay issue. Many skaters just shut up and think of themselves. You don't see Meryl risking her gold medal to be. Becuase I try to be logical, ie. this was a deliberated decision from USFSi.e. Ashley did not decide this route, I am surprised and disturbed at the ugliness directed toward Ashley by ? ubers of Mirai? I have to say I am shocked. Maybe Ashley knows people at GS support her and wish her well.

I truly hope she feels angry and skates her programs like a champion. She needs to have a dose of the killer instincts of MK, Sarah Hughes, and Tara. I hope she says to heck with the nut jobs on social media. So Mirai has a few thousand fans. So what, Ashley should say. Show us Ashley, you are tough!!! We want you to skate well. So you have some enemies now. That is life. I hope she has someone sending her the good stuff.

heck I joined twitter to tweet something good. She has more fans than anti fans.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think Ashley is that popular a person for one reason. She was outspoken in 2012. "It's mine to lose."

Actually I find that attitude refreshing. Not your typical ice princess. It's unfortunate she had to get on the team this way - I'm sure if she had been in the top three none of this would be happening.

As for Wagner's likability - I find myself wavering on that. In one sense her candor is sorely welcome in a world where PR soundbytes rule. We need more outspoken skaters like her. Also, before all this mess I appreciated the way she interacted with her fans on social media (not enough skaters/public figures do that). OTOH, there have been instances (TSL interview, having seen her interact w/friends in person) where - I don't know - I get reminded of certain girls I used to know and unfortunately not in a good way. But that's different from knowing someone personally, so...I don't know what to think. I guess provided what I know/don't know, I'll give her the BOTD.